• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think its overly optimistic to think they will get both. I would rather Parise.

#102 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think its overly optimistic to think they will get both. I would rather Parise.

I was listening to XM Radio this morning and I forget the guy's name but I know he is the color commentator for the New Jersey Devils. He was asked about Parise's future with the Devils and what the chances of him coming back now that they are in the Finals. He said he doesn't think it's going to matter either way. The chances were 60% that he would not be back. Only because of the financial situation that the Devils are in. In fact he said most of the players have commented that this will likely be the only time they will ever get this opportunity as a New Jersey Devil. A little depressing but one team's loss is another team's gain.
I lost all hope he would become a Red Wing until I heard that from one of there own.

It would be great to have him as a Wing!!!

#103 arag

arag

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have heard on XM that the Preds will sit down with Suter and discus his future, make an offer in attempt to resign him. We will see what happens fairly soon.

#104 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

I think that like Suter, if Parise were going to stay then he would have re-signed by now. He would have signed a long term deal last summer to remain in NJ. He hasn't and that to me speaks volumes. To me it's between Detroit and the Rangers for Parise. The Wings have Dats and Z for him to play with. An excellent head coach in Babs and a very good GM in Holland. Illitch is likely the best owner in the NHL. The Rangers have the best goalie in the league in Lundqvist who is just entering his prime. The best young group of dmen who will only get better. A good head coach in Torts. However I don't know if Parise would enjoy his coaching style. Babs treats his players like men and is tough but fair. Torts is always looking for excuses to be angry just for the hell of it. The Rags have a much shorter travel schedule. Detroit is closer to Minnesota. Long term the Wings have some good young forwards coming up. So do the Rangers. I try to think what I would do in his situation while taking the Wings bias out of it. It's a tough call really. In the end I would go with the Rags because Lundqvist is better than Howard. I don't know. Maybe he doesn't even know what he will do.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#105 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I think that like Suter, if Parise were going to stay then he would have re-signed by now. He would have signed a long term deal last summer to remain in NJ. He hasn't and that to me speaks volumes. To me it's between Detroit and the Rangers for Parise. The Wings have Dats and Z for him to play with. An excellent head coach in Babs and a very good GM in Holland. Illitch is likely the best owner in the NHL. The Rangers have the best goalie in the league in Lundqvist who is just entering his prime. The best young group of dmen who will only get better. A good head coach in Torts. However I don't know if Parise would enjoy his coaching style. Babs treats his players like men and is tough but fair. Torts is always looking for excuses to be angry just for the hell of it. The Rags have a much shorter travel schedule. Detroit is closer to Minnesota. Long term the Wings have some good young forwards coming up. So do the Rangers. I try to think what I would do in his situation while taking the Wings bias out of it. It's a tough call really. In the end I would go with the Rags because Lundqvist is better than Howard. I don't know. Maybe he doesn't even know what he will do.

Fair evaluation. But if Parise and Suter really are a package deal, and the cap goes to 70 Million then Detroit (with 18 players under contract and 26 Million in cap space) have a better chance at signing both then the Rags (15 players under contract and 21 Million in cap space).

Hopefully the worst-case scenario is the Rangers get Parise, and Suter comes to Detroit. Better than a kick in the teeth.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#106 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Fair evaluation. But if Parise and Suter really are a package deal, and the cap goes to 70 Million then Detroit (with 18 players under contract and 26 Million in cap space) have a better chance at signing both then the Rags (15 players under contract and 21 Million in cap space).

Hopefully the worst-case scenario is the Rangers get Parise, and Suter comes to Detroit. Better than a kick in the teeth.

Even if I were not a Wings fan, I would rate them as a favourite for both Suter and Parise. I have a feeling that Gaborik could be moved in a separate deal to make room for a guy like Parise or Nash. Sather is a master deal maker. He always has been. It's free agency he struggles with. I recall back in 1990 when he fleeced Bryan Murray in a trade before the playoffs. We got Jimmy Carson and the Oilers got Adam Graves and Joe Murphy. Heck he even got Peter Klima who scored that big OT goal in Game 1 of the SCF. Graves and Murphy paired with Mark Lamb and formed their KID LINE which played very well during their Cup run. Anyway, back on topic...I think the Wings still have a shot at one or both. I think they sign Parise and Suter this summer. Next summer they sign Weber to replace Nick. But hey I'm just a biased Wings fan.

