• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

Yeah because obviously you know more than Nick about who's a leader in the locker room. If he mentioned Filppula, there's a reason for that. Don't be petty.

Definitely. He even said that media/fans don't see what goes on in the lockerroom, when talking about Kronwall.

Little surprised he didn't mention Datsyuk as a candidate. But I feel it's all but certain that Zetterberg will get it. He has all the qualities required and I think it will be good for him to get that sort of recognition and responsibility.

Kevin Weekes on NHL Network on why picking the right captain in Detroit matters so much. "The Red Wings are a proud franchise, an Original Six team, I consider the Red Wings the Harvard of the NHL."

Edited by Jersey Wing

Guest Shoreline

Yeah because obviously you know more than Nick about who's a leader in the locker room. If he mentioned Filppula, there's a reason for that. Don't be petty.

Indeed.

It shows you how high of a standard Nick holds himself to when he starts the press conference talking about how you have to face your career not lasting as long as you wanted (after 20 years) because your body and drive just isn't where it needs to be to play at the level you want (as he retires as the teams #1 d-man and still among the best in the league).

What do you guys think about Lids trying out his hand in management or coaching with the Vasteras club? He mentioned that hes moving back to Vasteras...and he did start his career with them.

Can you be a player/coach in the swedish leagues?

Edited by evilmrt

I was just trying to explain to my girlfriend why this is such a big deal to me and it was surprisingly hard to do. In the end, I tried to explain it thus: You know that feeling you get when there's something really super duper important to do and for whatever reason you're not the one responsible for it. Like you've got a big work project, or your car needs fixed, OR YOU DESPERATELY NEED SOMEONE TO STOP A 2 ON 1, etc. And then you get that warm feeling when you know that the person who really is responsible for it is ultra talented, dedicated, and trust worthy? Having Nick Lidstrom responsible for my favorite thing, gave me that warm feeling for 20 ******* years.

Edited by kipwinger

I wanted to hold my comments until it was official, because like just about everyone else here I didn't want to believe it could really be over. I don't use the words "pride" and "proud" to describe myself very often, but today I am proud to be a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. Even though it is likely going to be a difficult transition, I wish to thank Nick for his contributions to the success of my beloved team, and for being the kind of person that I have no reservations in counting among my role models.

....And Babs "all but confirms" Hank will be the Captain next year.

Which I figured out a few years ago when he signed that "for-life" contract. The Red Wings have set the trend that the captain of the team is either a lifer, or someone who will play the majority of his career here. Which I have zero problem with - frankly, that's how it should be.

Which I figured out a few years ago when he signed that "for-life" contract. The Red Wings have set the trend that the captain of the team is either a lifer, or someone who will play the majority of his career here. Which I have zero problem with - frankly, that's how it should be.

To be fair, it was pretty much set in stone the moment they purposefully put Z's locker next to Yzerman's.

NHL network showing the NHL 36 on Lids.

That restaurant he went to before every game should name his usual pre-game meal after Nick.

Gotta be a sad day for Homer. HIs close friend is hanging 'em up and going back to Sweden, and it sounds like Holmstrom still wants to play but may not have a place in the lineup.