• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ozone923

Who's going to make it big if anyone?

Rate this topic

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The prospect game is one of the biggest traps fans fall into. Every teams site has the same thing going on. these 5, 10, 15 whatever players are going to be great in a few years. maybe 1 out of 10 every turns into anything. There are towns in the northern part of the US and in canada, where just about every man played junior hockey, yet none make it to the NHL. You have to remember, Juniors is for 17, 18, and 19 year old KIDS! High school age players. Even moving up to the AHL is a major step.

If we return to the days on building only through the draft, we will become the Dead Wings once again. Then after 3-6 years of drafting the top talent we can move back up. I don't ever want to see that type of hockey from the Wings again! I still have nightmares from the late 70's and early 80's....... 20 win seasons........ YUCK!

Guest Johnz96

The prospect game is one of the biggest traps fans fall into. Every teams site has the same thing going on. these 5, 10, 15 whatever players are going to be great in a few years. maybe 1 out of 10 every turns into anything. There are towns in the northern part of the US and in canada, where just about every man played junior hockey, yet none make it to the NHL. You have to remember, Juniors is for 17, 18, and 19 year old KIDS! High school age players. Even moving up to the AHL is a major step.

If we return to the days on building only through the draft, we will become the Dead Wings once again. Then after 3-6 years of drafting the top talent we can move back up. I don't ever want to see that type of hockey from the Wings again! I still have nightmares from the late 70's and early 80's....... 20 win seasons........ YUCK!

You mean like when Filppula , Kronwall, Hudler, Howard, Quincey... were all prospects

I'd take another Franzen a thousand times over. You can throw away that pretty piece of metal from '08 if he's not there. :D

Ya, because he won the Conn Smythe and everything...You can throw it away if Zetterberg or Datsyuk or even Osgood weren't there...along with throwing away all of Franzen's goals.

When you say "elite", I think of star players, as in Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Based on that, the safe answer is none.

Statistically speaking that's always the safe answer. A player of Datsyuk's calibre is extremely rare no matter where you draft on the board (put it this way-- if a player of Datsyuk's calibre entered the league just once a year, more than half the teams in the league would have one.

As for that no. 1 centre, I'd look at:

- Move up in the draft and nab Faksa/Girgensons/Gaunce/Herti/Osnovin/Karlsson anything better I doubt we could get.

Forsberg would be perfect (6'2 right shot) but we could never move up that far imo. What would it take?

I say snag the the first overall pick next season and get MacKinnon... LOL

#1 center would most likely be acquired via trade or free agency. I don't know who yet, but Alex Forsberg could be acquired next year at the draft if we trade up. Morgan Klimchuk could be an option farther down next year...

I say snag the the first overall pick next season and get MacKinnon... LOL

#1 center would most likely be acquired via trade or free agency. I don't know who yet, but Alex Forsberg could be acquired next year at the draft if we trade up. Morgan Klimchuk could be an option farther down next year...

I only ask because some predictions have fillip forsberg falling lower than faksa and others have him going as high as second overall. If he goes in the 9-15 range I think we could trade up potentially if kenny has the stones.

Statistically speaking that's always the safe answer. A player of Datsyuk's calibre is extremely rare no matter where you draft on the board (put it this way-- if a player of Datsyuk's calibre entered the league just once a year, more than half the teams in the league would have one.

Then I guess people define that word "elite" differently than I do.

That's what the OP wrote in his initial post, yet only seven posters have chosen "none". Weird.

Then I guess people define that word "elite" differently than I do.

That's what the OP wrote in his initial post, yet only seven posters have chosen "none". Weird.

Probably because if the thread contained 75 "none" answers it would be boring and there would be nothing to talk about...which is sort of the whole point of a discussion forum. But yes, you're technically right, none of our prospects are likely to be the next Steven Stamkos. Ho hum.

I'll be the 1st to admit that I'm not the most informed when it comes to Red Wing prospects, but from what I've seen/read - there's not alot of high-end talent coming up...I really do hope I'm wrong.

Agreed.

And to think the Oilers with all their top picks may become a top-end team for several years while our beloved Red Wings slowly slide down the ranks...Retro 80's anyone?

well you can keep that little tid bit to yo-self, pal. we dont speak like that up here. hehehehe.

we're like France ....it never happened.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, great to join an awesome RW community. Will be enjoying the offseason with you all! Now that that is said...

