• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

How are we to view this Finals matchup?

Rate this topic

What is going on here?

Are these two of the best teams in hockey or did the stars align perfectly for them?

Massive contributions from each team's role players (because that obviously is huge in the playoffs?

The Kings are so much better than the 03 Ducks, 04 Flames, and 06 Oilers.

+: demolished Vancouver, incredibly impressive

+: have many high skill players

but I can't get over how incredibly average they looked during the regular season.

-: St. Louis & Phoenix? Although still impressive in their dismissal of these teams, you're still looking at, in my opinion, the 4th best team in the Central and a Phoenix team that, well, you can't really take seriously.

New Jersey?

I'll be honest, I don't know much about them but at the beginning of the season, and probably at the end of the season as well, most wouldn't have them in even the top 6 in the East.

So bottom line: Is this year's Stanley Cup champion REALLY the best team in hockey or did the stars simply align perfectly in a way that at least I've never seen before for a hockey team?

To me, success in the playoffs is all about draws. And that stupid 3rd seed.

New Jersey got an easy match-up against Florida 1st round. Then they had Philly who beat Pittsburgh on the fumes of pure hatred and were victimized by an emotional hangover. Next up: The Rangers, who should have beaten Ottawa and especially Washington with less difficulty. I look at the triple overtime game against Washington as the turning point for the Rangers. Del Zotto, Stall, and Giardi all playing 45+ minutes. They were bagged against NJ and the Devils speed expoited this. But yeah, I look at the amazingly good fortune of drawing Florida first round. This third seed BS in both conferences needs to be fixed. Although Phoenix had a pretty decent run, they finished behind Nashville, Detroit and Chicago in points during the regular season, although they beat Chicago first round, so I don't know.

LA had a tough draw against Vancouver and pounded them. Or rather, Vancouver imploded under the pressure. The rest was gravy. That being said, there were high hopes to begin the season for this team who, on paper, looked like a top 3 team in the west. The surprise with them isn't their playoff success, but their inability to score during the regular season. Hats off to Lambardi for bringing in Sutter and trading for Carter. This team just peaked at the right time and are getting tremendous contributions from everyone, even Penner.

The Kings aren't really an 8th place team either. They had an injury stretch and a stretch that dropped them down the standings. This Kings team has 4 solid lines, that unlike the Wings in the playoffs, they all contributed. Picking up Carter didn't hurt either. He had a crap year statistically, but he's a big guy that has more than 1 use. Quick and Lundqvist are the 2 best goalies in the league currently and almost met in the finals. Doughty is playing like a beast and having good tough stay at home dmen like Greene and Scuderi doesn't hurt on the back end. Kopitar is proving that he's the real deal, and Brown gets the Conn Smythe if the Kings pull off 1 more round to win it. He's been consistently the best player in the playoffs on any team. Quick is amazing, but last round put him behind Brown for the hardware. We'll see how the SCF goes, but my vote goes to Brown.

I am cheering for the Kings anyways, but more so against Parise to get swept so he can come here hopefully 1 July hungry as f***!

To me, success in the playoffs is all about draws. And that stupid 3rd seed.

New Jersey got an easy match-up against Florida 1st round. Then they had Philly who beat Pittsburgh on the fumes of pure hatred and were victimized by an emotional hangover. Next up: The Rangers, who should have beaten Ottawa and especially Washington with less difficulty. I look at the triple overtime game against Washington as the turning point for the Rangers. Del Zotto, Stall, and Giardi all playing 45+ minutes. They were bagged against NJ and the Devils speed expoited this. But yeah, I look at the amazingly good fortune of drawing Florida first round. This third seed BS in both conferences needs to be fixed. Although Phoenix had a pretty decent run, they finished behind Nashville, Detroit and Chicago in points during the regular season, although they beat Chicago first round, so I don't know.

LA had a tough draw against Vancouver and pounded them. Or rather, Vancouver imploded under the pressure. The rest was gravy. That being said, there were high hopes to begin the season for this team who, on paper, looked like a top 3 team in the west. The surprise with them isn't their playoff success, but their inability to score during the regular season. Hats off to Lambardi for bringing in Sutter and trading for Carter. This team just peaked at the right time and are getting tremendous contributions from everyone, even Penner.

Actually, Florida was the toughest opponent Jersey ended up facing in the East. They were one OT goal away from losing that series.

NJ looked very impressive in their series against Philly and Rangers, especially, against Rangers. They are a very balanced team. Brodeaur could be their problem. Sounds strange but this is true... Kings made it look easy, very easy. I'm impressed. In all their series they were head and shoulders better than their opponents. In think we get a good SCF. Kind of relief after watching semis and conference finals. And yes, they are the best teams in respective conference at the moment. At least, best balanced teams. Looking forward watching the finals.

Actually, Florida was the toughest opponent Jersey ended up facing in the East. They were one OT goal away from losing that series.

You're right. It's true. I guess my logic is that Jersey didn't play that well against Florida but were eventually able to get their legs in this series against a (sort of) weak team.

Guest Shoreline

I view it like this, the Devils swept the Wings in the 95 Cup Finals, I shall always vie for the team playing against them in the playoffs (particularly if it's the Finals) to win. Go Kings.

Even if the Devils win, the fact that the Blues, Preds, and Penguins got annihilated in such a brutal yet entertaining fashion, still makes these playoffs kinda ok despite the Wings getting run over.

One thing I remember from the end the regular season last season was watching a Devils game and they were talking about an interview they did with Martin Brodeur and he was saying how disappointed he was about the Devils not making the playoffs so for the Devs to make it to the Finals this season there seems to be a fire burning deep in the heart of the Devils playes and a bit of un-finished business for them. For once I'm pulling for a Calaifornia team in LA but either way it should be a great series. It would be more impressive to me if the Kings were to win the cup being an 8th Seeded team and beating Seeds 1, 2, and 3 in that order in the West you could almost say it would be a monumental blow-up if the Kings lost to a 6th seeded team. Not to dis-credit the Devils and their ability but it would be pretty cool to see Cinderalla Make it all the way to the Ball. So with that said Go Kings!!

The Kings have had the talent for a number of years now and have been on the upswing each year. They have also been incredibly young, with no real leaders that know how to bring the culture of winning to the locker room, something us Wings fans take for granted. This year, I have actually been really impressed with how the players are carrying themselves, especially the captain in helping prepare the team and get them in the right state of mind. Their defense and goaltending had been solid for the last few seasons, but for whatever reason they couldn't score goals and Kopitar had gone on a dry spell. This year, a lot of things came together including a coaching change, calling up of minor league players who had previously not been given a shot (like King, who has been huge), and of course the acquisition of Carter and Richards. I think they had definitely been flying under the radar this whole time and all the right things happened for them leading up to this playoff run.

Every team gets their breaks when winning a cup, only rarely does it diminish the accomplishment IMO. One of the biggest reasons we won in 2008 was that we never went further than the Central time zone besides two games in the Colorado sweep. I'm pretty comfortable saying the Kings and Devils are the best teams in their conferences this year.

In order to be successful in the playoffs, you need a number of things out of your team; hunger, skill, chemistry, a system that works and people buy into, and certainly not least, luck.

Every single stanley cup winning team that I have witnessed has had each of things, and moreso than any other team. It's rarely the most skilled team that wins the Cup. They don't play as hungry as that other team that eliminated them, or perhaps they were injured at the wrong time. And maybe your team has had wonderful luck and good hunger (predators 2012) but the hunger didnt last, or maybe they just didn't have the skill to keep up with another team.

This year the Kings and the Devils have all the above in greater quantities and balance than any other team. Read into that what you will.

the stars aligned for la no doubt, but this team is playing better than any other team in decades. I thought NJ was an underrated team and I am not surprised they made it. But on the same note LA in 5. This team is just on cloud 9, holiness.

Spolier Alert: sometimes, the best team doesn't always win.

This notion may have some merit if this were a one game-championship game..but even in this case, the best is the team that does what is required to advance/win at that particular point in time.

However, in a best of seven series such as the NHL, I 100% completely disagree with you (respectfully). The best team always wins.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I concur. The best team does always win in a 7 game series. If another team beats you 4 times in 7 games or less then they were better. The Kings and Devils are the 2 best teams in the NHL. For this season anyways.

This notion may have some merit if this were a one game-championship game..but even in this case, the best is the team that does what is required to advance/win at that particular point in time.

However, in a best of seven series such as the NHL, I 100% completely disagree with you (respectfully). The best team always wins.

I concur. The best team does always win in a 7 game series. If another team beats you 4 times in 7 games or less then they were better. The Kings and Devils are the 2 best teams in the NHL. For this season anyways.

Come on now....you guys seriously believe that they are hands down the best teams in the NHL this year? Mayyyyyybeeee the best teams in the "playoffs". There is a whole lot of factors that go in to winning in the playoffs too, you don't win 4 out of 7 games on pure "betterness".....if the better team always won the wings would never lose to teams like Columbus....but it happens, and sometimes it happens 4 out of 7 times. All the right factors seem to have come together at the right time for these two, and they've played really good in the playoffs. Doesn't always mean they're the best teams out there, though one will have bragging rights for a year yes.