• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

:notworthy:

I'd spend some of that remaining 1.9 M cap space on a healthy backup for Jimmy.

Only thing is i think Parise, Brunner and Suter get 500K too much and we need cap room to reup jimmy, fil, smith, nyquist next season. Imagine the kind of contract datsyuk will get in a couple years if we sign praise at 8mill.

but do you think wed trade quincey after giving up a first? i do think he struggled but im willing to give quincey a full season i think hes got what it takes to be a solid defensemen here , its too early to give up on him

Look, Holland has said to Schultz that there is a open position for him, that means top 6...if Holland signs Suter, he's #1. He Holland signs Quincey who is #7? Smith? I doubt it, so Holland is going to sign Quincey to sit him in the press box for $3.125M? Ya right! Quincey will get an offer sheet from Edmonton (after we steal Schultz from them) of $3.5M. Holland will not match and the 1st round we traded for him will be a forgotten realm, because Holland will get a 1st/3rd in return for Quincey... It only makes too much sense! Now if somethin happens and Suter and Schultz do not sign here, then sure, re-sign Quincey all day, I am ok with that, but if Suter/Schultz do sign here, Quincey is the odd man out... there is no other way to look at it,...

baaaaaaaaaammm

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($8.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Justin Schultz ($3.800m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,417,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,882,955

Yes, this was my exact roster (minus MacDonald) I put up weeks ago, before I started trading Franzen here and there. It is a nice roster and I would be excited to start the season with it! (edit: minus Brunner too of course since he hadn't committed here yet...duh!)

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Hatethedrake!

If Schultz signs with the Wings then Quincey will likely be traded. No team will give him an offer sheet. He isn't a star dman by any means. I'd say the most the Wings could hope for is a 2nd round pick and maybe another pick.

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Good lord, $8 mil for Parise. You know he only scored two more goals than Franzen and played in 5 more games. I like Parise a lot, but his drop in goals over the past few years make me pretty uneasy about handing him a $8 mil contract.

Look, Holland has said to Schultz that there is a open position for him, that means top 6...if Holland signs Suter, he's #1. He Holland signs Quincey who is #7? Smith? I doubt it, so Holland is going to sign Quincey to sit him in the press box for $3.125M? Ya right! Quincey will get an offer sheet from Edmonton (after we steal Schultz from them) of $3.5M. Holland will not match and the 1st round we traded for him will be a forgotten realm, because Holland will get a 1st/3rd in return for Quincey... It only makes too much sense! Now if somethin happens and Suter and Schultz do not sign here, then sure, re-sign Quincey all day, I am ok with that, but if Suter/Schultz do sign here, Quincey is the odd man out... there is no other way to look at it,...

I hope you were just using Edmonton as a "for instance". Edmonton's picked 1st overall in each of the last three years. No way, no how do they give up their first rounder and a third rounder to sign Quincey.

Good lord, $8 mil for Parise. You know he only scored two more goals than Franzen and played in 5 more games. I like Parise a lot, but his drop in goals over the past few years make me pretty uneasy about handing him a $8 mil contract.

I hope you were just using Edmonton as a "for instance". Edmonton's picked 1st overall in each of the last three years. No way, no how do they give up their first rounder and a third rounder to sign Quincey.

of course....but ya never know, if they are in that much need for NHL defense, they just might...of course they may just keep the offer in the 2nd round pick range so they don't give up that 1st...that would be fine too...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Heaten

I'm not sure how Holland can guarantee Schultz playing time. If he plays a few games and doesn't perform as expected, Babcock will bench him... and rightfully so.

I don't care who he thinks he is, he will need to earn his place like everyone else. If Kindl outplays him, then Schultz kid should be benched. And Kindl looked pretty damn impressive last year when he was filling in for all those injuries... I was really impressed with Kindl. I think he's too good to be the 6th/7th dman.

