• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

I understand the minutes playing in the minors are better than sitting the bench in the NHL. But if he so good, then why would he be sitting? The fact still remains, he was not one of our best 6 Dman last year. if he was, he would have played. Its not like we had 6 future HOFers out there on D.

And given Babcock's stance in that interview & others I've seen, he made it pretty clear that he was better, maybe slightly but better, than the 6th & 7th the Wings put on the ice. Ultimately it was better for his development to have him be "the man" in GR than get 11-15 minutes a game here or there in Detroit & potentially have his progress halted. So short-term, yeah Smith could have easily had one of those spots last year, and as Babs said probably the year before, but they're taking a longer-term stance from a development standpoint thinking he's going to be a solid top 4 contributor. Don't forget too that Kindl was out of waiver options & Smith's not so keeping Kindl up & sending Smith down also made sense from an organizational flexibility standpoint. There are reasons Smith wasn't up full time last year & him not being able to beat out Kindl or Commodore wasn't one of them.

I have said it before...Suter and Schultz on D...let Quincey go for picks or use him in a draft day swap of rights trading and Kindl (if not traded as well) will still be #7. Schultz and Smith on the third pairing will be awesome...much like when Suter and Weber came in together and have been a tandem pretty much ever since and are arguably the best combo in the NHL right now... These two youngsters together (again) will light up the ice and they could be cornerstones on this team for years to come...

Guest Johnz96

And given Babcock's stance in that interview & others I've seen, he made it pretty clear that he was better, maybe slightly but better, than the 6th & 7th the Wings put on the ice. Ultimately it was better for his development to have him be "the man" in GR than get 11-15 minutes a game here or there in Detroit & potentially have his progress halted. So short-term, yeah Smith could have easily had one of those spots last year, and as Babs said probably the year before, but they're taking a longer-term stance from a development standpoint thinking he's going to be a solid top 4 contributor. Don't forget too that Kindl was out of waiver options & Smith's not so keeping Kindl up & sending Smith down also made sense from an organizational flexibility standpoint. There are reasons Smith wasn't up full time last year & him not being able to beat out Kindl or Commodore wasn't one of them.

I think the main reason was to give him tons of ice-time in all sitiations

I like the idea of taking a gamble on Schultz as a full-time Wing next season, but it goes against every ideal the Wings have instilled for years upon years.

You don't just hand a guy the opportunity, he has to earn it. That is more than likely what they'd offer Schultz, a 2 contract... with every opportunity to make the big squad if he brings it at training camp.

Smith and Nyquist are born in '89 and schultz in '90. This kid has been out of the nhl and earning it long enough since his draft year. Just because he developed outside of GR and the wings org. doesn't mean he hasn't earned it.

Smith and Nyquist are born in '89 and schultz in '90. This kid has been out of the nhl and earning it long enough since his draft year. Just because he developed outside of GR and the wings org. doesn't mean he hasn't earned it.

lol. The kid has played 111 NCAA hockey games and somehow people think he's earned the right to walk into a spot on one of the premier hockey teams in the National Hockey League? Good try, but this isn't "Mystery Alaska", it takes EXTREMELY rare talent to do that. If he's not elite in the same way that Crosby, Stamkos, Toew was, then he doesn't walk into a spot on the Detroit Red Wings without ever even playing in one of the professional leagues around the world.

lol. The kid has played 111 NCAA hockey games and somehow people think he's earned the right to walk into a spot on one of the premier hockey teams in the National Hockey League? Good try, but this isn't "Mystery Alaska", it takes EXTREMELY rare talent to do that. If he's not elite in the same way that Crosby, Stamkos, Toew was, then he doesn't walk into a spot on the Detroit Red Wings without ever even playing in one of the professional leagues around the world.

Well with 111 NCAA games, he is still better than Kindl in every which way, so if Kindl can hold down a #7, I am sure Schultz could easily take the #6 spot...Besides, if Stuart and Quincey both leave and Suter replaces Lidstrom (hopefully) there are two spots open that neither of which Kindl can fill, Smith will have one of them and that leaves a UFA for the #6. Why not gamble on Schultz? low risk, high reward... It's not like he is walking on and taking a spot from someone, Kindl is no better than a #7 he has had plenty of opportunity to climb the ladder, he hasn't done it...if Schultz doesn't work out, you have Kindl to fall back on until the deadline...low risk, high reward...

