• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Excellent 'Parise and Suter to Detroit' article

Rate this topic

I think its overly optimistic to think they will get both. I would rather Parise.

I was listening to XM Radio this morning and I forget the guy's name but I know he is the color commentator for the New Jersey Devils. He was asked about Parise's future with the Devils and what the chances of him coming back now that they are in the Finals. He said he doesn't think it's going to matter either way. The chances were 60% that he would not be back. Only because of the financial situation that the Devils are in. In fact he said most of the players have commented that this will likely be the only time they will ever get this opportunity as a New Jersey Devil. A little depressing but one team's loss is another team's gain.

I lost all hope he would become a Red Wing until I heard that from one of there own.

It would be great to have him as a Wing!!!

I have heard on XM that the Preds will sit down with Suter and discus his future, make an offer in attempt to resign him. We will see what happens fairly soon.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think that like Suter, if Parise were going to stay then he would have re-signed by now. He would have signed a long term deal last summer to remain in NJ. He hasn't and that to me speaks volumes. To me it's between Detroit and the Rangers for Parise. The Wings have Dats and Z for him to play with. An excellent head coach in Babs and a very good GM in Holland. Illitch is likely the best owner in the NHL. The Rangers have the best goalie in the league in Lundqvist who is just entering his prime. The best young group of dmen who will only get better. A good head coach in Torts. However I don't know if Parise would enjoy his coaching style. Babs treats his players like men and is tough but fair. Torts is always looking for excuses to be angry just for the hell of it. The Rags have a much shorter travel schedule. Detroit is closer to Minnesota. Long term the Wings have some good young forwards coming up. So do the Rangers. I try to think what I would do in his situation while taking the Wings bias out of it. It's a tough call really. In the end I would go with the Rags because Lundqvist is better than Howard. I don't know. Maybe he doesn't even know what he will do.

I think that like Suter, if Parise were going to stay then he would have re-signed by now. He would have signed a long term deal last summer to remain in NJ. He hasn't and that to me speaks volumes. To me it's between Detroit and the Rangers for Parise. The Wings have Dats and Z for him to play with. An excellent head coach in Babs and a very good GM in Holland. Illitch is likely the best owner in the NHL. The Rangers have the best goalie in the league in Lundqvist who is just entering his prime. The best young group of dmen who will only get better. A good head coach in Torts. However I don't know if Parise would enjoy his coaching style. Babs treats his players like men and is tough but fair. Torts is always looking for excuses to be angry just for the hell of it. The Rags have a much shorter travel schedule. Detroit is closer to Minnesota. Long term the Wings have some good young forwards coming up. So do the Rangers. I try to think what I would do in his situation while taking the Wings bias out of it. It's a tough call really. In the end I would go with the Rags because Lundqvist is better than Howard. I don't know. Maybe he doesn't even know what he will do.

Fair evaluation. But if Parise and Suter really are a package deal, and the cap goes to 70 Million then Detroit (with 18 players under contract and 26 Million in cap space) have a better chance at signing both then the Rags (15 players under contract and 21 Million in cap space).

Hopefully the worst-case scenario is the Rangers get Parise, and Suter comes to Detroit. Better than a kick in the teeth.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Fair evaluation. But if Parise and Suter really are a package deal, and the cap goes to 70 Million then Detroit (with 18 players under contract and 26 Million in cap space) have a better chance at signing both then the Rags (15 players under contract and 21 Million in cap space).

Hopefully the worst-case scenario is the Rangers get Parise, and Suter comes to Detroit. Better than a kick in the teeth.

Even if I were not a Wings fan, I would rate them as a favourite for both Suter and Parise. I have a feeling that Gaborik could be moved in a separate deal to make room for a guy like Parise or Nash. Sather is a master deal maker. He always has been. It's free agency he struggles with. I recall back in 1990 when he fleeced Bryan Murray in a trade before the playoffs. We got Jimmy Carson and the Oilers got Adam Graves and Joe Murphy. Heck he even got Peter Klima who scored that big OT goal in Game 1 of the SCF. Graves and Murphy paired with Mark Lamb and formed their KID LINE which played very well during their Cup run. Anyway, back on topic...I think the Wings still have a shot at one or both. I think they sign Parise and Suter this summer. Next summer they sign Weber to replace Nick. But hey I'm just a biased Wings fan.

