• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings make contract offer to D Justin Schultz

Rate this topic

Maybe with Lidstrom now gone maybe we do take a stab at him? I'm sorry people but I ain't interested in Suter. Everyone keeps saying Schultz is NHL ready yet however knowing how our system works, does he dodge that if we somehow sign him? I don't know...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Schultz and Brendan Smith were actually on the same pairing the year Sconnie went to the Frozen Four. Could be a selling point as a future #1 pairing?

I remember when Brendan Smith scored two goals and on the second he did the Heisman pose. On ice. It was... interesting.

Welsh has signed with Carolina, I was hoping we would sign him too

Welsh signed a contract LAST SEASON to play the rest of the year with Carolina...he is an RFA come July 1st. He won't get a contract over $1M so there is NO COMPENSATION to Carolina for a team signing him as an RFA...He could very well be in the Detroit Organization come this July...

I have no problem with this possibility. With what is about to transpire this morning, re-stocking our defensive corps. with young highly touted prospects is a no brain-er...

I like what I see in this here highlight video, yalls...

Article: Nicklas Lidstrom Retirement Adds a Wrinkle to Justin Schultz Free Agency

Question is, will we have to overpay for this kid, with the little Edmonton/Vancouver/Toronto/NYR/etc bidding war that is about to open?

Honestly, if he is as good as he is touted, then Holland CAN guarantee him time in Detroit. With Lids/Stuart (more than likely) gone. Kindl has been a bust in my opinion and he really has noone in GR that has earned the right to be here full time (other than Smith obviously) so Schultz can come in be #6 along side Smith or Big E and keep Kindl at #7...that is if they want to save SOME Cap space and let Quincey walk and only sign Suter/Schultz...

Kronwall-Suter

White-Smith

Ericsson-Schultz

Kindl

I would like Wideman at #5/#6 but Schultz would cost about $3M less and like i said, if he is as good as he looks...bring him on!

Note: I did comment before on signing him for GRR along with Dekeyser and Welsh, but if he is ligit NHL ready, bring it! Save some Cap for deadline!

Schultz is good and Ill be thrilled if we sign him. That being said, we already have a stud whos bigger, more physical, and put up more points than Schultz ever has 3 seasons ago ... Brendan Smith is the real deal and if he plays on the big club and his minutes are managed accordingly well see that this year.

Guest Johnz96

Now that Lidstrom has retired, I think the Wings are an even more attractive organization for him, especially if we don't get Suter (I wouldn't go over $7 mill for him and he will probably be offered more)

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here boys? I don't mind the Wings floating an offer to the kid, but most of us have never seen him play a game in our lives. Additionally, the kid has never played a game in our system. Additionally, we've already got one rookie that's going to be seeing regular minutes next season. Offer him a contract and see what he can do in camp and in GR, but don't go promising him your sisters and daughters quite yet.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

Offer him an invite to camp and see what he's got.. Assuming he doesn't sign anywhere by then. Sounds like he has a promising future though.... He'll probly like the idea of a him an smith future top 2.

lol

He is the 3rd most sought after free-agent this year after Parise and Suter

lol

Exactly. No way he lasts into September where he's taking camp invites in order to earn a contract. Have a feeling he'll be signed within the first week of July.

Agreed. These premadonnas are a diamond dozen. It's a doggy dog world out there so these kids shouldn't be taking stuff like this for granite.

I nearly threw my chair across the room and prepared to punch you from over 3000 miles away as the crow flies... but the granite settled me down :) I was born in the 1990 so I don't remember those pre-Madonna days but I'm sure they were better for the overall standard of music

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here boys? I don't mind the Wings floating an offer to the kid, but most of us have never seen him play a game in our lives. Additionally, the kid has never played a game in our system. Additionally, we've already got one rookie that's going to be seeing regular minutes next season. Offer him a contract and see what he can do in camp and in GR, but don't go promising him your sisters and daughters quite yet.

Seen him play a lot in the WCHA, hell of a defense men. Probably close to the best D in college hockey last year. I say he is good..

Stats from last year.

http://www.wcha.com/men/statistics/players12.php?wism02

Seen him play a lot in the WCHA, hell of a defense men. Probably close to the best D in college hockey last year. I say he is good..

Stats from last year.

http://www.wcha.com/...rs12.php?wism02

Yeah no doubt, I'm not suggesting that the kid doesn't have skill. I'm just saying there's a pretty significant step up from college hockey to the AHL, let alone from college hockey to the NHL. I see people recommending guaranteeing this kid a spot on the Wings next year (in one case someone suggesting offering him the top pairing in the future) and he's never even played a game in the AHL. I'm just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sign him if you want, but it better be to a two way contract and see what he's got in camp, but make no guarantees about spots on the big club. You never know if you've got the next Brunnstrom on your hands.

Yeah no doubt, I'm not suggesting that the kid doesn't have skill. I'm just saying there's a pretty significant step up from college hockey to the AHL, let alone from college hockey to the NHL. I see people recommending guaranteeing this kid a spot on the Wings next year (in one case someone suggesting offering him the top pairing in the future) and he's never even played a game in the AHL. I'm just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sign him if you want, but it better be to a two way contract and see what he's got in camp, but make no guarantees about spots on the big club. You never know if you've got the next Brunnstrom on your hands.

Then the Wings won't get him. He will have multiple full-time NHL offers. If you want to get a potential top pairing defenseman then you have to take the chance and guarantee him a spot in the top 6 from day 1.

Then the Wings won't get him. He will have multiple full-time NHL offers. If you want to get a potential top pairing defenseman then you have to take the chance and guarantee him a spot in the top 6 from day 1.

I agree with you, that's the risk you run. But it's never really been in Holland's nature to grant spots on the team to guys based on talent alone. I'm not really worried though, with Smith, Dekeyser, and Ouellet developing I think we're in pretty good shape in the "Prospects with Potential" department.

Edit: Well I guess I should take a step back. Is the kid so skilled that he's in the Toews, Crosby, Stamkos department? I mean, is it completely obvious to anyone whose ever seen him play that he's going to be elite, and practically is already? If he's that good, then sure. If not, we've got a development program for a reason.

Edited by kipwinger

lol

Alright touché haha. I posted with knowing very little about him.. My bad. But that being said, I doubt we get him. He'll probly wanna go wherever he gets the most ice time right away

I agree with you, that's the risk you run. But it's never really been in Holland's nature to grant spots on the team to guys based on talent alone. I'm not really worried though, with Smith, Dekeyser, and Ouellet developing I think we're in pretty good shape in the "Prospects with Potential" department.

Edit: Well I guess I should take a step back. Is the kid so skilled that he's in the Toews, Crosby, Stamkos department? I mean, is it completely obvious to anyone whose ever seen him play that he's going to be elite, and practically is already? If he's that good, then sure. If not, we've got a development program for a reason.

Dekeyser isn't Red Wings property. He's still in school at Western Michigan and he's still a free agent.

I wouldn't put him in the that category. It sounds like he's NHL ready and has lots of potential, but those 3 were already solid NHL'ers at Schultz's age.

It would be very unlike Holland to give him a spot with the Wings, but if there's a time that he would do it I think it's now. Lidstrom is gone, we don't have any can't miss D prospects outside of Smith, and we have the cap space and roster spot for him. I'd gladly dump Quincey and give his spot to Schultz if that's what it took.