• This topic is locked This topic is locked
295 replies to this topic

#161 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

I wonder how long it will take for everyone to turn on Smith like they did with Ericsson.... The kid has Potential and a good skill set but he has played like 9 NHL games and wasn't phenomenal. People aren't being realistic and are setting themselves up for disappointment

#162 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

I wonder how long it will take for everyone to turn on Smith like they did with Ericsson.... The kid has Potential and a good skill set but he has played like 9 NHL games and wasn't phenomenal. People aren't being realistic and are setting themselves up for disappointment

Your post starting with this has nothing to do with Justin Schultz. Comparing Big E to Smith seriously? It's funny all the people who rag on Smith and say you have said forgot what he did with us with limited minutes. But this isn't a Smith or Big E thread now is it?

The Mods here should warn you...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 19 June 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#163 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Ericsson has never even come close to having the potential Smith has and Smith is already better than Ericsson ever was...

And other than a few boneheaded plays he is going to make as he learns the league (Ericsson makes these almost every game) he looked outstanding.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#164 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

I brought this up because people were saying a pairing of Schultz and Smith would be like Weber and Suter in 3 years... Which is ridiculous.. Last year Ericsson was more poised with the puck than Stuart and Kronwall and Ericsson has taken strides forward each year... If You people are expecting Smith to step in and play better than ericsson then you'ref****** high. Ericsson is by far our most undervalued player on this team...

#165 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

I brought this up because people were saying a pairing of Schultz and Smith would be like Weber and Suter in 3 years... Which is ridiculous.. Last year Ericsson was more poised with the puck than Stuart and Kronwall and Ericsson has taken strides forward each year... If You people are expecting Smith to step in and play better than ericsson then you'ref****** high. Ericsson is by far our most undervalued player on this team...

I would have to agree, if he was paid a little less. At Ericsson's salary, he is paid just right with what he brings to the table. Still, Ericsson takes a lot of abuse on these forums, and I don't think it is deserved. He is going to be a solid defenseman for the wings for many years to come.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#166 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Also keep in mind he has been forced to play with Kindl, Commodore, Lebda... Ian white, Kronwall and Stuart would probably look worse playing with these scrubs

#167 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Also keep in mind he has been forced to play with Kindl, Commodore, Lebda... Ian white, Kronwall and Stuart would probably look worse playing with these scrubs

Probly the best point anyone has made about Ericsson. Can't wait to see what he can do playing regularly with white or kronwall.. If he even gets that chance.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#168 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

I know it's a limited sample size in some cases (Smith & Commodore), but here's what the Wings d-men looked like from a points per game standpoint last season:

Smith: 0.5
Lidstrom: 0.49
Kronwall: 0.44
White: 0.42
Stuart: 0.26
Kindl: 0.24
Ericsson: 0.16
Commodore: 0.12

Now I'm not saying that Smith is going to be the next Lidstrom, but 7 points in 14 games and from what I remember watching those games, Smith did not look out of place at all. Oh, and he got those points playing on the 3rd pairing if I remember correctly. And yes, there are higher expectations for Smith & assumed much more potential than Ericsson because Smith=27th pick/Ericsson=291st.

I think though that ultimately the debate on Schultz will be solved by him turning down a contract with the Wings because he won't have a guarantee to make the big club his first year. He'll wind up playing big minutes in Toronto or Edmonton & missing the playoffs year after year instead based on current rumors.

#169 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

He played 14 games and was great

#170 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Ya, I agree, but there is no better time than right now to rebuild the D by reloading it as well! I remember when two young rookies played together a long time ago...Konstantinov and Lidstrom, we didn't know too much about them and Vladdy was kind of small...the rest was/is History... disclaimer: I am not saying either of Smith or Schultz will be another Vladdy or Nick, but just referring back to win the team rolled the dice on two rookies...Even though they were already playing in elite leagues when they came here, but Schultz/Smith haven't been playing in too shabby of competition's either...

The reward far outweighs the risk IMO...I will say that I don't think Holland WILL do this, but I would love to see it!

It was a different game back then...size matters MUCH MORE nowadays.
I like Schultz and his game and I hope we sign him but we dont know what kind of player he will be. Anders Ericcson? Igor Grigorenko...sometimes there is much more pressure on rd 1 picks.

Edited by Motown4013, 19 June 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#171 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

I WANT him!! Make it happen Kenny.. and Brendan Smith ;)

#172 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'll bet he signs with the Leafs. His former defense partner, Jake Gardiner played only 10 games in the minors before making the team and playing 75 games last season. If he wants to play right away like we are hearing Then the Leafs are the perfect choice for him.

I'm thinking the same...From what I understand it'll be an entry level contract - however it's been reported that Shultz prefers to be on a Canadian team, and playing with an old buddy from Wisconsin gives the Leafs a pretty good chance at signing him.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#173 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'm thinking the same...From what I understand it'll be an entry level contract - however it's been reported that Shultz prefers to be on a Canadian team, and playing with an old buddy from Wisconsin gives the Leafs a pretty good chance at signing him.

yeah, basically the only contract any team can offer him will be the same entry level one, so it comes down to other factors like the ones you mention.

#174 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

yeah, basically the only contract any team can offer him will be the same entry level one, so it comes down to other factors like the ones you mention.

He can be offered the base entry level deal, which is something like $875,000k, but teams can also load incentives onto it which would raise the cap hit up to a max of $3.8m. I have a feeling more than one team will be willing to do that.

#175 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

He can be offered the base entry level deal, which is something like $875,000k, but teams can also load incentives onto it which would raise the cap hit up to a max of $3.8m. I have a feeling more than one team will be willing to do that.

They can still add that many incentives?

I've never fully understood what was acceptable in terms of incentives and bonuses under the current (and now expired) CBA.

#176 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

They can still add that many incentives?

I've never fully understood what was acceptable in terms of incentives and bonuses under the current (and now expired) CBA.

There are Schedule A and Schedule B bonuses for entry-level contracts. Schedule A bonuses have a max of $850k and they're for games played mostly, but I believe they can include other stats like ice time, points, and plus/minus. Schedule B bonuses have a max of $2M and are pretty much for trophies such as the Hart, Norris, Calder, and Conn Smythe. The Schedule B bonuses seem pretty much impossible for players on ELCs to actually earn , other than the $212k Calder bonus. So, realistically, Schultz can only earn his $875k salary plus $850k in schedule A bonuses.

#177 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Just an FYI, Justin becomes a UFA in about 10 mins...I really hope Holland does go hard after him....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#178 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

http://www.google.ca...APmyp2Q4FSo27nQ

#179 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Nice that Detroit is on the favorites list, but the author forgot to mention Smith as a former teammate....

Man if we strike out on all these guys, I will die....since holland can,match any offer, if they dont sign here means the allure of the Red Wings has been doused.....it will be a dark day in my household....

Edited by LeftWinger, 24 June 2012 - 07:10 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#180 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Your post starting with this has nothing to do with Justin Schultz. Comparing Big E to Smith seriously? It's funny all the people who rag on Smith and say you have said forgot what he did with us with limited minutes. But this isn't a Smith or Big E thread now is it?

The Mods here should warn you...

Since when is getting off topic uncommon around here? lol

Edited by Jaymister, 24 June 2012 - 07:12 PM.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi