• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

Which I figured out a few years ago when he signed that "for-life" contract. The Red Wings have set the trend that the captain of the team is either a lifer, or someone who will play the majority of his career here. Which I have zero problem with - frankly, that's how it should be.

I agree with you in principle, all the way.. that it's how it should be.

But.. in the sports entertainment world this was not a trend, nor is it even the case now. It just happens to be a recent thing with two captains on the Wings. The fact that the last damn near 30 years has seen two home grown world class captains back to back staying their career tenure with the same team and becoming amongst the all time greats in their respective league is nothing short of something to be highly appreciative of due to it's extreme scarcity. It may even continue with Z, but continue or not, I don't expect it to stay that way, it's incredibly difficult to maintain that, which is why I stress people enjoy what this team has now, and enjoy being able to witness such entertainment and great talent, because the odds of it continuing this way is slim as hell.

"Retiring today allows me to walk away with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me"

Watching sports all my life,but didn't hear anything better than this quote,way to say Mr.Nick

Typical. Another brilliant statement from an even more brilliant man.

Ugh still can't believe this day has happened. Sir Nick you were an amazing player and an even better man. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors! Here's to hoping you come back down the road and have a role within the wings organization!!!!

Guest Crymson

Somehow it never fully registered on me that this day would eventually come.

19724516.jpg

I'm one of the millions Obi Wan

If I could "+" this post more than once, I would.

This whole thing still seems so surreal. Lidstrom was supposed to play long enough to fuse his consciousness with cybernetics, thus creating a perfect hockey playing cyborg that would never retire, and win the Norris every year.

If I could "+" this post more than once, I would.

This whole thing still seems so surreal. Lidstrom was supposed to play long enough to fuse his consciousness with cybernetics, thus creating a perfect hockey playing cyborg that would never retire, and win the Norris every year.

Your a Jedi, posbang away.;)

End of an era, maybe even more so than Yzerman. Just like Yzerman's retirement, words cannot express how much we appreciated what Lidstrom has done for the franchise.

Holmstrom is the last man standing.

End of an era, maybe even more so than Yzerman. Just like Yzerman's retirement, words cannot express how much we appreciated what Lidstrom has done for the franchise.

Holmstrom is the last man standing.

I'm betting that Holmstrom is next to retire

So what role should Lidstrom have with the organization moving forward? I know a lot of people want him to be the coach of the defense but he can't really do that while living in Sweden.

I think he should partner up with Hakan Andersson in the European scouting department. You do travel some but I bet they'll let Nick determine how much traveling he wants to do.

Just got done watching the PC on DVR and it still seems surreal. You knew it was coming someday soon, but yet I still can't imagine the Red Wings coming out in October and Nick Lidstrom won't be on the ice. Obviously this is a very sad day for the entire organization and us fans, but more than anything I feel extremely proud today. Nick Lidstrom represents everything I love about the Red Wings. We are so blessed to have witnessed his class, leadership and out-of-this-world talent for two decades.

It truly is the end of an era too. I feel like some of the fondest memories of my childhood just got the final chapter closed today. Stevie, Nick, Ozzie, the Grind Line members, and probably Homer are all gone. It was such a treat to grow up watching some truly incredible hockey players and teams. We will never see anything again quite like the run the Red Wings had during the Lidstrom years.

I really can't even describe in words how special Lidstrom was. I've never seen a better hockey player and likely never will. Maybe perfect truly is the best term.

Thanks for the many, many memories Nick! You're the best #5. :bye2:

Edited by GoWings1905