• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

Dekeyser isn't Red Wings property. He's still in school at Western Michigan and he's still a free agent.

Edit: I just looked back over the articles about him and all it says is that Detroit has the inside track on Dekeyser. I thought I read somewhere that he was pretty committed to signing with them and they encouraged him to return to WMU but I can't find that anywhere so I guess I'll have to crawfish a little bit on that one.

Still not sold on guaranteeing any rookie a position on the team based on talent alone, very very risky. Especially when our defense is thin as it is right now, and extra especially considering adding Smith and Schultz as the fifth and sixth defensemen, plus Kronwall, White, Ericsson, and whoever else, would pretty much guarantee us the smallest defense corps in the league. No thanks.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

Edit: I just looked back over the articles about him and all it says is that Detroit has the inside track on Dekeyser. I thought I read somewhere that he was pretty committed to signing with them and they encouraged him to return to WMU but I can't find that anywhere so I guess I'll have to crawfish a little bit on that one.

Still not sold on guaranteeing any rookie a position on the team based on talent alone, very very risky. Especially when our defense is thin as it is right now, and extra especially considering adding Smith and Schultz as the fifth and sixth defensemen, plus Kronwall, White, Ericsson, and whoever else, would pretty much guarantee us the smallest defense corps in the league. No thanks.

Gotta take chances to make advances

Quincey's got size

Gotta take chances to make advances

Quincey's got size

Not really sure that the year to "take chances to make advances" is the one where you're losing two of your top four defensemen with nobody really ready to step into those shoes. We're already taking a chance by resting next year's defense on free agents.

oh alright lol.

I'm not going to say that he's not a player I'm interested in, but I agree that the guy isn't the be all and end all of defensemen. Additionally, depending on how high his future salary gets bid up, I think there are some better options moving forward. So, I'd certainly never suggest you were on crack for passing on Suter if it doesn't make sense for the team.

I'm not going to say that he's not a player I'm interested in, but I agree that the guy isn't the be all and end all of defensemen. Additionally, depending on how high his future salary gets bid up, I think there are some better options moving forward. So, I'd certainly never suggest you were on crack for passing on Suter if it doesn't make sense for the team.

It's cool brah it's cool. I mean I don't mind Suter and all but I just don't see him fitting on our team. He reminds me of a grade B Rafalski. We shall see. And on regards to Justin Schultz I like the idea if we got him of pairing him with Smith. The youth of our organization is getting the call now and I'm looking forward to it.

It's cool brah it's cool. I mean I don't mind Suter and all but I just don't see him fitting on our team. He reminds me of a grade B Rafalski. We shall see. And on regards to Justin Schultz I like the idea if we got him of pairing him with Smith. The youth of our organization is getting the call now and I'm looking forward to it.

I think Suter is a perfect fit for Kronwall. And Schultz/Smith is intriguing, especially seeing as Schultz is a right handed shot.

Suter - Kronwall

Smith - Schultz

Ericsson - White

Quincey can walk and Kindl can serve as 7th or trade bait. Sign DeKeyser and season him in GR for a year and then replace White with DeKeyser after next year and Ryan Sproul should be ready to replace Ericsson the year after when his stupid contract expires.

I don't think Suter is a grade B Rafalski at all. They both have similar offensive upside, but Suter is far superior defensively to that of Raf. Suter's no Lidstrom, but he'll be able to partially control the bleeding of Nick's departure.

Kronwall

White

Ericsson

Smith

Kindl

These are the defenseman already signed for next year. Quincey, and an acquisition (ala Suter) would give us 7 dman for the year. If this kid is willing to outperform one of Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, or Quincey to earn his roster spot, than I'm fine with signing him. 8 NHL ready Dman is good depth and right where Babs and Holland like to sit going into the playoffs. If he's looking to get guaranteed minutes regardless of how he performs, then Toronto or some other team can take him.

Suter (or some other top 4, preferably top 2 Dman)

I think Suter is a perfect fit for Kronwall. And Schultz/Smith is intriguing, especially seeing as Schultz is a right handed shot.

Suter - Kronwall

Smith - Schultz

Ericsson - White

Quincey can walk and Kindl can serve as 7th or trade bait. Sign DeKeyser and season him in GR for a year and then replace White with DeKeyser after next year and Ryan Sproul should be ready to replace Ericsson the year after when his stupid contract expires.

This exactly! If Holland is going to go with a Schultz over another seasoned D-Man (Wideman) then absolutely team him up with Smith (former teammates) but I think they would be #5/#6 instead of #3/#4. No bother though. Definitely Quincey needs to walk and Holland can get the compensation for him, that just makes the best sense in the whole Quincey situation. Sure would have been nice to have the #19 pick this year, but if Quincey signs somewhere else, we could have a top 10 next year! Perhaps a lottery!

Yes there is a step, but top young talent is just that. You can never have enough. as for the roster spot thing, we are giving Smith a spot that he has yet to earn. Granted everyone expects him to play well. But he has what, 8 games at the NHL level and hasn't beaten anyone out.

Yes there is a step, but top young talent is just that. You can never have enough. as for the roster spot thing, we are giving Smith a spot that he has yet to earn. Granted everyone expects him to play well. But he has what, 8 games at the NHL level and hasn't beaten anyone out.

Are you kidding?

