• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

Bad for fans, but maybe good for the team. If Lids retires, than he is sure of that he can't play the way he wants to and be the leader. Lids knowes this and he wont do anyting to heart the team. I hope he stays with the organization and help the team that way. He is too good to retire from hockey. Ether way it is hard for many of us to imagine Wings without Lidstrom. I just hope for the best.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/

Well, its official...now that ESPN, the AUTHORITY on the NHL has it, so it must be true! :lol: Of course it comes after the NBA playoffs report, NASCAR and Hold Em news!

:lol: Seriously, time to change this teams makeup...with Lids and most likely Holmstrom going, that officially ends the "Dynasty Era" of the 90's Red Wings... I know Dats was there in 02, but other than that....Wow, what a group of players I got to watch I went from 1979 and the Dead Wings to Yzerman and Gallant and Probert to Feds first game to pre-lockout season....HO.LEE.s***! Best Players EVER...

So if Lids is retiring then why will ilitch not be there?

Likely it's because the Red Wings didn't want to tip their hand by saying that Holland, Illitch, and even Babcock will be attending. By saying that all of the suits would be there, then everyone would know what was up. I figure that Illitch & Babcock will also be in attendance.

This joke(post) went over like a fart in church...

hey, just saying....I wouldn't be too shocked if at least 4 of those things happen.

1) fairly obvious Lids is leaving

2) Homer will likely follow

3) Stuart wants to go out west anyway

that only leaves one of the following: Hudler getting a raise here, Hasek signing with us (doubtful and I hope it never crosses Holland's mind), the Meech/Lebda thing was not serious at all, and finally, us screwing up and not paying truckloads of cash for Suter/Parise/both.

If we don't sign Suter or some other big name defense man, then I feel like we will be in trouble. Not that anyone can replace Lidstrom anyway, but it would be nice to see a top guy like Suter step up. P.S. Don't retire Nick; we all love you too much.

Edit: Am I the only one tearing up watching some of Nick's highlights and thinking about his retirement?

Edited by CaliforniaWingsFan

John Buccigross from twitter: "And when Nick senses a big moment, he turns into Kobe Bryant without the trash talk and the false bravado. He is a silent assassin. He stalks, he sees, he pounces. He is one of the best of all time at that. There has never been anyone like him."

Sad to see you go Nick, but s*** you were a great player

I am absolutely gutted to hear about Nick retiring :(. He is my favourite player alongside Abby, and he basically embodies the Red Wings. I have to thank Nick for all he has done for the team, and he is definitely an all-time great. Thanks for the memories and good luck for the future!

We all knew this day was coming, either this season or next. Frankly I have had a gut feeling since the season ended that he was done. I was hopeful the allure of the Winter Classic and potential big name signings in the offseason would bring him back but he has nothing left to prove. I think the injury he suffered also played a factor, regardless of whether or not he'll say it publicly. He didn't bounce back from that very quickly and I think that was a wake up call for him.

A friend of a friend ran into Kronwall at Patridge Creek Mall this weekend, and I was surprised to see him back on this side of the pond. Deep inside I hoped it was not related to this, but sadly it seems it may have been. This is heartbreaking to hear, but for a man that is thisclose to hockey sainthood and well deserving of the title "The Perfect Human Being," all my respect for him says he has earned the right to decide when it's time to bow humbly and with dignity out of the spotlight. Thank you for all of my great memories, Nick, from watching you play to seeing your handsome blue eyes in person. You are my captain, and I'll be there the day they raise your number! Go Wings and Go #5!

We've been mighty ******* privileged to watch the players we've seen over the years, and Nick is certainly no exception. First home game of the '12-'13 season better see #5 get raised to the rafters.

It's going to suck like hell to see the Wings take the ice without him, just like it was after Steve retired. Ugh. What a brutal month this has been for me, not just personally. Can't wait for June.

Well, I guess I'll be getting drunk while bemoaning the Red Wings new terrible lot in life. This...is just THE WORST! And I'm being way more articulate now than I was earlier when all I could get out was "we are f***ed," over and over and over again while my body slipped into a shock-like state. I honestly did not see this coming. I really expected it to be next year. I was emotionally prepared for next year. This year? This is just...THE WORST!!!

Well, I guess I'll be getting drunk while bemoaning the Red Wings new terrible lot in life. This...is just THE WORST! And I'm being way more articulate now than I was earlier when all I could get out was "we are f***ed," over and over and over again while my body slipped into a shock-like state. I honestly did not see this coming. I really expected it to be next year. I was emotionally prepared for next year. This year? This is just...THE WORST!!!

Nah, whats worse is that we had to watch Lidstrom retire bowing out in the first round...we'll have to watch Brodeur retire possibly hoisting a Cup...now that'll suck! Lets hope LA humiliates the Devils!