• This topic is locked This topic is locked
295 replies to this topic

#141 lightthelamp13

lightthelamp13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Kariya, Toews, Stasny, McDonagh, Gardiner, Gilroy, Carle, Oates, Wheeler are just a few that come to mind

Crosby scored 200 points in 121 games playing forward against kids in the jrs. There is a big difference in production between defensemen and forwards and a big difference in producing in the jrs compared to the NCAA

Crosby actually scored over 300 points in those 121 games. Obviously that's rare, especially as he was only 16 and 17 years old, and is more than enough reason to bring him straight to the NHL. Even if it's the Q.

You can't even compare Juniors to the NCAA. Look at the amount of games that kids get to play in a season in the NCAA. I hate that. You play more games in a season playing minor hockey. I think that's one of the reasons why kids that come straight from the NCAA end up spending more time in the AHL. It's not that they aren't skilled enough or whatever, I just don't think that they are ready for the grind. Kids from the CHL come from a 65 game season and playoffs. They're used to playing lots of games. McDonagh, Gardiner and Gilroy never spent their entire first season in the NHL. They all got sent down at one point. And look at Gilroy now? He's a joke.

More and more kids are leaving college to head to the CHL. Probably for a good reason.

Edited by lightthelamp13, 08 June 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#142 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

http://www.google.ca...RRFhTaiSn7mlwtg

#143 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CF0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcanucksarmy.com%2F2012%2F3%2F15%2Fwho-the-heck-is-justin-schultz&ei=UfDcT7H-J8OB6gHN4LGzCw&usg=AFQjCNH8TkMLqTyVQQSkHHavXlIJIzml5g&sig2=JKnQObXRRFhTaiSn7mlwtg

Which is why Holland should sign him and let Quincey walk for the draft picks... I am telling you (not you personally) that a tandem of Smith and Schultz is going to be the Red Wings version of Suter/Weber...and guess what, they are gonna get Suter too! (then in a perfect world, Weber comes along next year!)

Seriously though, Smith/Schultz will be a great tandem...Holland needs to get this kid signed...along with DeKeyser... Very VERY important to get these kids signed...

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#144 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Crosby actually scored over 300 points in those 121 games. Obviously that's rare, especially as he was only 16 and 17 years old, and is more than enough reason to bring him straight to the NHL. Even if it's the Q.

You can't even compare Juniors to the NCAA. Look at the amount of games that kids get to play in a season in the NCAA. I hate that. You play more games in a season playing minor hockey. I think that's one of the reasons why kids that come straight from the NCAA end up spending more time in the AHL. It's not that they aren't skilled enough or whatever, I just don't think that they are ready for the grind. Kids from the CHL come from a 65 game season and playoffs. They're used to playing lots of games. McDonagh, Gardiner and Gilroy never spent their entire first season in the NHL. They all got sent down at one point. And look at Gilroy now? He's a joke.

More and more kids are leaving college to head to the CHL. Probably for a good reason.

Gardiner played the first 4 games of his roolkie pro season in the minors and 10 games there after completing his last season of college, Gilroy only played 5 games in the minors.
What about the other guys I mentioned?

NCAA has older, bigger, faster, stronger players, who play together on a team longer. Gilroy was 25 when he won the Hobey 3 years ago
There have been a few players that have played in both and they always are statistically more productive in jr. In Mike Comrie's case he went from scoring 24 goals and 59 points in 40 games for U of Michigan to scoring to scoring 39 goals and 79 points in 37 games the following year for the Kootenay Ice. I remember an interview in which he talked about h8w much easier it was playing with younger kids in jr. I thought he would be a more impactful NHLer than he became he was such a feisty, high skilled, kamikaze kind of player.

Duncan Keith is another example. He went 3-12-15 in 41 games with Michigan State his first year. His second he went 3-6-9 in 15 games before moving to Kelowna where he went 11-35-46 in 37 games.

Mat Foy is another example, he went from scoring 24 points in 31 games for Merrimack to scoring a whopping 132 points in 68 games for the Ottawa 67s the following year, an increase of over 100 points.

Tyler Pitlick is a more recent example who went from scoring 19 points in 38 games in the NCAA to scoring 62 in 56 games in jr. the following season. Jamie Olesiak has more than doubled his pace this year in jr compared to last yr in the NCAA,although he is not much of a scorer.

#145 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

Which is why Holland should sign him and let Quincey walk for the draft picks... I am telling you (not you personally) that a tandem of Smith and Schultz is going to be the Red Wings version of Suter/Weber...and guess what, they are gonna get Suter too! (then in a perfect world, Weber comes along next year!)

Seriously though, Smith/Schultz will be a great tandem...Holland needs to get this kid signed...along with DeKeyser... Very VERY important to get these kids signed...

You are an optimist to the extreme.

I don't hope against your assessment, but I just don't see all of that happening. It would be great.

If you believe the rumor, his agent demands that he plays in the NHL this year... I don't think the Wings will accept that as it is against their MO.

