345 replies to this topic

#141 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

These playoffs have been largely anti-competitive. Not saying they are bad, but compared to the last 5 years or so where every series was a grind-out, balls to the wall competition, this year has been really, really dull, unless you are a fan of these teams, I guess.

I will go out and say ever since the first round, I found the playoffs boring. You could say "Oh the Red Wings lost in the 1st round blah blah blah". No, I just find the rest of the matchups rather boring and uninteresting to me.

Still.. Go Kings!
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#142 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Toronto Star.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#143 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Toronto Star.

Ouch.

#144 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Why do people care so much about the ratings? I couldn't give less about it and guess what such a perfect execution by the Kings was fun in its own way. Yeah I know we are out but yo ugotta give credit where its due and the Kings so far deserve a lot of that save for Brown.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#145 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ouch.

That's why the refs should have been instructed to allow the Rangers in the Final. (Like the NBA)

Hope the league is enjoying these ratings. Those "fans" in LA won't even know who Bettman is to boo him tomorrow night during the Cup presentation.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#146 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ahhhhh, Uncle Gary, is this what you envisioned with parity? Nah, no one wants to see Detroit and Pit duke it out again....forget Chicago and Boston...Ya, go Coyotes! Go Panthers! Ya Kings! Go Mickey Mouse Club!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#147 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Rags deserved the cup this year. Outplayed either of these SCF teams for the entire season. And Original 6 teams winning the cup trend continues.

bringit.jpg

#148 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Here's hoping the Kings close it out.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#149 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

From TSN:

Few NHL players have more experience in the Stanley Cup finals than Petr Sykora, and the New Jersey Devils might be ready to give him a chance.

Sykora expects to be in the lineup for Game 4 on Wednesday night after sitting out the first three games of the finals as a healthy scratch. The two-time NHL champion hasn't played since Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals on May 19.

The last name of the Devils' Head Coach is also an indication of how they've played so far.

#150 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Why do people care so much about the ratings? I couldn't give less about it and guess what such a perfect execution by the Kings was fun in its own way. Yeah I know we are out but yo ugotta give credit where its due and the Kings so far deserve a lot of that save for Brown.

Because ratings do generally indicate the quality of the playoffs for one. Even hockey fans aren't tuning in because they aren't interested. We need people to watch hockey to A) keep it on TV and B) keep enough revenue coming in to keep the NHL solvent.

It's not that hard. We don't care about other people accepting our sport, we just want to keep interest high enough to guarantee a high quality league.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#151 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have really enjoyed the playoffs this year. Obviously, I am bummed about the Wings getting knocked out, but I have watched as many games as possible. Going to tune into the game tonight for sure. The ratings as a whole are dictated by the popularity of the teams. This happens in every sport. New Jersey doesn't have a huge following. The LA Kings are slightly better, but they haven't been relevant for years. I am not surprised at all by these ratings numbers.

Last year, you had Boston fans driving up the ratings.
The year before that Hawks, then the Pens, and the Wings.

All strong hockey markets.

The strong hockey markets are the ones that drive viewership. The die hard hockey fans (like me) will tune in regardless.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#152 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

It should all be over tonight. Come on Kings close it out
IPB Image

#153 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Because ratings do generally indicate the quality of the playoffs for one. Even hockey fans aren't tuning in because they aren't interested. We need people to watch hockey to A) keep it on TV and B) keep enough revenue coming in to keep the NHL solvent.

It's not that hard. We don't care about other people accepting our sport, we just want to keep interest high enough to guarantee a high quality league.

what??

So when the mentally fragile Canucks were having an epic meltdown in Boston last year, those games got higher ratings because the hockey was better? Or when the Sharks and Canucks were having a dive off in the conference finals, that was better hockey?

Los Angeles is not exactly a massive market for hockey and gets little national attention because of the games being on so late. The east coast bias is real. Even among Wings fans, who are pretty knowledgeable andwatch a lot of Western Conference hockey, how many have actually seen the Kings play before this playoff run? How many had seen how good Kopitar and Quick are or could even name more than 3 or 4 Kings players?

I'm sure the quality of hockey factors in some small way, but it has almost everything to do with the popularity of the teams involved.

Either way, I could care less about ratings. Here's hoping the the Kings finish it tonight!

#154 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

It should all be over tonight. Come on Kings close it out

Yes, good luck to the Kings tonight. Embarass NJ and drive Parise this way. In fact, I'm sure MR. Illitch could arrange to have Red Bird II fully fueled and waiting for Zack at LAX.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#155 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Mr. Pritchard, it's showtime.

#156 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Let's finish those damn Devils off.
Go Kings !

#157 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Screw the ratings. The Finals haven't exactly been the greatest hockey ever but LA play the game the right way, and deserve to win the Cup tonight. Gonna be nice to see Richards, Carter and Penner shove it in all the analysts faces who thought they were drunk cancers, or overweight wastes of skin in Penner's case. Plus as much as I like Brodeur, I want Parise to leave the Finals with a bad taste in his mouth to get him out of Jersey and into the Winged Wheel come July 1st.

#NOMOREKINDL

#158 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Please end it tonight, so the real circus can begin! also it keeps the devils from tying us in SC's over the 17 years.

#159 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Go Kings Go!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#160 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Let's go Kings! Finish 'em on home ice!
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman