• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 SCF : Los Angeles Kings vs. New Jersey Devils

Rate this topic

I have really enjoyed the playoffs this year. Obviously, I am bummed about the Wings getting knocked out, but I have watched as many games as possible. Going to tune into the game tonight for sure. The ratings as a whole are dictated by the popularity of the teams. This happens in every sport. New Jersey doesn't have a huge following. The LA Kings are slightly better, but they haven't been relevant for years. I am not surprised at all by these ratings numbers.

Last year, you had Boston fans driving up the ratings.

The year before that Hawks, then the Pens, and the Wings.

All strong hockey markets.

The strong hockey markets are the ones that drive viewership. The die hard hockey fans (like me) will tune in regardless.

Because ratings do generally indicate the quality of the playoffs for one. Even hockey fans aren't tuning in because they aren't interested. We need people to watch hockey to A) keep it on TV and B) keep enough revenue coming in to keep the NHL solvent.

It's not that hard. We don't care about other people accepting our sport, we just want to keep interest high enough to guarantee a high quality league.

what??

So when the mentally fragile Canucks were having an epic meltdown in Boston last year, those games got higher ratings because the hockey was better? Or when the Sharks and Canucks were having a dive off in the conference finals, that was better hockey?

Los Angeles is not exactly a massive market for hockey and gets little national attention because of the games being on so late. The east coast bias is real. Even among Wings fans, who are pretty knowledgeable andwatch a lot of Western Conference hockey, how many have actually seen the Kings play before this playoff run? How many had seen how good Kopitar and Quick are or could even name more than 3 or 4 Kings players?

I'm sure the quality of hockey factors in some small way, but it has almost everything to do with the popularity of the teams involved.

Either way, I could care less about ratings. Here's hoping the the Kings finish it tonight!

Screw the ratings. The Finals haven't exactly been the greatest hockey ever but LA play the game the right way, and deserve to win the Cup tonight. Gonna be nice to see Richards, Carter and Penner shove it in all the analysts faces who thought they were drunk cancers, or overweight wastes of skin in Penner's case. Plus as much as I like Brodeur, I want Parise to leave the Finals with a bad taste in his mouth to get him out of Jersey and into the Winged Wheel come July 1st.

Wow some great Game 4 talk going on here tonight! :hehe:

Edit: The players have some great arguments going into the off season for the new CBA. Despite how bright Bettman says the future is, the reality is, no one cares.

Edited by Barrie

Very entertaining game. Kings have had more quality chances though.

olczyk can harp on the weak boarding call but why aren't they talking about Elias bumping into quick seconds before the Devils goal?

Especially since Penner got a goalie interference call last game for basically skating near Brodeur.

I agree. Maybe Olczyk is a closet Devils fan. :D

This Henrique f*** is starting to really get on my nerves.

Scores against Florida in OT, when I wanted Jersey gone.

Scores in OT against New York, to ruin the NHL's ratings.

Scores now to possibly ruin an eventual Cup celebration.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The Kings are skating around waiting for something to happen rather than trying to make something happen.

Agreed.

A little too nervous in their own building or something. Hopefully they close it out on the road.

I don't really dislike the Devils, but Olczyk and McGuire having such a boner for them makes me want them to lose even more.