If they want to move Quincey and Kindl, let Smith, Schultz, and Suter play in place of Lids, Stuart, and Quincey... I would be okay with it.. but it doesn't seem like the Wings to go with far less experience.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#146 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Is it true that he only wants to play for a Canadian team?

#147 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Is it true that he only wants to play for a Canadian team?

I saw that he is expected to...
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#148 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

if he has limited his teams to only Canadian teams, then he is stupid and doesn't really want to win anything soon...There are about 10 American teams that are poised to win a Cup WAY before any Canadian team will...Think about is Schultz, the last time a Canadian team won a Cup you were 2 years old. Vancouver has been the closest, btu are about to trade away the only reason they get to the playoffs...Good luck in Canada Justin, you will never sip from the chalice...

www.thinkdunes.com

#149 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

http://www.detroitne...0395/1128/rss16

Custance thinks the Wings will go hard after this kid. Take ESPN with a grain of salt.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#150 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

if he has limited his teams to only Canadian teams, then he is stupid and doesn't really want to win anything soon...There are about 10 American teams that are poised to win a Cup WAY before any Canadian team will...Think about is Schultz, the last time a Canadian team won a Cup you were 2 years old. Vancouver has been the closest, btu are about to trade away the only reason they get to the playoffs...Good luck in Canada Justin, you will never sip from the chalice...

I live in Canada (Winnipe) and I couldn't agree more. The Jets are a couple years removed from being a bonifide playoff team. The Flames, Habs, Sens, and Leafs are now perennial middle of the road outskirt playoff team. The Oilers have a ton of great young players, but lack the depth and experience to be a great team at this point. They may have a Pens/Hawks thing where they win a cup in 5 years and then sell half their depth players to keep a few stars, but that's all the threat they pose at this point. The Canucks, well they're unfortunately the closest threat Canada has and they are cursed and I hope they never win a cup. I hope Kassian and Schneider leave and the rest of them get stuck there like the crew from the Black Pearl!

As for the Jets, they could use a guy like Schultz. Buff should go back to the Wing, Kane apparently might leave and Enstrom apparently may be traded... Mahachek will be up next year, and possibly Maxwell and Mark Flood will be on the roster full time.

Schultz should just sign with the Wings.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#151 MrBest7

MrBest7

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Blue chip, top-4 offensive defenseman prospect expected to hit free agency this July. Anaheim has exlcusive rights initially for 30 days but it looks like he is expected to hit free agency. TSN's Bob McKenzie expects him to be the top UFA behind Parise and Suter this offseason.
NBC Sports PHT article

Justin Schultz on video...

#152 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

http://www.detroitne...|text|FRONTPAGE

Hmmmmm...doesn't really say too much, but I do like the headline....I wonder who he is quoting when saying "agressive"

Edited by LeftWinger, 18 June 2012 - 04:18 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#153 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

The more I see this kid, the more impressed I am with his level of play. Add in the right handed shot and the fact that he is familiar with playing with Smith, and it's a no brainer. I think you go hard after this kid and Suter (obviously). Holland will have his hands full for sure.

#154 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

The more I see this kid, the more impressed I am with his level of play. Add in the right handed shot and the fact that he is familiar with playing with Smith, and it's a no brainer. I think you go hard after this kid and Suter (obviously). Holland will have his hands full for sure.

I have been saying this for a while now...I know it is un-Holland like to go with youth on D, but I am telling you, you put Smith/Schultz together as the third pairing and keep them together, they will develop into the premier paring in the NHL withing 3-5yrs... Add Suter to this defense and you are sitting pretty for a long time...I am not sure of Ian White's plans after this season but Holland will address that as well...

Suter/Kronwall
White/Ericsson
Smith/Schultz
DeKeyser (Kindl if you keep him)

That is my dream defense for this season and we will see who gets added if White leaves...I know since Holland said he is willing to make a trade for rights on draft day, who knows who will be traded, I could see anyone of Quincey, Kindl or Big E being dealt...So if E gets dealt, Sign Quincey...just as long as Schultz and DeKeyser are Red Wings property for a long, long time...

EDIT: Forgot about my Obligatory mention of Jeremy Welsh who will be an RFA July 1st. I would love to see Holland deal for Welsh's, Schultz's AND Parise's rights on draft day...alot to ask? Yes, but until it doesn't happen, I can hold out hope!

Edited by LeftWinger, 18 June 2012 - 05:10 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#155 luvmnger

luvmnger

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

i like your thinking!

add in brunner to the minors with a 2 way.

that kid has moves!

resembles datsyuk/jurco but faster.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#156 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have been saying this for a while now...I know it is un-Holland like to go with youth on D, but I am telling you, you put Smith/Schultz together as the third pairing and keep them together, they will develop into the premier paring in the NHL withing 3-5yrs... Add Suter to this defense and you are sitting pretty for a long time...I am not sure of Ian White's plans after this season but Holland will address that as well...

