#21 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

From ESPN:

4. Justin Schultz, University of Wisconsin

Perhaps the most intriguing asset of all, Schultz still belongs -- somewhat -- to the Anaheim Ducks. But probably not for long.

If/when the hottest defensive prospect becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1 (other NHL teams can start talking to the college star June 1), TSN's Bob MacKenzie suggests the Edmonton Oilers could be first in line. And while several scribes in Vancouver propose the Canucks could have the hometown edge in signing the 21-year-old Kelowna native, don't rule Detroit out of the mix either. Again, as a right-handed shot with the potential to run the power play, Schultz should fall well within GM Ken Holland's sights.

more from ESPN today:

If Schultz opts to test the free agent market -- as most believe he will -- the Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, and Detroit Red Wings are considered frontrunners to land the 21-year-old sensation.

#22 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Schultz*, Dekeyser*, Welsh*, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Mrazek, Jurco, Pulkkinen....looks like a nice future!

*-my GR signing wish list!

It sounds nice but nowhere near as great as the Minnesota Wild prospects. That team should win the next 10 Stanley Cups with all the great young talent they have in their system. They will be even better once Suter and Parise sign there.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#23 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

It sounds nice but nowhere near as great as the Minnesota Wild prospects. That team should win the next 10 Stanley Cups with all the great young talent they have in their system. They will be even better once Suter and Parise sign there.

I know, right? I'm just waiting for this place's eventual turn into letsgowild.com :hehe:

Still think Schultz would be a good pick-up but even if Lids retires, we don't get Suter, & Stewie leaves for Cali, I still don't see him in the lineup for the Wings right away. If NHL ice time is going to be the key to his signing, don't think it will be Detroit.

Edited by ogreslayer, 30 May 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#24 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Schultz and Brendan Smith were actually on the same pairing the year Sconnie went to the Frozen Four. Could be a selling point as a future #1 pairing?
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#25 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Schultz*, Dekeyser*, Welsh*, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Mrazek, Jurco, Pulkkinen....looks like a nice future!

*-my GR signing wish list!

Welsh has signed with Carolina, I was hoping we would sign him too

Edited by Johnz96, 30 May 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#26 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Maybe with Lidstrom now gone maybe we do take a stab at him? I'm sorry people but I ain't interested in Suter. Everyone keeps saying Schultz is NHL ready yet however knowing how our system works, does he dodge that if we somehow sign him? I don't know...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 30 May 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Schultz and Brendan Smith were actually on the same pairing the year Sconnie went to the Frozen Four. Could be a selling point as a future #1 pairing?

I remember when Brendan Smith scored two goals and on the second he did the Heisman pose. On ice. It was... interesting.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Welsh has signed with Carolina, I was hoping we would sign him too

Welsh signed a contract LAST SEASON to play the rest of the year with Carolina...he is an RFA come July 1st. He won't get a contract over $1M so there is NO COMPENSATION to Carolina for a team signing him as an RFA...He could very well be in the Detroit Organization come this July...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#29 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

We need to sign this got and get some yound d-men talent in the system. Him and Dekeyser would be awesome!

#30 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

WANT

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#31 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

I have no problem with this possibility. With what is about to transpire this morning, re-stocking our defensive corps. with young highly touted prospects is a no brain-er...
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#32 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Anyone else see Chelios's quote re: Schultz...

If he's a badger, I'll get him.

I guess it just depends if Holland will offer him a spot with the Wings.

#33 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

I like what I see in this here highlight video, yalls...

Justin Schultz 2011-12 Highlights

Article: Nicklas Lidstrom Retirement Adds a Wrinkle to Justin Schultz Free Agency

Question is, will we have to overpay for this kid, with the little Edmonton/Vancouver/Toronto/NYR/etc bidding war that is about to open?

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

I like what I see in this here highlight video, yalls...

Justin Schultz 2011-12 Highlights

Article: Nicklas Lidstrom Retirement Adds a Wrinkle to Justin Schultz Free Agency

Question is, will we have to overpay for this kid, with the little Edmonton/Vancouver/Toronto/NYR/etc bidding war that is about to open?

Honestly, if he is as good as he is touted, then Holland CAN guarantee him time in Detroit. With Lids/Stuart (more than likely) gone. Kindl has been a bust in my opinion and he really has noone in GR that has earned the right to be here full time (other than Smith obviously) so Schultz can come in be #6 along side Smith or Big E and keep Kindl at #7...that is if they want to save SOME Cap space and let Quincey walk and only sign Suter/Schultz...

Kronwall-Suter
White-Smith
Ericsson-Schultz
Kindl

I would like Wideman at #5/#6 but Schultz would cost about $3M less and like i said, if he is as good as he looks...bring him on!

Note: I did comment before on signing him for GRR along with Dekeyser and Welsh, but if he is ligit NHL ready, bring it! Save some Cap for deadline!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#35 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Schultz is good and Ill be thrilled if we sign him. That being said, we already have a stud whos bigger, more physical, and put up more points than Schultz ever has 3 seasons ago ... Brendan Smith is the real deal and if he plays on the big club and his minutes are managed accordingly well see that this year.

#36 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Now that Lidstrom has retired, I think the Wings are an even more attractive organization for him, especially if we don't get Suter (I wouldn't go over $7 mill for him and he will probably be offered more)

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here boys? I don't mind the Wings floating an offer to the kid, but most of us have never seen him play a game in our lives. Additionally, the kid has never played a game in our system. Additionally, we've already got one rookie that's going to be seeing regular minutes next season. Offer him a contract and see what he can do in camp and in GR, but don't go promising him your sisters and daughters quite yet.

Edited by kipwinger, 01 June 2012 - 05:43 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#38 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Offer him an invite to camp and see what he's got.. Assuming he doesn't sign anywhere by then. Sounds like he has a promising future though.... He'll probly like the idea of a him an smith future top 2.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#39 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

you can never have enough good young talent. if we can sign him, do so. being RH doesn't hurt either.

#40 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Offer him an invite to camp and see what he's got.. Assuming he doesn't sign anywhere by then. Sounds like he has a promising future though.... He'll probly like the idea of a him an smith future top 2.

lol
He is the 3rd most sought after free-agent this year after Parise and Suter