7 points in 14 games with a 3rd pairing partner and 15 mins average a game, and was +3 in his stint....he beat out EVERYONE except for maybe Lids and Kronner, and Lids just retired so as far as i'm concerned, we have a top pairing of Smith-Kronwall unless Suter signs. If he gets 25 mins a night and PP time, you can expect him to put up even more than .5 points per game. Gotta do at least a little research before making excessively lame remarks like the mess above.

somebody made the proposal on HFBOARDS....

rights for schultz to Detroit

rights for stuart to Anaheim

thoughts on this?

i thought it made a lot of sense for the wings though im not sure Anaheim can afford stuart. nonetheless, seems to make sense for both teams to potentially get something for players that they are seemingly losing.

thoughts on this?

i thought it made a lot of sense for the wings though im not sure Anaheim can afford stuart. nonetheless, seems to make sense for both teams to potentially get something for players that they are seemingly losing.

This would be incredible.

Edited by amato

7 points in 14 games with a 3rd pairing partner and 15 mins average a game, and was +3 in his stint....he beat out EVERYONE except for maybe Lids and Kronner, and Lids just retired so as far as i'm concerned, we have a top pairing of Smith-Kronwall unless Suter signs. If he gets 25 mins a night and PP time, you can expect him to put up even more than .5 points per game. Gotta do at least a little research before making excessively lame remarks like the mess above.

if he was so good, then why didn't he stay the full year? Again, he didn't beat anyone out. in fact we went out and picked up Quincey while Smith was healthy in GR. That is the point. Yes he has talent. But last season he wasn't able to take a job from Stuart, Kindl, E, White, Quincey, etc...... He did manage to beat out Commadore......

Edited by Richdg

The real question with Schultz is, who does he help us get/prevent us from getting. If we say have 8 million to improve our D, do we spend all of it on Suter or trade for Green and sign schultz. Just as an example. or sign garrison/carle/widemen and sign schultz. Signing a guy like Schultz by itself doesn't really help today. 2013 maybe. 2014 definatly. But that is were long term planning comes in. right now we only have 1 Rh D-white. This does hamper us in the breakout. far more than most would like to admit. We are also loaded with LH D: Kronwall, E, Quincey, Smith, and Kindl. Singing a schultz and then picking up a Green or Widemen gives us prefect balance on the blueline.

Kronwall and Widemen

E and White

Smith and Schultz

Kindl as the 7th

This then allows us to either let Quincey walk this year for picks, or to be traded for other needs.

Guest Hatethedrake!

The real question with Schultz is, who does he help us get/prevent us from getting. If we say have 8 million to improve our D, do we spend all of it on Suter or trade for Green and sign schultz. Just as an example. or sign garrison/carle/widemen and sign schultz. Signing a guy like Schultz by itself doesn't really help today. 2013 maybe. 2014 definatly. But that is were long term planning comes in. right now we only have 1 Rh D-white. This does hamper us in the breakout. far more than most would like to admit. We are also loaded with LH D: Kronwall, E, Quincey, Smith, and Kindl. Singing a schultz and then picking up a Green or Widemen gives us prefect balance on the blueline.

Kronwall and Widemen

E and White

Smith and Schultz

Kindl as the 7th

This then allows us to either let Quincey walk this year for picks, or to be traded for other needs.

I would try to sign Suter and Schultz. Trade Quincey.

Kronwall-Suter

Ericsson-White

Smith-Shultz

anyone but Kindl

I would try to sign Suter and Schultz. Trade Quincey.

Kronwall-Suter

Ericsson-White

Smith-Shultz

anyone but Kindl

That will take around 11 million to do. Add in the signing of Abby and Helm, you are running out of money fast. Also Suter is another LH D.

Guest Hatethedrake!

That will take around 11 million to do. Add in the signing of Abby and Helm, you are running out of money fast. Also Suter is another LH D.

The Wings have about 26 mil in Cap space in a 70 mil Cap. How are they running out of space? Parise(7.5)+Suter(7.5)+Abs(1.3)+Helm(1.8)+Schultz(2.5)=20.6 mil

if he was so good, then why didn't he stay the full year? Again, he didn't beat anyone out. in fact we went out and picked up Quincey while Smith was healthy in GR. That is the point. Yes he has talent. But last season he wasn't able to take a job from Stuart, Kindl, E, White, Quincey, etc...... He did manage to beat out Commadore......

It probably has something to do with the organ-I-zation thinking it was better for his development to stay in GR, get playing minutes, & play in all situations instead of taking the short-term view of putting him on the bottom pairing because that's clearly where he would have been. To quote one Mike Babcock:

We felt the minutes in the minors were important. We felt he’d be on the team by the end. We think he’s an NHL player. He could’ve probably played all year, probably could’ve played last year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1083865-detroit-red-wings-big-name-prospect-returns-to-the-red-wings

It probably has something to do with the organ-I-zation thinking it was better for his development to stay in GR, get playing minutes, & play in all situations instead of taking the short-term view of putting him on the bottom pairing because that's clearly where he would have been. To quote one Mike Babcock:

http://bleacherrepor...o-the-red-wings

I understand the minutes playing in the minors are better than sitting the bench in the NHL. But if he so good, then why would he be sitting? The fact still remains, he was not one of our best 6 Dman last year. if he was, he would have played. Its not like we had 6 future HOFers out there on D.

thoughts on this?

I like that idea

I like the idea of taking a gamble on Schultz as a full-time Wing next season, but it goes against every ideal the Wings have instilled for years upon years.

You don't just hand a guy the opportunity, he has to earn it. That is more than likely what they'd offer Schultz, a 2 contract... with every opportunity to make the big squad if he brings it at training camp.

i dig the trade rights idea....big time.

Anaheim doesn't have a leg to stand on with schultz....and don't have the market cornered with landing Stuart either.

makes sense for all parties.

2 way contract...#7/8 d-man with kindl

how can the kid balk at one year away from the D organ-i-zation.

his first year of NHL adjustment could burn him if he goes full time with someone else.

the only way this wont work is if Stuart says no to Anaheim move.

hmmmm.