Kindl? Too good to be #6/#7? :hysterical: He has been given TONS of opportunity to take a spot, year after year, he has never been able to secure one, and now his #7 seems to be in jeopardy.... If Holland signs all three Quincey/Suter/Schultz....Kindl is out...I hope it's Quincey that is out, but even then, Kindl is still #7....

my only beef is that if we give him this big money cap hit, how will this affect signing smith, nyquist who get re-ups next season?

$2M of Schultz's $3.8M cap hit is pretty much impossible for him to actually earn. He'd have to win trophies like the Norris, Calder, and Conn Smythe to get that money. Essentially his contract would pay him a salary of either $875k or $925k (not sure which one he qualifies for) plus a possible $850k in bonuses that he has a decent chance of earning. So even though his cap hit will say $3.8M it's really like a $1.5M contract for Smith or Nyquist.

Guest Johnz96

Quincey is a better skating, less physical (although Quincey is still physical) Stuart, getting used to a new team and playing from his wrong side (which he was not used to. I don't understand all the hate from people here

$2M of Schultz's $3.8M cap hit is pretty much impossible for him to actually earn. He'd have to win trophies like the Norris, Calder, and Conn Smythe to get that money. Essentially his contract would pay him a salary of either $875k or $925k (not sure which one he qualifies for) plus a possible $850k in bonuses that he has a decent chance of earning. So even though his cap hit will say $3.8M it's really like a $1.5M contract for Smith or Nyquist.

Unless you're Ilitch, the cap hit is the only # that matters

Kindl? Too good to be #6/#7? :hysterical: He has been given TONS of opportunity to take a spot, year after year, he has never been able to secure one, and now his #7 seems to be in jeopardy.... If Holland signs all three Quincey/Suter/Schultz....Kindl is out...I hope it's Quincey that is out, but even then, Kindl is still #7....

Kindl doesn't even come close to being as good a d-man as Quincey

Edited by Johnz96

my only beef is that if we give him this big money cap hit, how will this affect signing smith, nyquist who get re-ups next season?

It won't hurt us....right now, per capgeek, we have $39M in cap space next season...add to that Suter $8M, Parise $8M and Schultz $4M (I just averaged up) that still leaves $19M to re-up Jimmy and Smith. Jimmy will get $5M (as long as he plays like last season before injury) and Smith will get Schultz type numbers....Nyquist will get a nice raise, but nothing too huge,maybe $2M-$2.5M...so that is $9M for Howard/Smith and Nyquist at $2.5M that still leaves $7.5M...Cleary's $2.8M and Miller's $500,000 will be coming off the books, so that is now $10.8M, Emmerton will probably be gone already too so now we are at $11.3M, Ian White will be gone, now it's $13.9M....and that is to re-sign Val and bring up another defenseman...then Holland will have to address Pav the following year...

If I were Holland, I would be looking to extend Pav SOON! #1. The CBA may change the rules on these longer contracts, so it would be best to get Pav extended NOW so the new rules won't effect the front loading process. #2. Pav turns 35 before his current contract is up...if he signs a contract while he is 35 or older, if he retires the Wings are stuck with the cap hit until the contract is up...if he signs now, or before 35, he could retire half way thru if he had to and the cap hit would retire with him...

I say extend Pav right now for, he'll only play, what, at most, 5 years after his current one? Give him a 5 year extension NOW so just in case he cannot complete the contract do to health or whatever, he can retire and the cap comes off....

Guest Johnz96

Title of this thread should be the Detroit Red Wings make offer to Justin Schultz along with every other team in the league :P

I think the Wings have some advantages to getting him, his teammate Smith is on the team and the Wings are the most successful hockey team in his lifetime as well as being considered the classiest organization in the league. That being said it is still not very likely that we will get him

Guest Heaten

"Year after year"? That's a head-scratcher considering Kindl has only played one full season in the NHL.

Now I am totally convinced you have no clue what you are talking about. Obviously you didn't watch him since you think he's played "year after year" in the NHL, but he had a month stretch during injuries where he was an absolute beast. Not bad for his first full season in the NHL.

