• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Report: Alain Vigneault confirms Roberto Luongo wants to leave Canucks

Rate this topic

Click Here

The big question this summer for the Vancouver Canucks is will he stay or will he go? He is of course Roberto Luongo, their No. 1 goaltender for the past six seasons and a Vezina Trophy finalist twice in those six seasons.

While the question of will he go still has to be answered, coach Alain Vigneault has answered whether or not Luongo wants to go.

Speaking with TVASports after signing his new extension with the Canucks on Wednesday, Vigneault talked about his No. 1 goalie. I didn't take French growing up (I studied Spanish instead) so I turned to Google translate to help. Here's what it tells me Vigneault said.

In a telephone interview with the TVA Sports, Wednesday, one who just sign a new deal that will keep him at the helm of the Canucks for the next three seasons indicated that Luongo wants to leave the Canadian team, which he took on the uniform for six seasons.

"This is what he wants now, Vigneault told the TV show "The Match" on Wednesday. And what we must do is [make the best decision] for our organization.

"We will act in the best interest of our organization, while watching what is best for Roberto."

The situation has of course been brought on by the emergence of Cory Schneider. Not to mention that the tide has turned on Luongo where he has definitely fallen out of favor with the rabid fans. It's not like he has played poorly at all, he has just been the scapegoat for the fans, especially since he struggled for a stretch of last year's playoffs.

Vigneault made sure to clear that misconception.

"Roberto has been blamed more than any other [for the elimination of the Canucks]," Vigneault said in the interview. "Especially after the defeat against Boston. It was not fair."

But back to Schneider, he has been arguably the best backup goaltender in the NHL the past two seasons and many feel it's his time to take over somewhere. If you're Vancouver, you'd like it to be there. That means the older and more expensive Luongo would be asked to split more time.

The questions about this very issue came up immediately after the Canucks were eliminated, the writing seemed to be on the wall that one of the goalies was going to leave Vancouver. For his part, Luongo was very professional and said all the right things to the media but reading between the comments he sure didn't sound like somebody who was opposed to going somewhere else.

Now we have the coach saying as much.

This is going to spice up the goaltender market this summer a lot. Looking at the free agents there aren't many that will strike your fancy, so Luongo, if he is indeed made available, will likely draw a lot of attention and the Canucks could be in a position of strength in trade talks.

It looks like its confirmed. Schneider will be the starter in Crazy Canuck land and Bobby Luo will be playing elsewhere. I wonder who would be willing to take on that contract considering his shaky playoff performance? There are a handful of teams in need of goaltending help.

Discuss!

It's not surprising. Luongo played fine this postseason and still got yanked for Schneider. I know the excuse was to change momentum, but you really only do that during the course of a game. You don't yank your starting goaltender during a series. At least not if you think he gives you the best chance to win.

Vigneault can say what he wants about Luongo getting too much hate for his performance (which may be true) but he hasn't exactly shown a ton of faith in him since then. If anyone will take on that contract, it's probably best for both teams if Luongo moves on.

Plus Vancouver games will get slightly less annoying not having to hear "Loooouuuuuu" anytime Luongo makes a routine save.

It'll be interesting to see how Schneider does as the number 1. He's been very good, but as we've seen before there's a big difference between looking great for 30 games as the backup, and having the pressure of being the number one guy and playing 50+ games a season.

Some goalies rise to the challenge, some start playing puckered.

It's not surprising. Luongo played fine this postseason and still got yanked for Schneider. I know the excuse was to change momentum, but you really only do that during the course of a game. You don't yank your starting goaltender during a series. At least not if you think he gives you the best chance to win.

Vigneault can say what he wants about Luongo getting too much hate for his performance (which may be true) but he hasn't exactly shown a ton of faith in him since then. If anyone will take on that contract, it's probably best for both teams if Luongo moves on.

Plus Vancouver games will get slightly less annoying not having to hear "Loooouuuuuu" anytime Luongo makes a routine save.

It'll be interesting to see how Schneider does as the number 1. He's been very good, but as we've seen before there's a big difference between looking great for 30 games as the backup, and having the pressure of being the number one guy and playing 50+ games a season.

I'll be happy when I don't have to hear that anymore

Until he goes to Columbus and we have to hear it 6 times a year.

