• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

Blue chip, top-4 offensive defenseman prospect expected to hit free agency this July. Anaheim has exlcusive rights initially for 30 days but it looks like he is expected to hit free agency. TSN's Bob McKenzie expects him to be the top UFA behind Parise and Suter this offseason. Even though we have a good offensive defenseman in Smith, a top level prospect would be good for our prospect pool. Any one have thoughts?

NBC Sports PHT article

Edit: just saw the topic in the prospects section, but might as well keep this here since not many people frequent that section of the forum.

Edited by Matt

Blue chip, top-4 offensive defenseman prospect expected to hit free agency this July. Anaheim has exlcusive rights initially for 30 days but it looks like he is expected to hit free agency. TSN's Bob McKenzie expects him to be the top UFA behind Parise and Suter this offseason. Even though we have a good offensive defenseman in Smith, a top level prospect would be good for our prospect pool. Any one have thoughts?

NBC Sports PHT article

Edit: just saw the topic in the prospects section, but might as well keep this here since not many people frequent that section of the forum.

Never heard of him. But a top prospect is a top prospect. I'm sure The Wings may be on his list, but do we want some premadonna that refuses to sign for an NHL team? Who does he think he is? No thanks.

Never heard of him. But a top prospect is a top prospect. I'm sure The Wings may be on his list, but do we want some premadonna that refuses to sign for an NHL team? Who does he think he is? No thanks.

Agreed. These premadonnas are a diamond dozen. It's a doggy dog world out there so these kids shouldn't be taking stuff like this for granite.

Guest Johnz96

Lidstrom - Suter

Kronwall - Girardi*

Ericsson - Smith

Kindl

*For White + Quincey

Girardi is their top defenseman, he got more ice-time than any other Ranger in the regular season and in the playoffs. The only way a 2 for 1 trade like that is attractive to the team giving up 1 guy is if one of the players in return is rgarded as having the potential to possibly be as good some day. If Girardi wanted out of N.Y. for some reason it would take something more like Quincey or White + Smith or Nyquist

Edited by Johnz96

i think you guys are SERIOUSLY underestimating girardi if you think the rangers would deal him for quincey and i white package.... try smith and nyquist

as for schultz... this kids not going to sign here unless we offer him a top 6 spot. wings will want him in the AHL, other teams will take him right on their roster. move ericcson or kindl and we could get him most likely but i can almost guarantee that wont happen.

Edited by DangleDangleBeach

Girardi is their top defenseman, he got more ice-time than any other Ranger in the regular season and in the playoffs. The only way a 2 for 1 trade like that is attractive to the team giving up 1 guy is if one of the players in return is rgarded as having the potential to possibly be as good some day. If Girardi wanted out of N.Y. for some reason it would take something more like Quincey or White + Smith or Nyquist

I meant to tack on Nyquist, don't know why I didn't. Though, since we're on the subject - I don't think Smith + Quincey for Girardi would necessarily be dismissed outright. Not that I'm full-on disagreeing, mind you.

At any rate, I'm thinking maybe we should try to solidify our blue line this summer and focus on our forward corps. next summer, when the UFA pool is deeper, better. (Realistically, this team's issues can't all be addressed and resolved in one season.) I guess in my perfect world we'd add Suter, Girardi, and Bryan Allen.

Lidstrom - Suter

Kronwall - Girardi

Ericsson - Allen

Smith

I don't think we'll get Shultz. But then, I don't think we'll trade for Girardi. (For shame, for shame....)

From ESPN:

4. Justin Schultz, University of Wisconsin

Perhaps the most intriguing asset of all, Schultz still belongs -- somewhat -- to the Anaheim Ducks. But probably not for long.

If/when the hottest defensive prospect becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1 (other NHL teams can start talking to the college star June 1), TSN's Bob MacKenzie suggests the Edmonton Oilers could be first in line. And while several scribes in Vancouver propose the Canucks could have the hometown edge in signing the 21-year-old Kelowna native, don't rule Detroit out of the mix either. Again, as a right-handed shot with the potential to run the power play, Schultz should fall well within GM Ken Holland's sights.

more from ESPN today:

If Schultz opts to test the free agent market -- as most believe he will -- the Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, and Detroit Red Wings are considered frontrunners to land the 21-year-old sensation.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Schultz*, Dekeyser*, Welsh*, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Mrazek, Jurco, Pulkkinen....looks like a nice future!

*-my GR signing wish list!

It sounds nice but nowhere near as great as the Minnesota Wild prospects. That team should win the next 10 Stanley Cups with all the great young talent they have in their system. They will be even better once Suter and Parise sign there.

It sounds nice but nowhere near as great as the Minnesota Wild prospects. That team should win the next 10 Stanley Cups with all the great young talent they have in their system. They will be even better once Suter and Parise sign there.

I know, right? I'm just waiting for this place's eventual turn into letsgowild.com :hehe:

Still think Schultz would be a good pick-up but even if Lids retires, we don't get Suter, & Stewie leaves for Cali, I still don't see him in the lineup for the Wings right away. If NHL ice time is going to be the key to his signing, don't think it will be Detroit.

Edited by ogreslayer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Schultz and Brendan Smith were actually on the same pairing the year Sconnie went to the Frozen Four. Could be a selling point as a future #1 pairing?

Guest Johnz96

Schultz*, Dekeyser*, Welsh*, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Mrazek, Jurco, Pulkkinen....looks like a nice future!

*-my GR signing wish list!

Welsh has signed with Carolina, I was hoping we would sign him too

Edited by Johnz96