• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

I'm confused. When does he get to the part where he says he's pleased to announce they've signed Suter, Weber, Doan and Parise and he's really looking forward to playing alongside them next season?

Tomorrow night, when the dream continues.

The tank is definitely not empty Nick, it just started to move down a tiny notch from "god" closer to "mortal."

No kidding. Nick could have played until he was 50 if he wanted and he would have been an average NHL defenseman. He just didn't want to play average hockey though, and you have to commend him for that.

Ilitch says, Lids "doesn't do things that hurt his reputation or that of the team". Here's looking at you Patrick Kane.

One thing you can say about the Wings; yes, we've had our fair share of dipsticks over the years who've done dumb s***, but above all else, they represent our team with the utmost class.

Ilitch says, Lids "doesn't do things that hurt his reputation or that of the team". Here's looking at you Patrick Kane.

Indeed. He brought a huge amount of professionalism and class to the Wings organization, especially after the Yzerman years. I wonder if we'll start to lose some of that in the coming seasons...and start to resemble some of the more unprofessional teams that seem to be more and more common these days.

Its sad that players like Kris Draper and Maltby, who didn't have any issues with acting like a public idiot, get no press while an asshat like Kane gets drunk and he gets on the front page. I guess idiocy sells. :(

At least Lidstrom is widely known as one of the most respected players.

As much as it sucks that Lidstrom is retiring, I am getting the feeling that it might be what the Red Wings actually need. Maybe it is time to pass the torch, ala Yzerman and Shanahan leaving after 2006. After they left, the accountability of the team rested on a new generation, and I think those guys really stepped it up in '07, '08, and '09. Maybe the same thing will happen over the next few years...the fear of dropping out of Cup contention/dominance of the past may motivate this group to pick up their play.

I dunno, just trying to look on the bright side.

I feel so sad. This is truly the end of an era. I'm not gonna go all doom and gloom, because I think this team WILL survive without Lids. However, I would not be shocked to see our playoff streak finally come to an end soon. He's been more than just a player, he's been the example that everyone's followed, the glue holding everything together. There is a risk that things start to slide, just a bit, without him.

I wish Lidstrom all the best. We should all feel lucky to have had the chance to see him night in and night out for so long. Of course I was hoping he'd keep going, but you can't fault a guy for calling it quits when he's not 100% motivated anymore. He didn't want to play half-assed, not being at his best. And that's another reason to love the guy. What an amazing athlete and person.

"After wearing that C forever"

Dumb *****

Yeah, neither of them are long-time hockey fans...when in the next few seconds I hear them talking about Shaq :lol:

Wish we got to see some TSN coverage instead.

Thanks for everything Nick! You were amazing for the organization...as a player, mentor and Captian. I hope you stay with the organization...but I also hope you enjoy some downtime with your family and boys! Congrats on a Hall of Fame career...it was awesome to watch you play it!