If he was to get traded to the Blue Jackets (Which I doubt he would waive his NTC for, s*** I wouldn't) who or what do you think they would have to ship to the 'Nucks in return?

Guest Hatethedrake!

I see him going to New Jersey if Marty leaves. If not the Blue Jackets would also make sense. Maybe Luongo for Nash?

I can't see Fatso leaving with NJ doing so well right now. Even though he let in some bad goals last night. I see Luongo being a Leaf.

I see him going to New Jersey if Marty leaves. If not the Blue Jackets would also make sense. Maybe Luongo for Nash?

I cannot recall exactly who or when it was said, pretty sure it was on NBC or one of those channels that Brodeur hoped to play another season next year. If that is true I don't see them making an offer for him. I don't think they would want to part with any of their players either. Another note is that since they are strapped for cash that would be hefty contract to add.

No matter where Luongo goes, expect Vancouver to have to take a bad contract coming the other way in return. For instance, if he went to Columbus, I'd expect someone like Wiz to be involved.

The Canucks won't be getting elite talent OR a salary dump out of this one.

Don't know what all the hype is all about. AV didn't say anything that people didn't know already. Everybody knew that Luongo wanted out at the end of the season.

Well that doesn't sound right at all. We knew at the end of the season that Luongo said he was willing to leave Vancouver and would allow to give up his clause. Now, he's saying that he actually wants OUT of Vancouver. Which is a bit different. We could've guessed what was going to happen, but originally it was about Luo giving up his NTC and saying he would be willing to leave Vancouver if that was what they wanted.

Well that doesn't sound right at all. We knew at the end of the season that Luongo said he was willing to leave Vancouver and would allow to give up his clause. Now, he's saying that he actually wants OUT of Vancouver. Which is a bit different. We could've guessed what was going to happen, but originally it was about Luo giving up his NTC and saying he would be willing to leave Vancouver if that was what they wanted.

Really, isn't the difference splitting hair? Willing to leave or wanting out is a very fine line if you stop to think about it. I think it was Luongo's respectful & public way of saying he wants out at the end of the season without actually saying, 'I want out'.

I think Schneider outplayed Lu this postseason. He made it closer for the Canucks to hang in the games but at the same time the offense for the Nucks was invisible.

Here's another link pretty much saying the same type of thing. Luongo wants out.

Here is another article stating the Lightning aren't interested. Good choice/descicion by Stevie Y in my opinion!

Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman revealed yesterday that he is not that interested in trading for Vancouver Canucks netminder Roberto Luongo.

While his current starting goalie, veteran Dwayne Roloson, is headed towards unrestricted free agency this summer, Yzerman has made it clear that he is looking for an upgrade in between the pipes, but that it will not necessary happen via trade.

"But good luck trying to do that, it takes time," Yzerman said during an interview on Tampa radio station WDAE on Thursday. "We'll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency -- that guy isn't there at this time."

Although the GM is keeping an eye on young Finnish goaltender Riku Helenius, he did mention to the Tampa Times that he still will try the trade route to possibly acquire his No.1 netminder.

"My preference," Yzerman said, "is to go with a little bit younger guy that maybe has a little less experience that can step up and play well for us now."

Speculation had first suggested that Yzerman would try to land Luongo, but it is believed that the 10 years left on his deal that pays him $6.714 million for the next six years is too big of an obstacle for the team.

"We're trying to identify a guy who we think may be ready to be a starter as oppose to one of the veterans and waiting until July 1," he said.

With two first-round picks and four selections in the second, the Bolts have a lot to offer teams looking for a deal and might use some of that arsenal to potentially get Los Angeles Kings' Jonathan Bernier or Nashville Predators' Anders Lindback.

Yzerman could also investigate about Minnesota Wild backup Josh Harding, though the GM remains careful about the choice he'll make to improve the club's goaltending situation.

"I'm not going to do a long-term deal with someone I'm not comfortable with," Yzerman said.

I think Luongo would do a lot better playing in the U.S. than for a Canadian team...

He's a really emotional goalie and as soon as he lets in one bad goal the fans in Van get down on him which isn't easy for anyone probably but he can't take it and then he plays worse. I just think he'd do better playing for a team with less finicky fans and Canadians are pretty intense about hockey so it's a lot of pressure.