• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

I'd love to have Schultz in our system, but I really don't think we're in the right situation to be committing almost $4M in cap and a roster spot to an unproven kid. That's something for a team that's rebuilding or a team that already has a really strong top 4. I don't think a top-4 that includes both White and Ericsson is really strong, and if any of the top 4 were injured we'd be banking on two rookies and Kindl. Remember that Ericsson looked very good in his first call-up, but took quite a while (and quite a beating here) to get where he is now, just starting to establish himself. There's no guarantees with either Smith or Schultz.

Now if we were to sign Suter and someone like Wideman first, then sign Schultz to replace Kindl, I'd be all for it. White, E, Smith, and Schultz would all fight for time. Something like...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Adam Burish ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Dennis Wideman ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,871,212; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $428,788

You are choosing Emmerton and Mursak over Miller and Eaves? Miller outplayed Emmerton and Mursak both together.... Also I think Smith will be higher than #7. But I do like Wideman instead of Quincey...

BTW, does anyone know anything further on Eaves? Will he be able to play this fall? I have not heard a single word on his health...

Quotes from Holland...

“He’s close to being an NHL defenseman,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “He’s a young player. We’re prepared to give him the opportunity to be on our team."

“We’ve expressed we’re interested in signing him to a contract,” said Holland, who plans to meet with his agents (Don Meehan and Pat Morris) either Tuesday or Wednesday. “We think he’s a good prospect. We think there’s a tremendous opportunity in Detroit.

“With the loss of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart, there’s a tremendous opportunity,” Holland added. “We’re trying to rebuild on the fly. We think he would be a good fit.”

Quotes from Holland...

Well that doesn't sound like a #7 or a GR bound defenseman there. I certainly hope he comes here. He and Smith will bring youthful energy to a defense that was kinda stagnant last season... I am telling you if Suter and Schultz sign here, we are sitting pretty for years to come! Holland MUST address the defense first and foremost, the O is secondary, albeit important too... This should be the pecking order on July 1st: Suter then Schultz then Parise or Semin or whomever else is a backup plan to Parise...trade or whatever.

Edited by LeftWinger

People here in Vancouver are going goo goo gaa gaa because twittersphere is saying that Schultz has made a decision to go to the Canucks, no surprise, after all he is from BC.

Well if it's true and he has decided on Van, then it will be out soon enough! I will be just a bit angry. especially since Holland was after him too...I am sure Holland's offer was very attractive....interesting to see if he indeed chose Vancouver...

People here in Vancouver are going goo goo gaa gaa because twittersphere is saying that Schultz has made a decision to go to the Canucks, no surprise, after all he is from BC.

that originated from a fake bob mackenzie account on twitter. there is no truth to it whatsoever

but it wouldn't surprise me if he does end up choosing vancouver

Edited by chances14

Great quotes on Holland. A side of me is a bit happy that he's more apt to take some risks and dive in and do something that hasn't fit the mold of the last two decades. A bit alarming in another respect -- but we're definitely not dealing from a position of strength that we've had in previous years, either.

in the article it said ken holland would also guarantee him a roster spot to start the season in detroit ( if i had to guess a 10-20 game trial)

That to me would mean ian white in my eyes would be the odd man out if we landed suter

we just traded a 1st for quincey so he will play , just locked up ericsson for 3 yrs hes in the top 6 , brendan smiths coming up not to be a 7th defensemen + kronwall , maybe theyd rotate white and ericsson/quincey around for the first 10-20 games but i see white as the odd man out( whos also the shortest defensemen on the team )

suter quincey

kronwall ericsson

smith schultz

If he accomplished what it takes to make all those bonuses he would be more than worth it

But we'd still be taking the cap hit regardless of how he plays. It's possible we could afford it, as my lineup showed, but that's pretty optimistic.

You are choosing Emmerton and Mursak over Miller and Eaves? Miller outplayed Emmerton and Mursak both together....

That was a money thing. Could technically afford Miller over one of them, but that makes it even tighter to the cap. Not that it's all that realistic anyway. Of the 8 guys I signed, 6-7 could be low.

In any case, my main point was that I'd love Schultz as a Kindl replacement, but not as a Quincey (or a top 4 UFA) replacement. I don't really want to rely on White/Smith/Schultz/Kindl on an already mediocre PK, or E/Smith/Schultz/Kindl/a foward on an already mediocre PP.

I wonder if Holland's quotes about Schultz are any kind of indication that he's not optimistic about signing Suter.

I wouldn't think this would be the case at all. Management doesn't need to tell us the prospect well is virtually dry of blueline talent -- any way to boost that is a huge deal. Kindl I believe has worn out his welcome and will be either traded or waived (pending something else happening on the blueline). If no one picks him up he'll just stay in GR.

