• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

Found the tweet from the Wings last year about Lidstrom's extension. It was a conference call, not a full blown press conference.

The Red Wings have called an 11 A.M. media conference call. Speakers on the call include GM Ken Holland and Nicklas Lidstrom.

And I found a story from last year, which also points out that it was only a conference call...

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/6/20/2336804/nicklas-lidstrom-signs-one-year-contract-will-return-for-another/in/1997152

When a player like Nicklas Lidstrom is thinking about retirement and ultimately calls a conference call instead of a full press conference, you probably know exactly what his decision is going to be. That's been the case on Monday morning, as one of the greatest defensemen to play the game will return for at least one more year.

Granted, no official details have been released, but I really have the feeling that Nick is hanging them up tomorrow.

If it's a press conference, he's done. We all knew this day would come eventually, no matter how much none of us want to see it. I will say that I'm not going to be overly optimistic about this team's future without him. I foresee dark days ahead for a while. We could weather the storm after Steve retired, but Nick is a horse of an entirely different color.

Got damn it. :(