• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Scoring

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

So many people think we need to improve our offense and that we should try to get Parise or Semin.

We finished 7th in the league in scoring and offense is a strength, we are however probably the smallest and least tough team in the league.

Iginla would add even more to our offense than Parise (he scored just as much as Parise this year despite having lesser teammates and getting less ice-time) but would also provide some much needed size and toughness (he would easily be the toughest player we have had in years).

If we couldn't get Iginla or Parise, I wouldn't waste cap space on Semin, I would rather save it for a deadline trade or for a free agent next year.

Here is a list of potential UFAs for 2013-14 who are tough and/or big and can play hockey

Iginla

Malhotra

Burrows

Lapierre

Edler

Brouwer

Hartnell

Jordan Staal

Horton

Lupul

Clowe

Douglas Murray

Stallberg

Getzlaf

Perry

Neil

A.Stewart

J Harrison

Morrow

Svitov

Edited by Johnz96

Are any of them actually available?

Except for Iginla, who ,IMO, isn't going to leave Calgary.

They are all 2012-13 UFAs. I think the OP is think of them as potential trade acquisitions, since they will be in the last year of their contracts.

Most though I would say either won't be traded or would cost more than we could give and/or more than they're worth. As potential UFAs looking forward, I'd be interested in pretty much all of them, though I doubt even half of them will get there.

If we are going to add offense, I think we need to stay away from the older players simply because if we want to reload we need to increase the amount of time for Detroit to draft a top 6 forward and possibly top pairing defenseman. An older player will only stave off mediocrity for a couple years, and with our top players getting older and older, it will only get harder to improve without a high draft pick.

Don't both Jordan Staal and Corey Perry have another year on their contracts?

Edited by Doc Holliday

Except that this 7th place scoring team dried up in the playoffs. No to Semin ... he looks streakish and lazy ... wait a second, that sounds like another player on our team right now. Yes to Iginla as a temp solution (1-2 yrs) till be develop Tatar.

Edited by RedWingsRox

If we are going to add offense, I think we need to stay away from the older players simply because if we want to reload we need to increase the amount of time for Detroit to draft a top 6 forward and possibly top pairing defenseman. An older player will only stave off mediocrity for a couple years, and with our top players getting older and older, it will only get harder to improve without a high draft pick.

you don't NEED high draft picks to improve

Edited by number9

Several thoughts.

1. regular season scoring doesn't mean a whole lot. Look at the Kings. they were one of the worst all season long. Get better with some moves at the end, but it is their defense that is carrying them. Same for the rangers in the east. Just shutout the Devils today.

2. The 2012 FA class is very thin. But the 2013 class has a ton of potential big young scoring forwards in it, as of today. Some will get extended, others have to prove they are healthy. It might make some sense to bank some money for next year. We need to resing Howard and White-UFA's next year, extend Abby, Helm, and Quincy RFA's this year, and find 1 more good Dman.

3. In many ways I think Holland may be looking at next year as the big retooling year. Thus all the talk of wanting Nick and Hommer back for 1 more season. If they come back for say 6 million 1 more more time, plus the money freed up from Cleary and maybe Filppula-UFA's next season, hope for an increase in the CAP for 2013 and we could be sitting on 12-16 million to add a couple of big time young scoring forwards.

Iginla's days are numbered. Parise's 27.

Our top 6 is hurting for a legitimate goal-scorer and a legitimate power-forward. Parise and Perry (respectively) would be unreal. If there's any chance Perry could possibly be had here and now via trade, Holland should go for broke.

you don't NEED high draft picks to improve

I didn't say you NEEDED high draft picks to improve. But your scouting can only do so much and top players in free agency aren't guaranteed (not to mention you have to overpay each and every one of them). And trades aren't a sure thing, either. You have to have talent to receive talent and the longer your team goes without young, highly skilled players in the lineup (not prospects mind you) the harder it is to provide assets that can allow for decent trades.

Several thoughts.

1. regular season scoring doesn't mean a whole lot. Look at the Kings. they were one of the worst all season long. Get better with some moves at the end, but it is their defense that is carrying them. Same for the rangers in the east. Just shutout the Devils today.

2. The 2012 FA class is very thin. But the 2013 class has a ton of potential big young scoring forwards in it, as of today. Some will get extended, others have to prove they are healthy. It might make some sense to bank some money for next year. We need to resing Howard and White-UFA's next year, extend Abby, Helm, and Quincy RFA's this year, and find 1 more good Dman.

3. In many ways I think Holland may be looking at next year as the big retooling year. Thus all the talk of wanting Nick and Hommer back for 1 more season. If they come back for say 6 million 1 more more time, plus the money freed up from Cleary and maybe Filppula-UFA's next season, hope for an increase in the CAP for 2013 and we could be sitting on 12-16 million to add a couple of big time young scoring forwards.

While there's always a few exceptions, this year is something of an anomoly. In recent seasons, teams that score well in the regular season do tend to have more playoff success, as well as a much better chance of making the playoffs in the first place.

I'm sure Kenny is keeping his eye on the future, but I don't think he would (or should) pass up any of the few decent options this year unless the prices are crazy. (Which they easily could be.) Myself, if I couldn't land Parise I'd likely look into an older guy for a year (Selanne would be great. Jagr or Whitney could be realistic.) and hopefully add a second-tier guy like Jones or Parenteau for something decent (though it's probably even more likely that those two get overpaid).

Guest Johnz96

They do, I meant to say 2013-14 UFAs. Sorry for the confusion

With Iginla we would probably win the Cup

Iginla's days are numbered. Parise's 27.

Our top 6 is hurting for a legitimate goal-scorer and a legitimate power-forward. Parise and Perry (respectively) would be unreal. If there's any chance Perry could possibly be had here and now via trade, Holland should go for broke.

Iginla's numbers were almost identical to Parise's this year despite getting less ice-time on a weaker team

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Johnz96

They are all 2012-13 UFAs. I think the OP is think of them as potential trade acquisitions, since they will be in the last year of their contracts.

Most though I would say either won't be traded or would cost more than we could give and/or more than they're worth. As potential UFAs looking forward, I'd be interested in pretty much all of them, though I doubt even half of them will get there.

I meant 2013-14.

I think of them as eitherpossible trade acquisitions or as possible UFA signings a year from now. I wouldn't sign Semin because it wouldn't allow us cap space to acquire someone next year that would suit our needs more than he would.

If we couldn't get Parise, Iginla or Doan, I would only consider Semin (4 points, -4 in 14 playoff games (if Hudler or Franzen scored as little we wouldn't hear the end of it)) on a 1 yr deal, otherwise I would wait and try to swing a deal during the season and if that failed wait until next year and get someone that addresses our needs (scoring is not one of them although the more the merrier).

I think the biggest difference in the Nashville series was goaltending, if Rinne wasn't as good, or if Howard was as good as he was before he got injured this season or as good as he was last year in the playoffs, we could easily have won it. If Nyquist and Smith prove to be as good as hoped and possible Calder candidates, we are still top Cup contenders even without any major acquisitions