Suter and Schultz are entirely different animals. Suter would be a No. 1 defenseman on this club immediately, while Schultz would (potentially) help on the No. 2 PP unit and would be a great asset with his right-handed shot.

http://www.mlive.com..._their_pur.html

:lol: I just read the above MLive report and wanted to post it in the Justin Schultz thread....I literally just looked at this thread 10 mins ago and it was named "Justin Schultz." When I came looking for the thread to mention the Mlive article, I couldn't find it! :lol: You got me on the title change!

Anyhow, I am so charged that Holland is going after this kid!!!! :w00t2: Doesn't mean he will sign here, but I can't ask for Holland to do anymore than he is, he may actually take these old "kicked tires" for a spin this July! Awesome! Get R Dun Kenny! Get R Dun!

Suter - White

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Schultz

(??????)

...Can't wait!!!

Edited by LeftWinger

:lol: I just read the above MLive report and wanted to post it in the Justin Schultz thread....I literally just looked at this thread 10 mins ago and it was named "Justin Schultz." When I came looking for the thread to mention the Mlive article, I couldn't find it! :lol: You got me on the title change!

Anyhow, I am so charged that Holland is going after this kid!!!! :w00t2: Doesn't mean he will sign here, but I can't ask for Holland to do anymore than he is, he may actually take these old "kicked tires" for a spin this July! Awesome! Get R Dun Kenny! Get R Dun!

Suter - White

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Schultz

(??????)

...Can't wait!!!

quincey isnt going anywhere ... nice message that would be , trade quincey for a 1st then hes gone

YESSSSS I hoped Holland would go with the youth!!!! WOOOOOOO lets sign him. Schultzy u need to sign with the Wings. We don't do this often with rookies, so take the invite.

quincey isnt going anywhere ... nice message that would be , trade quincey for a 1st then hes gone

I really want quincey gone. he just doesn't have it together on a night to night basis. This kid basically is a younger version with more upside. Quincey brought a good shot and offensive talents with a LH shot. This kid is younger, has higher potential and has a RH shot. Id do this and maximize assets by trading Quincey.

About Schultz, making him an offer isn't a big deal. He can only make so much as a rookie, so he'll get plenty of offers. Its nice that Holland is one of the GMs to make him one, but I have a feeling a lot of teams will and they'll all pretty much be the same.

As for Quincey, I was watching the NHL Network last week and they were talking about Red Wings UFAs and agreed that a lot of defenseman don't develop until they're about 27, which Quincey is about to become. We gave up a first round pick to get this guy, we need to give him more than a couple months to show whether or not he was worth it. Quincey should be back at about the same price.

About Schultz, making him an offer isn't a big deal. He can only make so much as a rookie, so he'll get plenty of offers. Its nice that Holland is one of the GMs to make him one, but I have a feeling a lot of teams will and they'll all pretty much be the same.

As for Quincey, I was watching the NHL Network last week and they were talking about Red Wings UFAs and agreed that a lot of defenseman don't develop until they're about 27, which Quincey is about to become. We gave up a first round pick to get this guy, we need to give him more than a couple months to show whether or not he was worth it. Quincey should be back at about the same price.

We could get a 1st and 3rd for him if we let him go via offer sheet... We can't afford to have schultz making 3+ and have to re-up fil, howard, nyquist, smith next year if we do quincey at 3.5+ (assuming we get suter and semin)

Suter - White

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Schultz

(??????)

...Can't wait!!!

I thought White was absolutely awful while Lidstrom was out of the lineup and he sure as hell would not be in my top pairing.

We could get a 1st and 3rd for him if we let him go via offer sheet... We can't afford to have schultz making 3+ and have to re-up fil, howard, nyquist, smith next year if we do quincey at 3.5+ (assuming we get suter and semin)

a 1st and a 3rd round pick for quincey via offer sheet??? who the hells gonna throw an offer sheet for quincey??? nobody out there will offer him a contract

Yah, there is a $$ limit for his entry level contract so GM's will have to promise him play time. I hope his decision to play in BC isn't final yet and that he will surprise everyone and come to Detroit.

I'd say his chances to make an impact are bigger in detroit considering the state of our defence now and in a year's time. i'd say vancouver has guys pretty well entrenched at D and Tanev deserves a spot too.

Hope he signs in Detroit. Wings need some high end young talent if planning to remain as an elite NHL team. This kid looks awesome.

Please get it done Kenny !

Edited by arag

Guest blueadams

baaaaaaaaaammm

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($8.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Justin Schultz ($3.800m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,417,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,882,955