Well with 111 NCAA games, he is still better than Kindl in every which way, so if Kindl can hold down a #7, I am sure Schultz could easily take the #6 spot...Besides, if Stuart and Quincey both leave and Suter replaces Lidstrom (hopefully) there are two spots open that neither of which Kindl can fill, Smith will have one of them and that leaves a UFA for the #6. Why not gamble on Schultz? low risk, high reward... It's not like he is walking on and taking a spot from someone, Kindl is no better than a #7 he has had plenty of opportunity to climb the ladder, he hasn't done it...if Schultz doesn't work out, you have Kindl to fall back on until the deadline...low risk, high reward...

Kindl just finished playing his first season against NHL caliber players. Was he great? No. Did he play professional hockey? Yes. Schultz has never played professional hockey at ANY level.

So at this point you just hope Schultz is better, he hasn't proven a ******* thing. You have to remember that Kindl was a first rounder too, so it's not like there's not a huge possibility that guys with tons of potential can have a hard time adjusting to the NHL game.

This kid played 111 games in the second easiest hockey league in North America after the CHL.

Tell me how he's proven that he's better than Kindl? Because he played well against a bunch of 19-20 year olds? Great. And don't even get me started on those saying that he's a better option than Quincey, which is absurd.

I honestly cannot believe I have to argue that dominating college hockey does not, in any way, mean that you're better than a professional NHL player. The only way to prove that is to go to camp and earn a spot, or as I side, be some kind of once in a lifetime talent. Justin Schultz is not, and has not done, either.

Note: Jacub Kindl played 55 games in the hardest hockey league on the planet and scored a goal, had 12 assists, and was a plus 7. Those aren't bad numbers for a rookie seventh defenseman. So how in the world can you say this kid is "better than Kindl in every way"? Honestly, please explain to me how this kid has PROVEN he's better?

Edited by kipwinger

Grammar_Police_by_Rysis.jpg

Easy fellas.. he's watching. LOL :lol:

It's not so much that I want to be the grammar police, but I can't help but point out the irony of you bumble ******* your way through a supposed insult about my education. However, if you want to get back to the subject at hand and show me how a college kid with 111 NCAA games under his belt has somehow PROVEN that he's better than Kindl who has about the same number of games played in the National Hockey League, I'd be glad to humor you.

It's not so much that I want to be the grammar police, but I can't help but point out the irony of you bumble ******* your way through a supposed insult about my education. However, if you want to get back to the subject at hand and show me how a college kid with 111 NCAA games under his belt has somehow PROVEN that he's better than Kindl who has about the same number of games played in the National Hockey League, I'd be glad to humor you.

You bring up saying he played in the 2nd easiest league when I don't know maybe the kid wanted to get an education...

I can't wait until someone takes a chance on the kid and he turns out to be a stud and kipwinger complains that we never grabbed him. a year ago i was begging people to consider a huddler ericsson and a 1st trade for bogosian and everyone acted like the kid was not worth it. now look at him. He's a number one on winnipeg. we need to take chances on younger players. it can pay off sometimes and otherwise schultz is a tradable asset that we acquired for nothing (or stuarts ufa rights).

I can't wait until someone takes a chance on the kid and he turns out to be a stud and kipwinger complains that we never grabbed him. a year ago i was begging people to consider a huddler ericsson and a 1st trade for bogosian and everyone acted like the kid was not worth it. now look at him. He's a number one on winnipeg. we need to take chances on younger players. it can pay off sometimes and otherwise schultz is a tradable asset that we acquired for nothing (or stuarts ufa rights).

Exactly! And Wisconsin wasn't very good this year and yet still Schultz was the story of the team. He was always the number 1 player teams would watch out for.

I never said not to try and land the kid. I just said that's it's stupid to guarantee him anything before you've seen him play against professional hockey players. Read through all my posts and you'll see over and over, "sign him and give him a shot to make the team in camp".

Seriously, I double dare you to quote one single time I said, "don't sign Schultz".

Additionally, I'd submit that one of the reasons that the Wings have been so good for so many years is precisely because they don't "take chances" and promote unproven NCAA players over NHL ready players. Not really sure why any of you think that it's a good time to start doing that.

Edited by kipwinger

How much does a top 5-10 pick in the draft get? That is what Schultz is, but with the added bonus for him of being a UFA. he was a 1st round pick IIRC 3 years ago. he is a lot better than that now. If we can sign him, we do so. No need to discuss this any further. There is zero downside to doing so. The rest is just side show stuff. We have no idea what his demands are money wise, rosters spots etc..... It is all rumor. he is a oung, tall RH Dman. Has plenty fo room to get into the 210-220 pound range. Let's just sign him and be happy, then move onto the next guy.

I find it hilarious how every one is getting boners over Schultz when the bulk of people on this forum have probably never seen him play.

Every few months a new flavour of the week player gets into the media and every one on this forum goes crazy wishing the Wings would sign that player. Last summer so many people were going nuts over Christian Ehroff and/or James Wisniewski and now everyone is happy the Wings didn't touch them. I'm not saying Schultz will/would end up being a disappointment but so many people talk out of their asses about players they literally know nothing about.

I find it hilarious how every one is getting boners over Schultz when the bulk of people on this forum have probably never seen him play.

Every few months a new flavour of the week player gets into the media and every one on this forum goes crazy wishing the Wings would sign that player. Last summer so many people were going nuts over Christian Ehroff and/or James Wisniewski and now everyone is happy the Wings didn't touch them. I'm not saying Schultz will/would end up being a disappointment but so many people talk out of their asses about players they literally know nothing about.

Ha, this is absolutely true!

I never said not to try and land the kid. I just said that's it's stupid to guarantee him anything before you've seen him play against professional hockey players. Read through all my posts and you'll see over and over, "sign him and give him a shot to make the team in camp".

Seriously, I double dare you to quote one single time I said, "don't sign Schultz".

Additionally, I'd submit that one of the reasons that the Wings have been so good for so many years is precisely because they don't "take chances" and promote unproven NCAA players over NHL ready players. Not really sure why any of you think that it's a good time to start doing that.

I agree 100%.

If the Wings can get him, they should sign him. He isn't a Ryan Suter though. I also would say that Kindl has proven himself in the NHL more than Schultz. If anything, if the Wings sign him, he will play in the AHL for a season.

Just for reference sake...

Brendan Smith netted 12, 23, and 52 points in 95 games in his 3 years at Wisconsin.

Justin Schultz netted 22, 47, and 44 points in 121 games in his 3 years at Wisconsin.

What do these point totals tell us? He was good in college. Maybe a little better than Brendan Smith was. NHL caliber though? That remains to be seen. Put him in the AHL and see how he does.

Schultz should be viewed as step 1 in the signing of young Dmen to continue to rebuild our BL long term. Sign schultz with the intent on having him replacing White for teh 2013 season. Sign Nicastro with the intent of having him replace Kindl for the 2014 season. next spring sign dekeyster with the intent of having him replace big E in a couple of years. all 3 will be 6-2+/200+ buy that time. That as a group has some real potential. Now add in Smith and whatever UFA's we pick up over the next couple of years, and this is a long term solution to the BL. yes not all of these guys will work out as we hope, but that is always the risk with prospects.

Schultz should be viewed as step 1 in the signing of young Dmen to continue to rebuild our BL long term. Sign schultz with the intent on having him replacing White for teh 2013 season. Sign Nicastro with the intent of having him replace Kindl for the 2014 season. next spring sign dekeyster with the intent of having him replace big E in a couple of years. all 3 will be 6-2+/200+ buy that time. That as a group has some real potential. Now add in Smith and whatever UFA's we pick up over the next couple of years, and this is a long term solution to the BL. yes not all of these guys will work out as we hope, but that is always the risk with prospects.

I was with you on replacing White next year...then just when I thought you were making sense you took a big dump on that theory

I was with you on replacing White next year...then just when I thought you were making sense you took a big dump on that theory

Why would you say that? schultz replaces white, per Nill Nicastro is going to sign here soon and play in GR. 2014 gives him 2 years to develop, or not. Kindl also has some time to still develop, he is only 25 after all. but if he doesn't, then Nicastro could be ready to step in. Dekeyser (spelling) signs next spring and has 2 years to develop in GR, getting ready for when big E's contract expires. At best they become replacements and upgrades over White, Kindl, and E. At worst they become trade pieces. There is no real downside here....

Guest Johnz96

He wasn't insultin your education he was saying maybe Schultz wanted to get an education.

Any GM in the league would gladly give up Kindl for Schultz, he is the 3rd most sought after possible free agent right behind Parise and Suter and ahead of a whole bunch of other guys who have already played in the NHL