• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Since when did this thread turn into an episode of The Bachelor?

I think the Wings are up there in the running with about 5 - 8 teams. But they don't poke out as being the favorites. One or both could easily sing in Detroit. But, just as easily, they could go elsewhere. Saying they won't sign here is silly. But saying the Wings are in the best position to sign them is also silly.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#62 sureWhyNot

sureWhyNot

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

The Wings WERE contenders this year and will be next year with or without any moves

No they weren't and no they won't.

The last three years were two second round exits and a first round ousting. To claim this team, as is, will be contending for anything other then the 5-7th seed is ludicrous. A complete disregard for reality so to say.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings."

- Steve Yzerman

#63 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Since when did this thread turn into an episode of The Bachelor?

I think the Wings are up there in the running with about 5 - 8 teams. But they don't poke out as being the favorites. One or both could easily sing in Detroit. But, just as easily, they could go elsewhere. Saying they won't sign here is silly. But saying the Wings are in the best position to sign them is also silly.

nashville and new jersey are the only two teams that are in the best position to sign them,since no other team can talk to them until july 1st and neither player has told their agent that they wanna test the free agent market,there is no reason to think that they won't sign with their current team

#64 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

It's a nice article and a nice thought of the possibility of signing Suter and Parise.. but I have little interest in speculation.

#65 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well, without sounding like I am on their dicks, it nice that the article refers to them maybe wanting Detroit as much as Detroit wants them, AND a "senior executive" saying he understands they are a package deal...I see $15M-$16M being spent very wisely this July 1st. Secure our Future. 10 yrs each. Get it Done! I see my dream roster quite possibly happening...now all we need is that Cap to go up so Lidstrom can come back too!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#66 ozone923

ozone923

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

now all we need is that Cap to go up so Lidstrom can come back too!

Gonna be honest I hate how he says "It's never about the money" and he still hasn't gone down to4-5 million. Or even 3. One of my favourite players ever, but for FCKS sakes, what the organization has done for you... take much less and win one more.
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

#67 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

Gonna be honest I hate how he says "It's never about the money" and he still hasn't gone down to4-5 million. Or even 3. One of my favourite players ever, but for FCKS sakes, what the organization has done for you... take much less and win one more.

What makes you think he deserves to be low balled?

For f***s sake, the guy has earned twice his salary over his career. Don't get on him for not taking a ridiculous pay cut just because you want it.

Posted Image

#68 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

Lidstrom had 12 fewer points in 9 fewer games and a better plus/minus than Ryan Suter, whom everyone seems to think deserves 7+ million dollars this year. If Suter is worth that then no way in hell is Lidstrom only worth 3-5 million.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#69 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:19 AM

Got a good chuckle at the bottom of the page with all the reader comments; surprisingly many sound as optimistic as centcougar07, Richdg, and myself :rolleyes:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#70 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

With the Devils run I see Parise staying more than going now.

#71 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Maybe not. If LA just pounds the living s*** out of them, like they've done everyone else then perhaps the frustration will be worse actually. If the series is really close though, I'd have to agree with you.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#72 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

If the Devils lose, which I am confident they will, I still see Parise walking away. Why? Because the Devils are not that good of a team heading into the future. Marty may or may not retire after this year, but regardless once he is gone, their team will not be nearly as good and I think Parise knows that.

#73 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Got a good chuckle at the bottom of the page with all the reader comments; surprisingly many sound as optimistic as centcougar07, Richdg, and myself :rolleyes:

Your point being?

Posted Image

#74 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

If the Devils lose, which I am confident they will, I still see Parise walking away. Why? Because the Devils are not that good of a team heading into the future. Marty may or may not retire after this year, but regardless once he is gone, their team will not be nearly as good and I think Parise knows that.

Change "Devils" to "Red Wings" and "Brodeur" to "Lidstrom" and you still have a true statement.

#75 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

They don't have the money to sign him. They don't even know who's going to own the team in the next year or two. It's so financially unstable that there really isn't any chance he re-ups there in my mind. Plus, they aren't going to be as good in the future (already been stated but just reiterating).

#76 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I hate to get my hopes up but it's hard not to. I may be in the minority thinking the Wings can pull this off but I'm pretty optimistic about it.
I don't get the people saying that players wouldn't want to come here because of an "uncertain future"...wouldn't signing these guys improve that future? invalid argument

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#77 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

I hate to get my hopes up but it's hard not to. I may be in the minority thinking the Wings can pull this off but I'm pretty optimistic about it.
I don't get the people saying that players wouldn't want to come here because of an "uncertain future"...wouldn't signing these guys improve that future? invalid argument

Improve? Yes. But you can't pin the stability of an organizations future on two FA's who may or may not sign

#78 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Improve? Yes. But you can't pin the stability of an organizations future on two FA's who may or may not sign

I'm not talking about pinning the whole organization on two guys. I'm just saying that it makes no sense to say that our future is any less certain than any other team and that it would have an effect on those guys wanting to be in Detroit.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#79 ozone923

ozone923

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm not talking about pinning the whole organization on two guys. I'm just saying that it makes no sense to say that our future is any less certain than any other team and that it would have an effect on those guys wanting to be in Detroit.

Agreed. Our near future is certain... elite talent willing to give it their all to retain their status as 'top-dog' after two 2nd round and one 1st round exit. Long-term future, lots of you seem to doubt our organization. We have been going strong for 20 years now, and yes every good thing comes to an end, but why would you think now? There's no real concrete evidence IMO. We went from 02 to 08 with nothing, and I bet the same crap was being spewed about Detroit's dynasty 'about to fall' then!
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

#80 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

Both are just that a dream I would be tremendously happy with Suter. I think people hardly doubt the organization some are just justifiably worried. In case of all this parity s*** which basically means O 6 teams + tankers are now paying for small market teams its so tough, to stay at the top.

I have faith that this shop will be headed in the right direction again, but we need to adopt and play a more babcocklike style, therefore signing some guys like Prust, Scott or Konopka will equally if not more important.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!