• This topic is locked This topic is locked
295 replies to this topic

#61 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

Yes there is a step, but top young talent is just that. You can never have enough. as for the roster spot thing, we are giving Smith a spot that he has yet to earn. Granted everyone expects him to play well. But he has what, 8 games at the NHL level and hasn't beaten anyone out.

#62 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

Yes there is a step, but top young talent is just that. You can never have enough. as for the roster spot thing, we are giving Smith a spot that he has yet to earn. Granted everyone expects him to play well. But he has what, 8 games at the NHL level and hasn't beaten anyone out.

Are you kidding?

#63 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

7 points in 14 games with a 3rd pairing partner and 15 mins average a game, and was +3 in his stint....he beat out EVERYONE except for maybe Lids and Kronner, and Lids just retired so as far as i'm concerned, we have a top pairing of Smith-Kronwall unless Suter signs. If he gets 25 mins a night and PP time, you can expect him to put up even more than .5 points per game. Gotta do at least a little research before making excessively lame remarks like the mess above.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#64 DangleDangleBeach

DangleDangleBeach

BIG PAV DANGLE HARD

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

somebody made the proposal on HFBOARDS....

rights for schultz to Detroit
rights for stuart to Anaheim

thoughts on this?

i thought it made a lot of sense for the wings though im not sure Anaheim can afford stuart. nonetheless, seems to make sense for both teams to potentially get something for players that they are seemingly losing.

#65 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

thoughts on this?

i thought it made a lot of sense for the wings though im not sure Anaheim can afford stuart. nonetheless, seems to make sense for both teams to potentially get something for players that they are seemingly losing.

This would be incredible.

Edited by amato, 05 June 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#66 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

7 points in 14 games with a 3rd pairing partner and 15 mins average a game, and was +3 in his stint....he beat out EVERYONE except for maybe Lids and Kronner, and Lids just retired so as far as i'm concerned, we have a top pairing of Smith-Kronwall unless Suter signs. If he gets 25 mins a night and PP time, you can expect him to put up even more than .5 points per game. Gotta do at least a little research before making excessively lame remarks like the mess above.

if he was so good, then why didn't he stay the full year? Again, he didn't beat anyone out. in fact we went out and picked up Quincey while Smith was healthy in GR. That is the point. Yes he has talent. But last season he wasn't able to take a job from Stuart, Kindl, E, White, Quincey, etc...... He did manage to beat out Commadore......

Edited by Richdg, 05 June 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#67 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

The real question with Schultz is, who does he help us get/prevent us from getting. If we say have 8 million to improve our D, do we spend all of it on Suter or trade for Green and sign schultz. Just as an example. or sign garrison/carle/widemen and sign schultz. Signing a guy like Schultz by itself doesn't really help today. 2013 maybe. 2014 definatly. But that is were long term planning comes in. right now we only have 1 Rh D-white. This does hamper us in the breakout. far more than most would like to admit. We are also loaded with LH D: Kronwall, E, Quincey, Smith, and Kindl. Singing a schultz and then picking up a Green or Widemen gives us prefect balance on the blueline.
Kronwall and Widemen
E and White
Smith and Schultz
Kindl as the 7th

This then allows us to either let Quincey walk this year for picks, or to be traded for other needs.

#68 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

The real question with Schultz is, who does he help us get/prevent us from getting. If we say have 8 million to improve our D, do we spend all of it on Suter or trade for Green and sign schultz. Just as an example. or sign garrison/carle/widemen and sign schultz. Signing a guy like Schultz by itself doesn't really help today. 2013 maybe. 2014 definatly. But that is were long term planning comes in. right now we only have 1 Rh D-white. This does hamper us in the breakout. far more than most would like to admit. We are also loaded with LH D: Kronwall, E, Quincey, Smith, and Kindl. Singing a schultz and then picking up a Green or Widemen gives us prefect balance on the blueline.
Kronwall and Widemen
E and White
Smith and Schultz
Kindl as the 7th

This then allows us to either let Quincey walk this year for picks, or to be traded for other needs.

I would try to sign Suter and Schultz. Trade Quincey.

Kronwall-Suter
Ericsson-White
Smith-Shultz
anyone but Kindl
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#69 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I would try to sign Suter and Schultz. Trade Quincey.

Kronwall-Suter
Ericsson-White
Smith-Shultz
anyone but Kindl

That will take around 11 million to do. Add in the signing of Abby and Helm, you are running out of money fast. Also Suter is another LH D.

#70 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

That will take around 11 million to do. Add in the signing of Abby and Helm, you are running out of money fast. Also Suter is another LH D.

The Wings have about 26 mil in Cap space in a 70 mil Cap. How are they running out of space? Parise(7.5)+Suter(7.5)+Abs(1.3)+Helm(1.8)+Schultz(2.5)=20.6 mil
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#71 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

if he was so good, then why didn't he stay the full year? Again, he didn't beat anyone out. in fact we went out and picked up Quincey while Smith was healthy in GR. That is the point. Yes he has talent. But last season he wasn't able to take a job from Stuart, Kindl, E, White, Quincey, etc...... He did manage to beat out Commadore......

It probably has something to do with the organ-I-zation thinking it was better for his development to stay in GR, get playing minutes, & play in all situations instead of taking the short-term view of putting him on the bottom pairing because that's clearly where he would have been. To quote one Mike Babcock:

We felt the minutes in the minors were important. We felt he’d be on the team by the end. We think he’s an NHL player. He could’ve probably played all year, probably could’ve played last year.

http://bleacherrepor...o-the-red-wings

#72 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

It probably has something to do with the organ-I-zation thinking it was better for his development to stay in GR, get playing minutes, & play in all situations instead of taking the short-term view of putting him on the bottom pairing because that's clearly where he would have been. To quote one Mike Babcock:

http://bleacherrepor...o-the-red-wings

I understand the minutes playing in the minors are better than sitting the bench in the NHL. But if he so good, then why would he be sitting? The fact still remains, he was not one of our best 6 Dman last year. if he was, he would have played. Its not like we had 6 future HOFers out there on D.

#73 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

thoughts on this?

I like that idea
IPB Image

#74 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I like the idea of taking a gamble on Schultz as a full-time Wing next season, but it goes against every ideal the Wings have instilled for years upon years.

You don't just hand a guy the opportunity, he has to earn it. That is more than likely what they'd offer Schultz, a 2 contract... with every opportunity to make the big squad if he brings it at training camp.

#75 luvmnger

luvmnger

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

i dig the trade rights idea....big time.

Anaheim doesn't have a leg to stand on with schultz....and don't have the market cornered with landing Stuart either.

makes sense for all parties.

2 way contract...#7/8 d-man with kindl

how can the kid balk at one year away from the D organ-i-zation.

his first year of NHL adjustment could burn him if he goes full time with someone else.

the only way this wont work is if Stuart says no to Anaheim move.

hmmmm.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#76 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I understand the minutes playing in the minors are better than sitting the bench in the NHL. But if he so good, then why would he be sitting? The fact still remains, he was not one of our best 6 Dman last year. if he was, he would have played. Its not like we had 6 future HOFers out there on D.

And given Babcock's stance in that interview & others I've seen, he made it pretty clear that he was better, maybe slightly but better, than the 6th & 7th the Wings put on the ice. Ultimately it was better for his development to have him be "the man" in GR than get 11-15 minutes a game here or there in Detroit & potentially have his progress halted. So short-term, yeah Smith could have easily had one of those spots last year, and as Babs said probably the year before, but they're taking a longer-term stance from a development standpoint thinking he's going to be a solid top 4 contributor. Don't forget too that Kindl was out of waiver options & Smith's not so keeping Kindl up & sending Smith down also made sense from an organizational flexibility standpoint. There are reasons Smith wasn't up full time last year & him not being able to beat out Kindl or Commodore wasn't one of them.

#77 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have said it before...Suter and Schultz on D...let Quincey go for picks or use him in a draft day swap of rights trading and Kindl (if not traded as well) will still be #7. Schultz and Smith on the third pairing will be awesome...much like when Suter and Weber came in together and have been a tandem pretty much ever since and are arguably the best combo in the NHL right now... These two youngsters together (again) will light up the ice and they could be cornerstones on this team for years to come...

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#78 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

And given Babcock's stance in that interview & others I've seen, he made it pretty clear that he was better, maybe slightly but better, than the 6th & 7th the Wings put on the ice. Ultimately it was better for his development to have him be "the man" in GR than get 11-15 minutes a game here or there in Detroit & potentially have his progress halted. So short-term, yeah Smith could have easily had one of those spots last year, and as Babs said probably the year before, but they're taking a longer-term stance from a development standpoint thinking he's going to be a solid top 4 contributor. Don't forget too that Kindl was out of waiver options & Smith's not so keeping Kindl up & sending Smith down also made sense from an organizational flexibility standpoint. There are reasons Smith wasn't up full time last year & him not being able to beat out Kindl or Commodore wasn't one of them.

I think the main reason was to give him tons of ice-time in all sitiations

#79 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

I like the idea of taking a gamble on Schultz as a full-time Wing next season, but it goes against every ideal the Wings have instilled for years upon years.

You don't just hand a guy the opportunity, he has to earn it. That is more than likely what they'd offer Schultz, a 2 contract... with every opportunity to make the big squad if he brings it at training camp.

Smith and Nyquist are born in '89 and schultz in '90. This kid has been out of the nhl and earning it long enough since his draft year. Just because he developed outside of GR and the wings org. doesn't mean he hasn't earned it.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#80 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Smith and Nyquist are born in '89 and schultz in '90. This kid has been out of the nhl and earning it long enough since his draft year. Just because he developed outside of GR and the wings org. doesn't mean he hasn't earned it.

lol. The kid has played 111 NCAA hockey games and somehow people think he's earned the right to walk into a spot on one of the premier hockey teams in the National Hockey League? Good try, but this isn't "Mystery Alaska", it takes EXTREMELY rare talent to do that. If he's not elite in the same way that Crosby, Stamkos, Toew was, then he doesn't walk into a spot on the Detroit Red Wings without ever even playing in one of the professional leagues around the world.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."