#41 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

lol
He is the 3rd most sought after free-agent this year after Parise and Suter

Exactly. No way he lasts into September where he's taking camp invites in order to earn a contract. Have a feeling he'll be signed within the first week of July.

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

I'm sorry people but I ain't interested in Suter.

No more crystal meth for you.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Agreed. These premadonnas are a diamond dozen. It's a doggy dog world out there so these kids shouldn't be taking stuff like this for granite.

I nearly threw my chair across the room and prepared to punch you from over 3000 miles away as the crow flies... but the granite settled me down :) I was born in the 1990 so I don't remember those pre-Madonna days but I'm sure they were better for the overall standard of music

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#44 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here boys? I don't mind the Wings floating an offer to the kid, but most of us have never seen him play a game in our lives. Additionally, the kid has never played a game in our system. Additionally, we've already got one rookie that's going to be seeing regular minutes next season. Offer him a contract and see what he can do in camp and in GR, but don't go promising him your sisters and daughters quite yet.

Seen him play a lot in the WCHA, hell of a defense men. Probably close to the best D in college hockey last year. I say he is good..

Stats from last year.
http://www.wcha.com/...rs12.php?wism02
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Seen him play a lot in the WCHA, hell of a defense men. Probably close to the best D in college hockey last year. I say he is good..

Stats from last year.
http://www.wcha.com/...rs12.php?wism02

Yeah no doubt, I'm not suggesting that the kid doesn't have skill. I'm just saying there's a pretty significant step up from college hockey to the AHL, let alone from college hockey to the NHL. I see people recommending guaranteeing this kid a spot on the Wings next year (in one case someone suggesting offering him the top pairing in the future) and he's never even played a game in the AHL. I'm just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sign him if you want, but it better be to a two way contract and see what he's got in camp, but make no guarantees about spots on the big club. You never know if you've got the next Brunnstrom on your hands.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yeah no doubt, I'm not suggesting that the kid doesn't have skill. I'm just saying there's a pretty significant step up from college hockey to the AHL, let alone from college hockey to the NHL. I see people recommending guaranteeing this kid a spot on the Wings next year (in one case someone suggesting offering him the top pairing in the future) and he's never even played a game in the AHL. I'm just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sign him if you want, but it better be to a two way contract and see what he's got in camp, but make no guarantees about spots on the big club. You never know if you've got the next Brunnstrom on your hands.

Then the Wings won't get him. He will have multiple full-time NHL offers. If you want to get a potential top pairing defenseman then you have to take the chance and guarantee him a spot in the top 6 from day 1.

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Then the Wings won't get him. He will have multiple full-time NHL offers. If you want to get a potential top pairing defenseman then you have to take the chance and guarantee him a spot in the top 6 from day 1.

I agree with you, that's the risk you run. But it's never really been in Holland's nature to grant spots on the team to guys based on talent alone. I'm not really worried though, with Smith, Dekeyser, and Ouellet developing I think we're in pretty good shape in the "Prospects with Potential" department.

Edit: Well I guess I should take a step back. Is the kid so skilled that he's in the Toews, Crosby, Stamkos department? I mean, is it completely obvious to anyone whose ever seen him play that he's going to be elite, and practically is already? If he's that good, then sure. If not, we've got a development program for a reason.

Edited by kipwinger, 02 June 2012 - 03:09 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#48 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

lol
He is the 3rd most sought after free-agent this year after Parise and Suter

Alright touché haha. I posted with knowing very little about him.. My bad. But that being said, I doubt we get him. He'll probly wanna go wherever he gets the most ice time right away

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#49 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

I agree with you, that's the risk you run. But it's never really been in Holland's nature to grant spots on the team to guys based on talent alone. I'm not really worried though, with Smith, Dekeyser, and Ouellet developing I think we're in pretty good shape in the "Prospects with Potential" department.

Edit: Well I guess I should take a step back. Is the kid so skilled that he's in the Toews, Crosby, Stamkos department? I mean, is it completely obvious to anyone whose ever seen him play that he's going to be elite, and practically is already? If he's that good, then sure. If not, we've got a development program for a reason.

Dekeyser isn't Red Wings property. He's still in school at Western Michigan and he's still a free agent.

#50 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I wouldn't put him in the that category. It sounds like he's NHL ready and has lots of potential, but those 3 were already solid NHL'ers at Schultz's age.

It would be very unlike Holland to give him a spot with the Wings, but if there's a time that he would do it I think it's now. Lidstrom is gone, we don't have any can't miss D prospects outside of Smith, and we have the cap space and roster spot for him. I'd gladly dump Quincey and give his spot to Schultz if that's what it took.

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Dekeyser isn't Red Wings property. He's still in school at Western Michigan and he's still a free agent.

