1) Holland says there will be more change/harsher internal evaluation this off-season as opposed to others due to the sizable dissapointment. Might just be blowing smoke up our butts, but I guess we could be optimistic? Very glad to be reminded that Jim Devallano still has a big role with our team at times like this.
2) Says we will be in the market for a top-tier defenseman, regardless of what happens with Lidstrom. Suter is the #1 target, as we all know. The secondary targets are interesting to see in print:
-Jason Garrison(27, 6-2, 218, L)
-Dennis Wideman(29, 6-0, 200, R)
-Filip Kuba(35, 6-4, 225, L)
-Matt Carle(27, 6-0, 205, L)
-Barret Jackman(31, 6-0, 205, L)
3) Says we will be in the market for a goal-scoring winger. Parise is the #1 target. And again, the secondary list is of interest:
-P. Parenteau(RW, 29, 6-0, 193, L)
-D. Jones(RW/LW, 6-2, 210, R)
4) Says we will search for a big, physical 4th line forward. Unfortunately, no targets are listed.
5) Says we will search for a new backup goalie, due to concerns about MacDonald's back. Listed targets:
*(T. Conklin will not be resigned, and there is no interest in D. Hasek)
6) Says we are more inclined to improve through free agency than trades, but that trade talk will heat up around the draft...and, if not signed by then, we would be interested in acquiring the negotiating rights to Suter and Parise.
7) Our own free agents. 1) Lidstrom won't be making a decision until after the organizational meetings. 2) Hasn't been decided if Homer will be offered a contract or not. 3) Sounds like we won't be bringing back Hudler. Holland hasn't talked to his agent in "weeks". He's expected to pull 4+ mil/season, and we would not be willing to offer that much. 4) Stuart's first choice is the Sharks. We might be his second choice. But we might not have the roster or cap space available to bring him back if things don't work out with the Sharks.
Here's how that all looks on paper:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / "Goal-Scoring Winger?" ($0.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
"Big, Physical 4th Line Forward?" ($0.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.300m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / "Top-Tier Defenseman?" ($0.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
"Veteran Goaltender?" ($0.000m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $45,642,045; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $18,657,955
1) Looks like there might not be room for Holmstrom, Hudler or Mursak on the roster, if we add what we want to.
2) Looks like there might not be room for Quincey or Stuart if Lidstrom returns (unless we're willing to make Smith the 7th defenseman - doubtful).
Edited by blueadams, 30 May 2012 - 07:36 AM.