• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

Nice that Detroit is on the favorites list, but the author forgot to mention Smith as a former teammate....

Man if we strike out on all these guys, I will die....since holland can,match any offer, if they dont sign here means the allure of the Red Wings has been doused.....it will be a dark day in my household....

Edited by LeftWinger

Your post starting with this has nothing to do with Justin Schultz. Comparing Big E to Smith seriously? It's funny all the people who rag on Smith and say you have said forgot what he did with us with limited minutes. But this isn't a Smith or Big E thread now is it?

The Mods here should warn you...

Since when is getting off topic uncommon around here? lol

Edited by Jaymister

Since when is getting off topic uncommon around here? lol

Yeah just realized this. Reading the Zach Parise thread is something. I thought by the end of it...it was the "Ryan Suter and Zach Parise have signed with the Penguins" thread :P

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

coughGirardicough

While the Rangers are trading away their best players, they can trade Staal to the Canes to complete the trio and their first regular season shift together, they can go Hanson brothers on their opponent after they foil their knuckles.

On a serious note to obligatory Girardi mention, he would cost way too much from the Wings and Smith isn't going anywhere.

The price for Girardi would be steep, but, considering our blue line situation, and considering Girardi's package, anything short of ungodly ridiculous is worth it. (Assuming, of course, we'll be signing 2-3 key UFAs.)

We're not getting him. But I'll keep fighting the good fight (at least, until July 2nd).

The price for Girardi would be steep, but, considering our blue line situation, and considering Girardi's package, anything short of ungodly ridiculous is worth it. (Assuming, of course, we'll be signing 2-3 key UFAs.)

We're not getting him. But I'll keep fighting the good fight (at least, until July 2nd).

:shocking: lol...couldn't help myself

The only thing I wouldn't mind about Schultz NOT signing here is if Holland was going to pursue Weber next season. That being said, it is well known that Holland is in hot pursuit of Schultz, at least its been reported, but I think that the likes of Dekeyser being available and us already owning McKee, the D is in pretty good shape without him. Suter is a must. Schultz would be a nice piece to add. OF course if Holland wants to land DeKeyser after his senior year, he will need to keep a spot open next year. Another reason Quincey is extra luggage and needs to be let go.

Kronner/Suter

White/Ericsson

Smith/Schultz

(whoever)

next year

Kronner/Suter

Smith/Schultz

Ericsson/Dekeyser

(whoever)

three years

Kronner/Suter

Smith/Schultz

Ericsson/Dekeyser

McKee

...Weber would be great, but I do like our D in few years with Schultz/Smith/Dekeyser/McKee. Weber will be expensive and we will already have Suter making a ton...

The only thing keeping him from here right now is the uncertainty of playing in Detroit and NOT as a #7. That all hinges on Quincey and whether or not he stays...my POV has been beaten to death when it comes to Quincey. I can only hope Holland signs Suter and Schultz thus pushing Quincey to the door. Contrary to a certain user here, Quincey is NOT above White or Ericsson on the pecking list and Smith will not be #7, so if Suter and Schultz come, Quincey is out....not unless Big E or White gets traded...

Guest Hatethedrake!

From what I've read, it's between the Oilers, Canucks and Leafs for Schultz. There may be more but those are the 3 I keep hearing. The Oilers can offer the top 4 spot he wants as their blueline is pathetic.

The only thing keeping him from here right now is the uncertainty of playing in Detroit and NOT as a #7. That all hinges on Quincey and whether or not he stays...my POV has been beaten to death when it comes to Quincey. I can only hope Holland signs Suter and Schultz thus pushing Quincey to the door. Contrary to a certain user here, Quincey is NOT above White or Ericsson on the pecking list and Smith will not be #7, so if Suter and Schultz come, Quincey is out....not unless Big E or White gets traded...

I think you're splitting hairs here. I don't think either White or Quincey is noticably better than the other. However, White's contract is better and therefore he's more valuable. Either way, I have no idea why the Wings wouldn't resign Quincey, make a play for whatever free agent dmen they want, invite them all to camp, and then use the odd man out as the centerpiece for a future trade. I know you think the first and third are more valuable than Quincey right now, but I remember the not too distant past when Pittsburgh traded a guy about as good as Quincey for James Neal. It never hurts to have quality dmen under contract.

I think you're splitting hairs here. I don't think either White or Quincey is noticably better than the other. However, White's contract is better and therefore he's more valuable. Either way, I have no idea why the Wings wouldn't resign Quincey, make a play for whatever free agent dmen they want, invite them all to camp, and then use the odd man out as the centerpiece for a future trade. I know you think the first and third are more valuable than Quincey right now, but I remember the not too distant past when Pittsburgh traded a guy about as good as Quincey for James Neal. It never hurts to have quality dmen under contract.

I agree, but the only problem with having too many D men and HAVING to trade one, you won't get value for them and you may just have to waive them. It's a toss up....

But I guess if Schultz only has eyes for losing on a Canadian team then it doesn't matter....Sign Suter and Quincey and go from there...

Speaking of Edmonton, I would like to squeeze Petry out of that organization...he is an RFA who made $1M last season. I know Holland doesn't do RFA's too often if at all, but Petry would be nice here to play along side Smith as well...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Johnz96

The only thing I wouldn't mind about Schultz NOT signing here is if Holland was going to pursue Weber next season. That being said, it is well known that Holland is in hot pursuit of Schultz, at least its been reported, but I think that the likes of Dekeyser being available and us already owning McKee, the D is in pretty good shape without him. Suter is a must. Schultz would be a nice piece to add. OF course if Holland wants to land DeKeyser after his senior year, he will need to keep a spot open next year. Another reason Quincey is extra luggage and needs to be let go.

Kronner/Suter

White/Ericsson

Smith/Schultz

(whoever)

next year

Kronner/Suter

Smith/Schultz

Ericsson/Dekeyser

(whoever)

three years

Kronner/Suter

Smith/Schultz

Ericsson/Dekeyser

McKee

...Weber would be great, but I do like our D in few years with Schultz/Smith/Dekeyser/McKee. Weber will be expensive and we will already have Suter making a ton...

DeKeyser is staying in college this year.

Edit. Sorry didn't realize you penciled him in for next year

Edited by Johnz96

Sure, I wouldn't mind if the Wings signed this 2nd round draft pick who didn't play for the Ducks, and has never played in the NHL, but let's not trip over ourselves pushing out established NHL talent to guarantee this kid a roster spot.

I wouldn't mind if Quincey walked and we got the picks, BTW.

I'd love to have Schultz in our system, but I really don't think we're in the right situation to be committing almost $4M in cap and a roster spot to an unproven kid. That's something for a team that's rebuilding or a team that already has a really strong top 4. I don't think a top-4 that includes both White and Ericsson is really strong, and if any of the top 4 were injured we'd be banking on two rookies and Kindl. Remember that Ericsson looked very good in his first call-up, but took quite a while (and quite a beating here) to get where he is now, just starting to establish himself. There's no guarantees with either Smith or Schultz.

Now if we were to sign Suter and someone like Wideman first, then sign Schultz to replace Kindl, I'd be all for it. White, E, Smith, and Schultz would all fight for time. Something like...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Adam Burish ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Dennis Wideman ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,871,212; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $428,788

I think if Holland signs 2 UFA defensemen, whoever they are Suter and ?????? then Quincey is out.... I understand to apprehensiveness of giving Schultz so much money being unestablished. Its a gamble...Holland is more of a veteran D too, I guess we will see soon! Too bad I have to work Sunday....

Guest Johnz96

I'd love to have Schultz in our system, but I really don't think we're in the right situation to be committing almost $4M in cap and a roster spot to an unproven kid. That's something for a team that's rebuilding or a team that already has a really strong top 4. I don't think a top-4 that includes both White and Ericsson is really strong, and if any of the top 4 were injured we'd be banking on two rookies and Kindl. Remember that Ericsson looked very good in his first call-up, but took quite a while (and quite a beating here) to get where he is now, just starting to establish himself. There's no guarantees with either Smith or Schultz.

Now if we were to sign Suter and someone like Wideman first, then sign Schultz to replace Kindl, I'd be all for it. White, E, Smith, and Schultz would all fight for time. Something like...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Adam Burish ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Dennis Wideman ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,871,212; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $428,788

If he accomplished what it takes to make all those bonuses he would be more than worth it