• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

Shocking to me. The signs all pointed to returning. I wonder if this is him not having faith in the team next season? It seemed like they could make a run for the Cup if he returned and be competitive, guaranteed.

At any rate, good luck to him when he returns to Sweden and all his future endeavors. The greatest defenseman to play the game.

I come home tired from working hard on my first day on the job. After reading this it made me completely forget about how tired I was. An emotional roller coaster from feeling sad about the retirement but at the same time happy thinking back and about how lucky we've been to have Lidstrom and being able to have watched him since I was a little boy up till now. Thanks for all the great memories, Lids! Please stay in the Red Wings organization!

I have mixed emotions of both sadness and anger.

Sad to see who in my mind is the greatest defenseman in NHL history, someone who I grew up watching, retire.

Angry to see him go out the way he did. Holland brought him back, just to stand pat and not improve the team around whatsoever around him. In exchange, we get just about shut out in the first round. He deserved a better way to go out......

He deserved a better fate.

Yeah, Stevie did too. He was out in the first round on the road as well. Makes you wonder if Holland is second guessing himself now for not doing more at the deadline.

Shocking to me. The signs all pointed to returning. I wonder if this is him not having faith in the team next season? It seemed like they could make a run for the Cup if he returned and be competitive, guaranteed.

At any rate, good luck to him when he returns to Sweden and all his future endeavors. The greatest defenseman to play the game.

That and the fact that he was injured late in the year and didn't look the same afterwards. It's like he wasn't immune to that stuff anymore and knew it.

So will Lidstrom play hockey in Sweden now?

Or is he retiring for good?

Good question. I bet he waits for a year, then maybe comes back in a Swedish league. Less competitive but still competitive, you know?

On the other hand, he seems to be a very serious kind of guy, not the kind who "unretires" again and again.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. If he doesn't want to play in a lesser role in the NHL because he's so competitive and doesn't want to play if he's not among the best, I doubt he'll "settle" for another league.

Edited by VM1138

Sad news today. The second best defenseman to ever play in the league right behind Bobby Orr. Plan the jersey retirement for next years season opener. The question now becomes does this make it harder to sign Suter? A big draw for him had to be the chance to play with a once in a generation defenseman and learn from him. In any case, congrats to Nick on all his accomplishments. He can hang em up with no regrets.

So will Lidstrom play hockey in Sweden now?

Or is he retiring for good?

I would think he's done for good..why would the greatest d man ever come back and play in a 2nd (albeit a good one) rate league.

590446.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking... and I was in the process of moving from Italy, so I missed the game... didn't even get to see him leave the ice.

Who here would like to string up Kenny for failing to make this team a real contender one last time?

Exactly what I was thinking... and I was in the process of moving from Italy, so I missed the game... didn't even get to see him leave the ice.

Who here would like to string up Kenny for failing to make this team a real contender one last time?

Me.

The lack of moves at the deadline definitely stings more now.

Unforgettable moment:

At the United Center in 1996 with my HS sweetheart during my sophmore year in college, Wings are down by one with 5 seconds left, Nick rips a slapper from the top of the circles; DING goal!

Wings win in OT.

Thanks for the memories Nick, you are forever engrained in my memory.

Thank you!

Not gonna lie, my eyes welled up when I read this.

Lids is one of the reasons I first fell in love with the Wings, so glad I got to go to a game this year.

Tomorrow already sucks

Well damn. I feared this day after the look of despair on his face in the Nashville series. His departure leaves a far bigger hole than Stevies retirement - Z & Dats had already stepped up to the plate as Stevie slipped down the depth chart. There's a lot of responsibility on Kronwalls shoulders now.

:champs: :champs: :champs: :champs:

Imagine if we all performed as well at our jobs, like Lidstrom has? Imagine if we all could be such a great role model, like Lidstrom is? A man doing what he loves, almost to perfection. How inspiring. Flipping burgers may get you quick cash, but you want to be truly successful? Start doing what you love, to your fullest potential and you'll get there. Maybe we'll see another player as dedicated as Lidstrom was to Detroit Red Wings, and to the great game of Hockey....But his name won't be Nicklas Lidstrom.