Edit: I just looked back over the articles about him and all it says is that Detroit has the inside track on Dekeyser. I thought I read somewhere that he was pretty committed to signing with them and they encouraged him to return to WMU but I can't find that anywhere so I guess I'll have to crawfish a little bit on that one.

Still not sold on guaranteeing any rookie a position on the team based on talent alone, very very risky. Especially when our defense is thin as it is right now, and extra especially considering adding Smith and Schultz as the fifth and sixth defensemen, plus Kronwall, White, Ericsson, and whoever else, would pretty much guarantee us the smallest defense corps in the league. No thanks.

Edited by kipwinger, 02 June 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#52 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Edit: I just looked back over the articles about him and all it says is that Detroit has the inside track on Dekeyser. I thought I read somewhere that he was pretty committed to signing with them and they encouraged him to return to WMU but I can't find that anywhere so I guess I'll have to crawfish a little bit on that one.

Still not sold on guaranteeing any rookie a position on the team based on talent alone, very very risky. Especially when our defense is thin as it is right now, and extra especially considering adding Smith and Schultz as the fifth and sixth defensemen, plus Kronwall, White, Ericsson, and whoever else, would pretty much guarantee us the smallest defense corps in the league. No thanks.

Gotta take chances to make advances
Quincey's got size

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Gotta take chances to make advances
Quincey's got size

Not really sure that the year to "take chances to make advances" is the one where you're losing two of your top four defensemen with nobody really ready to step into those shoes. We're already taking a chance by resting next year's defense on free agents.

#54 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

No more crystal meth for you.

oh alright lol.

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

oh alright lol.

I'm not going to say that he's not a player I'm interested in, but I agree that the guy isn't the be all and end all of defensemen. Additionally, depending on how high his future salary gets bid up, I think there are some better options moving forward. So, I'd certainly never suggest you were on crack for passing on Suter if it doesn't make sense for the team.

#56 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

I'm not going to say that he's not a player I'm interested in, but I agree that the guy isn't the be all and end all of defensemen. Additionally, depending on how high his future salary gets bid up, I think there are some better options moving forward. So, I'd certainly never suggest you were on crack for passing on Suter if it doesn't make sense for the team.

It's cool brah it's cool. I mean I don't mind Suter and all but I just don't see him fitting on our team. He reminds me of a grade B Rafalski. We shall see. And on regards to Justin Schultz I like the idea if we got him of pairing him with Smith. The youth of our organization is getting the call now and I'm looking forward to it.

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

It's cool brah it's cool. I mean I don't mind Suter and all but I just don't see him fitting on our team. He reminds me of a grade B Rafalski. We shall see. And on regards to Justin Schultz I like the idea if we got him of pairing him with Smith. The youth of our organization is getting the call now and I'm looking forward to it.

I think Suter is a perfect fit for Kronwall. And Schultz/Smith is intriguing, especially seeing as Schultz is a right handed shot.

Suter - Kronwall
Smith - Schultz
Ericsson - White

Quincey can walk and Kindl can serve as 7th or trade bait. Sign DeKeyser and season him in GR for a year and then replace White with DeKeyser after next year and Ryan Sproul should be ready to replace Ericsson the year after when his stupid contract expires.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#58 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

I don't think Suter is a grade B Rafalski at all. They both have similar offensive upside, but Suter is far superior defensively to that of Raf. Suter's no Lidstrom, but he'll be able to partially control the bleeding of Nick's departure.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#59 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

Kronwall
White
Ericsson
Smith
Kindl

These are the defenseman already signed for next year. Quincey, and an acquisition (ala Suter) would give us 7 dman for the year. If this kid is willing to outperform one of Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, or Quincey to earn his roster spot, than I'm fine with signing him. 8 NHL ready Dman is good depth and right where Babs and Holland like to sit going into the playoffs. If he's looking to get guaranteed minutes regardless of how he performs, then Toronto or some other team can take him.

Suter (or some other top 4, preferably top 2 Dman)

#60 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

I think Suter is a perfect fit for Kronwall. And Schultz/Smith is intriguing, especially seeing as Schultz is a right handed shot.

Suter - Kronwall
Smith - Schultz
Ericsson - White

Quincey can walk and Kindl can serve as 7th or trade bait. Sign DeKeyser and season him in GR for a year and then replace White with DeKeyser after next year and Ryan Sproul should be ready to replace Ericsson the year after when his stupid contract expires.

This exactly! If Holland is going to go with a Schultz over another seasoned D-Man (Wideman) then absolutely team him up with Smith (former teammates) but I think they would be #5/#6 instead of #3/#4. No bother though. Definitely Quincey needs to walk and Holland can get the compensation for him, that just makes the best sense in the whole Quincey situation. Sure would have been nice to have the #19 pick this year, but if Quincey signs somewhere else, we could have a top 10 next year! Perhaps a lottery!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?