#107 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

While I agree that Detroit is one of the favorites for Parise and Suter....NJ and NSH both know they're most likely not resigning these guys and thus they will be doing the only thing they can do, shopping their rights. Remember what happened with Wisniewski last year? I thought he was a shoe in to sign with Detroit through free agency (turned out he's not a fan of the wings, but that's besides the point). Montreal traded his rights to Columbus and he never hit FA. I think there's a very good chance this could happen with Zach and Ryan......and that would really piss me and Holland off. Hope Kens willing to take drastic action this year.

#108 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

While I agree that Detroit is one of the favorites for Parise and Suter....NJ and NSH both know they're most likely not resigning these guys and thus they will be doing the only thing they can do, shopping their rights. Remember what happened with Wisniewski last year? I thought he was a shoe in to sign with Detroit through free agency (turned out he's not a fan of the wings, but that's besides the point). Montreal traded his rights to Columbus and he never hit FA. I think there's a very good chance this could happen with Zach and Ryan......and that would really piss me and Holland off. Hope Kens willing to take drastic action this year.

Thank God we didn't get Wiz. We would not be players for Suter on July 1st. NSH and NJ can trade the players rights but it doesn't mean they will sign with those teams who acquire them.

#109 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thank God we didn't get Wiz. We would not be players for Suter on July 1st. NSH and NJ can trade the players rights but it doesn't mean they will sign with those teams who acquire them.

of course it's not for sure that they would sign with the team who acquires them....but i think it's hard to turn down long-term 9 million a year contracts from the bum franchises who will offer that. Hope they about the hockey and aint about the money.

#110 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

nashville can still resign ryan suter,they are gonna meet sometime this week and discuss the future, he hasn't said that he would like to test free agency and nj is probaly only thinking about winning the stanley cup right now ,not about whether or not they can resign parise

#111 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

nashville can still resign ryan suter,they are gonna meet sometime this week and discuss the future, he hasn't said that he would like to test free agency and nj is probaly only thinking about winning the stanley cup right now ,not about whether or not they can resign parise

Yeah you guys may be able to keep him, just be prepared to lose a lot of your good young players to free agency if he resigns, won't be able to afford everyone. Plus I've heard NSH already tried to extend him and have thrown lots of money his way and he's turned it all down, lookin like he wants to test the FA waters.

NJ has already said there's a 60% chance he won't be a Devil next year. It's managements job to think about resigning Parise and their future. They're definitely thinking about it and sizing things up right now.

#112 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

With Lids possible retirement tomorrow AND the Cap possibly going up to $70M, look for Holland to make Ryan Suter the absolute highest paid defender in the NHL...for 10 years minimum...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#113 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen($3.955m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Josh Harding ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS(follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiledwithout the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP:$70,000,000; CAPPAYROLL: $68,883,712; BONUSES:$37,500
CAP SPACE (23-manroster): $1,116,288

#114 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

May be the biggest off season since the 2002 Cup....
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#115 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

It has to be because the Wings are at a cross roads if we don't do much it is possible we may not be in the playoffs next year plus we NEED a top 6 D-Man with Nick retiring.

#116 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen($3.955m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Josh Harding ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS(follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiledwithout the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP:$70,000,000; CAPPAYROLL: $68,883,712; BONUSES:$37,500
CAP SPACE (23-manroster): $1,116,288

I actually would not mind that roster what-so-ever...except I see Vokoun coming here instead of Harding...

Honestly, with a $70M Cap(possible) and Lidstrom NOT coming back, I could see a trifecta signing of Vokoun/Semin/Wideman out of Washington...

edit:Let Quincey go for the 2013 draft picks...Goodbye Hudler! Oh, that will sure make me happy!

Edited by LeftWinger, 30 May 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#117 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Not only do we need to upgrade the team in the areas we all know about, now we need to replace Lidstrom and likely Holmstrom.

Massive, massive changes are coming.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#118 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Massive changes are good right now. Scary but good I'm excited right now and not depressed...

#119 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

I think that like Suter, if Parise were going to stay then he would have re-signed by now. He would have signed a long term deal last summer to remain in NJ. He hasn't and that to me speaks volumes.

You're absolutely right. Nashville and NJ would have these guys locked up by now if they were going to stay. You don't let a big name get this close to being a UFA if you're going to re-sign them. I think those two are out of the running for these players.

#120 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ya, I think Zach & Ryan are anxious to see what they're worth on the open market. You have to remember, these are people as well so it has to be exciting for them.