Needless to say, the kid is barely 25 and has played well. He looks better than an older Ericsson his full rookie season, and is younger. I'm really surprised how people want to ditch Kindl, who has been solid, and automatically replace him with a 21 year old with entitlement issues who never sniffed a day in the NHL and could be the biggest flop since Brunnstrom. No way Babcock coddles Justin Schultz like other coaches will be instructed to do. Your solution? "FIRE BABCOCK!!!! CODDLE THIS KID WHO HAS ATTITUDE ISSUES AND ISN'T A TEAM PLAYER NOW KENNY!!!11"

Dude, you are hilarious!

D

Edited by Heaten

It won't hurt us....right now, per capgeek, we have $39M in cap space next season...add to that Suter $8M, Parise $8M and Schultz $4M (I just averaged up) that still leaves $19M to re-up Jimmy and Smith. Jimmy will get $5M (as long as he plays like last season before injury) and Smith will get Schultz type numbers....Nyquist will get a nice raise, but nothing too huge,maybe $2M-$2.5M...so that is $9M for Howard/Smith and Nyquist at $2.5M that still leaves $7.5M...Cleary's $2.8M and Miller's $500,000 will be coming off the books, so that is now $10.8M, Emmerton will probably be gone already too so now we are at $11.3M, Ian White will be gone, now it's $13.9M....and that is to re-sign Val and bring up another defenseman...then Holland will have to address Pav the following year...

If I were Holland, I would be looking to extend Pav SOON! #1. The CBA may change the rules on these longer contracts, so it would be best to get Pav extended NOW so the new rules won't effect the front loading process. #2. Pav turns 35 before his current contract is up...if he signs a contract while he is 35 or older, if he retires the Wings are stuck with the cap hit until the contract is up...if he signs now, or before 35, he could retire half way thru if he had to and the cap hit would retire with him...

I say extend Pav right now for, he'll only play, what, at most, 5 years after his current one? Give him a 5 year extension NOW so just in case he cannot complete the contract do to health or whatever, he can retire and the cap comes off....

i don't think pavs will want a 5 year extension though. if the rumors about him wanting to play in russia before he retires are true, the max years i could see pavs wanting is 3

Quincey is a better skating, less physical (although Quincey is still physical) Stuart, getting used to a new team and playing from his wrong side (which he was not used to. I don't understand all the hate from people here

Kindl doesn't even come close to being as good a d-man as Quincey

I understand, and I don't hate Quincey, but if Holland gets Suter/Schultz and guarantees Schultz a spot everyday, that will make Quincey/Kindl/Smith the #6/#7/#8 guys...so if you ditched Kindl that will put Quincey and Smith rotating the #6 spot and you will have on lots of nights, a $3M player sitting in the press box healthy... I don't think Holland would like that...Sort of like when they got Dom, even though Osgood was a better goalie than Manny, they still dropped Ozzie because they didn't want to pay him $3M to be a back up...its just business.

I guess I kind of misunderstood the post. I thought he was saying if the Wings give Schultz $3.8M then they'll have to give Smith and Nyquist the same, but you're absolutely correct

this

"Year after year"? That's a head-scratcher considering Kindl has only played one full season in the NHL.

Now I am totally convinced you have no clue what you are talking about. Obviously you didn't watch him since you think he's played "year after year" in the NHL, but he had a month stretch during injuries where he was an absolute beast. Not bad for his first full season in the NHL.

D

Wasnt this last season the 2nd season where Kindl had an oppertunity to be in the line-up, but couldnt make it??

I seem to remember him compeating with Salei the season before.

Needless to say, the kid is barely 25 and has played well. He looks better than an older Ericsson his full rookie season, and is younger. I'm really surprised how people want to ditch Kindl, who has been solid, and automatically replace him with a 21 year old with entitlement issues who never sniffed a day in the NHL and could be the biggest flop since Brunnstrom. No way Babcock coddles Justin Schultz like other coaches will be instructed to do. Your solution? "FIRE BABCOCK!!!! CODDLE THIS KID WHO HAS ATTITUDE ISSUES AND ISN'T A TEAM PLAYER NOW KENNY!!!11"

Dude, you are hilarious!