While I agree that Detroit is one of the favorites for Parise and Suter....NJ and NSH both know they're most likely not resigning these guys and thus they will be doing the only thing they can do, shopping their rights. Remember what happened with Wisniewski last year? I thought he was a shoe in to sign with Detroit through free agency (turned out he's not a fan of the wings, but that's besides the point). Montreal traded his rights to Columbus and he never hit FA. I think there's a very good chance this could happen with Zach and Ryan......and that would really piss me and Holland off. Hope Kens willing to take drastic action this year.

Guest Hatethedrake!

While I agree that Detroit is one of the favorites for Parise and Suter....NJ and NSH both know they're most likely not resigning these guys and thus they will be doing the only thing they can do, shopping their rights. Remember what happened with Wisniewski last year? I thought he was a shoe in to sign with Detroit through free agency (turned out he's not a fan of the wings, but that's besides the point). Montreal traded his rights to Columbus and he never hit FA. I think there's a very good chance this could happen with Zach and Ryan......and that would really piss me and Holland off. Hope Kens willing to take drastic action this year.

Thank God we didn't get Wiz. We would not be players for Suter on July 1st. NSH and NJ can trade the players rights but it doesn't mean they will sign with those teams who acquire them.

Thank God we didn't get Wiz. We would not be players for Suter on July 1st. NSH and NJ can trade the players rights but it doesn't mean they will sign with those teams who acquire them.

of course it's not for sure that they would sign with the team who acquires them....but i think it's hard to turn down long-term 9 million a year contracts from the bum franchises who will offer that. Hope they about the hockey and aint about the money.

nashville can still resign ryan suter,they are gonna meet sometime this week and discuss the future, he hasn't said that he would like to test free agency and nj is probaly only thinking about winning the stanley cup right now ,not about whether or not they can resign parise

nashville can still resign ryan suter,they are gonna meet sometime this week and discuss the future, he hasn't said that he would like to test free agency and nj is probaly only thinking about winning the stanley cup right now ,not about whether or not they can resign parise

Yeah you guys may be able to keep him, just be prepared to lose a lot of your good young players to free agency if he resigns, won't be able to afford everyone. Plus I've heard NSH already tried to extend him and have thrown lots of money his way and he's turned it all down, lookin like he wants to test the FA waters.

NJ has already said there's a 60% chance he won't be a Devil next year. It's managements job to think about resigning Parise and their future. They're definitely thinking about it and sizing things up right now.

Guest Hatethedrake!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS(follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiledwithout the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP:$70,000,000; CAPPAYROLL: $68,883,712; BONUSES:$37,500

CAP SPACE (23-manroster): $1,116,288

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS(follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiledwithout the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP:$70,000,000; CAPPAYROLL: $68,883,712; BONUSES:$37,500

CAP SPACE (23-manroster): $1,116,288

I actually would not mind that roster what-so-ever...except I see Vokoun coming here instead of Harding...

Honestly, with a $70M Cap(possible) and Lidstrom NOT coming back, I could see a trifecta signing of Vokoun/Semin/Wideman out of Washington...

edit:Let Quincey go for the 2013 draft picks...Goodbye Hudler! Oh, that will sure make me happy!

Edited by LeftWinger

May be the biggest off season since the 2002 Cup....

Not only do we need to upgrade the team in the areas we all know about, now we need to replace Lidstrom and likely Holmstrom.

Massive, massive changes are coming.

I think that like Suter, if Parise were going to stay then he would have re-signed by now. He would have signed a long term deal last summer to remain in NJ. He hasn't and that to me speaks volumes.

You're absolutely right. Nashville and NJ would have these guys locked up by now if they were going to stay. You don't let a big name get this close to being a UFA if you're going to re-sign them. I think those two are out of the running for these players.

Preds don't have the cash to keep Suter, Weber, both Kostitsyns, Radulov, Wilson, Lindback, Spaling, and a plethora of other role players that have played such a big part of their team's success over the past several years. They're giving 7 mil a year to Pekka, they're going to be throwing AT LEAST that much to Weber over the next few years, so I honestly don't see the Preds throwing that much at another player long-term.

As far as the whole "package deal," I'm taking that tidbit with a grain of salt.