Ya, because he won the Conn Smythe and everything...You can throw it away if Zetterberg or Datsyuk or even Osgood weren't there...along with throwing away all of Franzen's goals.

Lol not true at all... and he had more than one good postseason. Look at his totals ya goofs. Don't include 07 or 12 because 07 was his first season ever and 12 was brutal for everyone, not just him.

That adds up to 62 points in 59 games. The last two playoffs haven't been great for any of our boys in all fairness. I think its easy to target a player or two for our woes, but I do NOT think Franzen is useless by any means. For the money we pay him, I'd take a thousand of him.

Edited by ozone923

Wait wait wait...so if we play the draft game we'll become the dead wings again, but then if we just continue to play the draft game once were dead, we'll move back up? hmmmmm....

You do realize plenty of superstars are not 1st overall picks, or even top 10 picks.....many top 10 picks never pan out to be superstars. YOU DONT NEED HIGH PICKS TO DRAFT WELL. You just need superior scouting, which we have! If teams could go back and redraft knowing what everyone knows now (and we already knew back then) then half the guys on our team would have gone in the top 20 of their draft classes. Yeah other teams play the prospect/draft game like we do, but not to the extent or with the success rate that we have. You use what you got....and we got better scouting and better development than pretty much every other franchise out there.

and u do realize that the only prospects on the OP's list that are under 20 are Jurco (19) and Ouellet (18)

For a guy that thinks it's "too early to tell" with our prospects, you seem pretty convinced that were gonna go down the gutter if we rely on them. Of course I know some of them will never reach anywhere close to where they are projected, but I also know some will go beyond where they are projected...The Kronwalls, Filppulas, Franzens, Hudlers, Ericssons, Helms, Abdelkaders, Quinceys, Kopeckys, and Howards will continue to slip through the cracks....and we will continue to add the pieces we don't have readily available through trades and FA's.....One thing Holland won't do is waste our already valuable prospects to trade up in the draft so that we can acquire the next possible Daigle of the world.

Edited by number9

I really like Nyquist. I think he's going to be pretty impressive.

When I think "make it big" I'm not necessarily saying Datsyuk level good but just better than most.

How possible is it for teams to make shrewd and risky trades for young talent? Like say, trading for Shea Weber at a time before he became the Shea Weber he is today. Is that a plausible route that Kenny can pursue as far as "big talents" go?

Yeah all our young players are unproven. We cant rely on them. We need some other teams young players (cause other teams always have better young players than us)....We should trade all our established players (who we can rely on) for some other teams young unproven players. Once this happens our team will be young again, and then we'll win the cup. Cause age wins cups.

How possible is it for teams to make shrewd and risky trades for young talent? Like say, trading for Shea Weber at a time before he became the Shea Weber he is today. Is that a plausible route that Kenny can pursue as far as "big talents" go?

With the success of drafting and developing prospects that the Wings have,I think the other GM's are more than careful about trading with Ken and co.

It is foolish to predict as of now. Smith, gustav , and Tatar are the only ones you can realistically say are close enough to talk about. Even then I feel the jury is still out... at least when talking about elite. I don't think there is any reason to think anyone will be elite. I feel Gustav could put 80 pts up for a few years. I feel the same about Tatar. Smith is a top four

Yeah all our young players are unproven. We cant rely on them. We need some other teams young players (cause other teams always have better young players than us)....We should trade all our established players (who we can rely on) for some other teams young unproven players. Once this happens our team will be young again, and then we'll win the cup. Cause age wins cups.

Uh, I don't think that's what he's saying.

Uh, I don't think that's what he's saying.

I was agreeing with him, not mocking him. Was trying to mock those who hate our prospects because theyre young and unproven, yet they think we should trade for the prospects of other teams....sorry to confuse.

hot off the wings twitter, not sure if it really applies here..

The Red Wings have signed Teemu Pulkkinen to a three-year entry level contract. He was a 4th round pick (111th overall) in the 2010 Draft.

Couldn't post this in prospects, and I'm new, so if this is out of context let me know. Regardless, thought this poll would be a lot of fun. "Big" means elite.

I personally believe Nyquist, Jurco, Jarnkrok and Smith.

Anyone seen any of these guys play as a side question?

Hossa and smith for sure. Jankrok is really small and he needs to pack on about 30 pounds. Specially at the NHL level. Nyquist will do great assimg he plays on a number one or two line. Same with jurco.