D

Uh....Kindl played in 55 games last season and 48 games the prior season. Last year was not his first full season in the NHL, so yes, I do know what I am talking about... PLUS he played THREE full seasons and some change in GR where he was less than stellar amassing a nice -58 in +/- and a whole 89 points...

Listen, I am not saying get rid of him, I am getting rid of Quincey and keeping Kindl, BUT Kindl will not make the top 6 if Holland gets both Suter/Schultz. If Holland really wants Schultz here, he has to promise him playing time, if Kindl is bumped because of it, then oh well that's the business. If for some reason Schultz farts, and he might, then he'll be put up in the box, not coddled. Then if Schultz complains and *******, trade him. Bottom line is Holland is going to give Schultz that #5/#6 spot and it will be his to lose...Kindl and Smith will rotate the #6/#7....But if Quincey signs then Kindl is out...

Opportunity, not money, will be the deciding factor in securing Schultz. The Red Wings are prepared to guarantee him a roster spot at the start of the season, something every team that pursues him will need to do.

Schultz's contract will be the same wherever he goes. He is restricted to a two-year, two-way entry-level deal with a base NHL salary of $925,000. His team must make a $3.8 million salary-cap commitment, however, due to potential bonuses, many of which are not realistically attainable

per mlive article... not sure if it was mentioned already but i thought it was interesting.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/06/red_wings_have_begun_their_pur.html

i don't think pavs will want a 5 year extension though. if the rumors about him wanting to play in russia before he retires are true, the max years i could see pavs wanting is 3

That is even better...I just would like to have it done before he turns 35 to avoid that issue if he cannot fulfill the contract...

Wasnt this last season the 2nd season where Kindl had an oppertunity to be in the line-up, but couldnt make it??

I seem to remember him compeating with Salei the season before.

Yes, exactly....He has had plenty of opportunity to crack this lineup...Ericsson only spent 3 seasons in GRR before making the lineup and Kindl wasaslo there for 3 FULL, PLUS played for Kitchner 3 seasons prior to that, he was more than ready to come to the NHL before Big E, but for some reason he couldn't crack the lineup....wonder why....

Guest Heaten

Uh....Kindl played in 55 games last season and 48 games the prior season. Last year was not his first full season in the NHL, so yes, I do know what I am talking about... PLUS he played THREE full seasons and some change in GR where he was less than stellar amassing a nice -58 in +/- and a whole 89 points...

Listen, I am not saying get rid of him, I am getting rid of Quincey and keeping Kindl, BUT Kindl will not make the top 6 if Holland gets both Suter/Schultz. If Holland really wants Schultz here, he has to promise him playing time, if Kindl is bumped because of it, then oh well that's the business. If for some reason Schultz farts, and he might, then he'll be put up in the box, not coddled. Then if Schultz complains and *******, trade him. Bottom line is Holland is going to give Schultz that #5/#6 spot and it will be his to lose...Kindl and Smith will rotate the #6/#7....But if Quincey signs then Kindl is out...

Nyquist has been given chances year-after-year, too. Lol. You fail to see how Holland operates his young guys. Of course he will sent down on his former 2-way contract.... much like Smith last year. Smith should have been up full time, but Holland opted to keeping him in GR instead.

My point is the "best" guy should get the job, not given to him because the name on his back. And that is exactly what Babcock will do despite the promises Holland makes this snotty nose kid who thinks he is "entitled".

It seems Babcock and Holland bump heads and this scenario will be another situation. Schultz will need to beat Kindl/Quincy for the spot, if not, he'll be benched. Simple as that.

That said, I don't think Schultz comes here. He knows he isn't going to be "given" ice time no matter how much he stomps his feet and holds his breath like a 5 year old.