Congratulations to the LA Kings

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 1980s24

1980s24

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

The Kings trade for Jeff Carter and call up Jordan Nolan and Dwight King from the minors. King and Nolan are two big bodies that can skate and offer physical play. I am not at all surprised with their success. The Wings ace in the hole from the minors for our cup run was Chris Conner. Kenny has commented before that the Wings will not get bigger and grittier in one season. Seems other teams have figured out this is crucial to a run for the cup. Darryl Sutter has done a fabulous job preparing the Kings for a run for the cup.

#22 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

The Kings trade for Jeff Carter and call up Jordan Nolan and Dwight King from the minors. King and Nolan are two big bodies that can skate and offer physical play. I am not at all surprised with their success. The Wings ace in the hole from the minors for our cup run was Chris Conner. Kenny has commented before that the Wings will not get bigger and grittier in one season. Seems other teams have figured out this is crucial to a run for the cup. Darryl Sutter has done a fabulous job preparing the Kings for a run for the cup.

Agreed
IPB Image

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

If only they can bust out those Gretzky era jerseys for the Finals.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

TSN.

Sounds like he's hopped on board.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

For those of you on twitter, the LA Kings twitter feed has been pretty awesome all year. And now that they're in the Finals is getting some attention.

This is not your bland corporate twitter feed, to say the least. Though they seemed to have toned it down a bit after getting so much attention for taunting Vancouver fans.

http://twitter.com/#!/lakings

After the local media butchered several players' names and one used the Sacramento Kings graphic, I thought this was pretty funny for them to release as "news" too.

http://kings.nhl.com...s.htm?id=632297

I'm sure there's bandwagon fans now that the Kings are doing well, but you also have to appreciate how dedicated a fan you have to be for a hockey team no one else cares about in the city.

Being a Kings fan in LA is practically like being in a secret society. You'll see someone wearing a Kings hat, then you start talking to them about the team and no one around you has any idea what you're talking about.

#26 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Being a Kings fan in LA is practically like being in a secret society. You'll see someone wearing a Kings hat, then you start talking to them about the team and no one around you has any idea what you're talking about.

I wonder how many people in LA that own Kings gear are actually even Kings fans?

Hell, I'd bet that there are more gang bangers in LA that own Kings jerseys and hats that actual Kings fans, lol.

#27 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I wonder how many people in LA that own Kings gear are actually even Kings fans?

Hell, I'd bet that there are more gang bangers in LA that own Kings jerseys and hats that actual Kings fans, lol.

I doubt that. The Kings have always had pretty decent support from the city since Gretzky arrived.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#28 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Or LA fans in general are just a bunch of bandwagoners.

The Clippers have had recent success, and now they're selling out games at Staples and Laker fans are downright worst in the world

bringit.jpg

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

LA is the center of every fad in the country. Los Angeles is Spanish for Trendy Bandwagoners in every category.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I doubt that. The Kings have always had pretty decent support from the city since Gretzky arrived.

Agreed. I know a lot of fans that go back decades.

The city in general is pretty oblivious to hockey, but Kings fans are very dedicated. You have to be to follow hockey in Southern California.

People here can make condescending wisecracks about bandwagoning, but the reality is the Wings have picked up tons more fans with every Cup they've won.

It's been a long time since Detroit was awful like the Kings had been. But when they were, Joe Louis was practically empty. And unlike LA, Detroit is a city with a long hockey history and culture that Los Angeles doesn't have. Detroit is "Hockeytown" as long as the Wings are winning. Everybody loves a winner.

What exactly are you basing this on?

The reality is that if you see someone walking around LA in Kings gear, they're almost certainly a fan. People will wear Dodgers stuff because they want to represent LA in general, but it's not that way with the hockey team.