Suter/Kronwall
White/Ericsson
Smith/Schultz
DeKeyser
(Kindl if you keep him)

That is my dream defense for this season and we will see who gets added if White leaves...I know since Holland said he is willing to make a trade for rights on draft day, who knows who will be traded, I could see anyone of Quincey, Kindl or Big E being dealt...So if E gets dealt, Sign Quincey...just as long as Schultz and DeKeyser are Red Wings property for a long, long time...

EDIT: Forgot about my Obligatory mention of Jeremy Welsh who will be an RFA July 1st. I would love to see Holland deal for Welsh's, Schultz's AND Parise's rights on draft day...alot to ask? Yes, but until it doesn't happen, I can hold out hope!

Doesn't the size of this defense concern you? For a guy who has been pretty consistent in his calls for becoming "grittier" and "harder to play against", I'd have thought you'd find the size and grittiness of this defense problematic.

Ryan Suter, 6'1 198 lbs.
Niklas Kronwall, , 6' 190 lbs.
Ian White, 5'10 191 lbs.
Jonathan Ericsson, 6'5 220 lbs.
Brendan Smith, 6'2 195 lbs.
Justin Schultz, 6'2 185 lbs. (http://www.uwbadgers...z_justin00.html)
Danny Dekeyser, 6'3 186 lbs. (http://www.wmubronco...TCLID=204998252)
Jakub Kindl, 6'3 210 lbs.

All sizes taken from ESPN and verified through NHL.com unless otherwise indicated.

Edited by kipwinger, 18 June 2012 - 06:41 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#157 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Doesn't the size of this defense concern you? For a guy who has been pretty consistent in his calls for becoming "grittier" and "harder to play against", I'd have thought you'd find the size and grittiness of this defense problematic.

Ryan Suter, 6'1 198 lbs.
Niklas Kronwall, , 6' 190 lbs.
Ian White, 5'10 191 lbs.
Jonathan Ericsson, 6'5 220 lbs.
Brendan Smith, 6'2 195 lbs.
Justin Schultz, 6'2 185 lbs. (http://www.uwbadgers...z_justin00.html)
Danny Dekeyser, 6'3 186 lbs. (http://www.wmubronco...TCLID=204998252)
Jakub Kindl, 6'3 210 lbs.

All sizes taken from ESPN and verified through NHL.com unless otherwise indicated.

in all honesty? No...

It's all in how you use that 200lbs. We all know how Kronner can hit and he is only 6' 190lbs. Suter can have a bit of a snarl too. Smith has proven he will drop the gloves as will Ericsson once in a while, plus he has been coming on with the hitting too! Schultz and Dekeyser will need to grow and fill out more, but they definitely use the body more than Kindl, who I really don't want on this team. Kindl is a perfect example, you would think that at 6'3" 210lbs. he would be hard to play against, but Smith at 6'2" 195lbs. is twice as hard to play against. I will gladly take that lineup any day of the week...Grit doesn't just come from size, it comes from Heart and Desire...White holds his own, but I have a feeling this may be his last year here anyhow...

www.thinkdunes.com

#158 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

in all honesty? No...

It's all in how you use that 200lbs. We all know how Kronner can hit and he is only 6' 190lbs. Suter can have a bit of a snarl too. Smith has proven he will drop the gloves as will Ericsson once in a while, plus he has been coming on with the hitting too! Schultz and Dekeyser will need to grow and fill out more, but they definitely use the body more than Kindl, who I really don't want on this team. Kindl is a perfect example, you would think that at 6'3" 210lbs. he would be hard to play against, but Smith at 6'2" 195lbs. is twice as hard to play against. I will gladly take that lineup any day of the week...Grit doesn't just come from size, it comes from Heart and Desire...White holds his own, but I have a feeling this may be his last year here anyhow...

Fair enough, it's hard to argue against some of that. I think they're too small to play against power teams, and during the physical play of the playoffs. Kronwall was -2 on the season and -2 in five playoff games, and Suter was plus 15 during the season but -3 in ten playoff games.

There's really only one way to find out, but I'd worry about putting that defense on the ice in a physical game.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#159 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Fair enough, it's hard to argue against some of that. I think they're too small to play against power teams, and during the physical play of the playoffs. Kronwall was -2 on the season and -2 in five playoff games, and Suter was plus 15 during the season but -3 in ten playoff games.

There's really only one way to find out, but I'd worry about putting that defense on the ice in a physical game.

Ya, I agree, but there is no better time than right now to rebuild the D by reloading it as well! I remember when two young rookies played together a long time ago...Konstantinov and Lidstrom, we didn't know too much about them and Vladdy was kind of small...the rest was/is History...

disclaimer: I am not saying either of Smith or Schultz will be another Vladdy or Nick, but just referring back to win the team rolled the dice on two rookies...Even though they were already playing in elite leagues when they came here, but Schultz/Smith haven't been playing in too shabby of competition's either...

The reward far outweighs the risk IMO...I will say that I don't think Holland WILL do this, but I would love to see it!

www.thinkdunes.com

#160 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'll bet he signs with the Leafs. His former defense partner, Jake Gardiner played only 10 games in the minors before making the team and playing 75 games last season. If he wants to play right away like we are hearing Then the Leafs are the perfect choice for him.