#261 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

[media][/media]

This was the video I meant to post

Edited by Jeff6851, 31 May 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#262 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

[quote name='kipwinger' timestamp='1338479340' post='2304251']
Yeah because obviously you know more than Nick about who's a leader in the locker room. If he mentioned Filppula, there's a reason for that. Don't be petty.
[/quote]
Indeed.

#263 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

It shows you how high of a standard Nick holds himself to when he starts the press conference talking about how you have to face your career not lasting as long as you wanted (after 20 years) because your body and drive just isn't where it needs to be to play at the level you want (as he retires as the teams #1 d-man and still among the best in the league).

#264 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

sad day for Red Wings fans and hockey fans everywhere.

Thank you for an amazing 20 years, Nick. I hope to see your #5 in the rafters soon. :clap:

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#265 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

The most detracting thing I can say about Nick is that he sat beside a man who had way too much hair dye.

#266 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

What do you guys think about Lids trying out his hand in management or coaching with the Vasteras club? He mentioned that hes moving back to Vasteras...and he did start his career with them.

Can you be a player/coach in the swedish leagues?

Edited by evilmrt, 31 May 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#267 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I was just trying to explain to my girlfriend why this is such a big deal to me and it was surprisingly hard to do. In the end, I tried to explain it thus: You know that feeling you get when there's something really super duper important to do and for whatever reason you're not the one responsible for it. Like you've got a big work project, or your car needs fixed, OR YOU DESPERATELY NEED SOMEONE TO STOP A 2 ON 1, etc. And then you get that warm feeling when you know that the person who really is responsible for it is ultra talented, dedicated, and trust worthy? Having Nick Lidstrom responsible for my favorite thing, gave me that warm feeling for 20f****** years.

Edited by kipwinger, 31 May 2012 - 11:03 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#268 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

....And Babs "all but confirms" Hank will be the Captain next year.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#269 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I wanted to hold my comments until it was official, because like just about everyone else here I didn't want to believe it could really be over. I don't use the words "pride" and "proud" to describe myself very often, but today I am proud to be a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. Even though it is likely going to be a difficult transition, I wish to thank Nick for his contributions to the success of my beloved team, and for being the kind of person that I have no reservations in counting among my role models.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#270 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

[quote name='NeverForgetMac25' timestamp='1338480228' post='2304275']
....And Babs "all but confirms" Hank will be the Captain next year.
[/quote]

Which I figured out a few years ago when he signed that "for-life" contract. The Red Wings have set the trend that the captain of the team is either a lifer, or someone who will play the majority of his career here. Which I have zero problem with - frankly, that's how it should be.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#271 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,965 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Other than Gordie Howe, who was pushing 50, who else played hockey at such a high level in their early 40's?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#272 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

[quote name='Electrophile' timestamp='1338480561' post='2304279']
Which I figured out a few years ago when he signed that "for-life" contract. The Red Wings have set the trend that the captain of the team is either a lifer, or someone who will play the majority of his career here. Which I have zero problem with - frankly, that's how it should be.
[/quote]
To be fair, it was pretty much set in stone the moment they purposefully put Z's locker next to Yzerman's.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#273 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 806 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Farewell Nick !

#274 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

NHL network showing the NHL 36 on Lids.

That restaurant he went to before every game should name his usual pre-game meal after Nick.

Gotta be a sad day for Homer. HIs close friend is hanging 'em up and going back to Sweden, and it sounds like Holmstrom still wants to play but may not have a place in the lineup.

#275 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Having Nick Lidstrom as the captain of your hockey team is like walking into a rough bar with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#276 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I feel honoured I got to watch him play live.

Happy Retirement Nick!

#277 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

[quote name='VM1138' timestamp='1338478863' post='2304242']
He just mentioned Filppula as one of the three captain candidates. Shudder.
[/quote]
I believe he was picked to wear the "A" a number of times in pre-season action, so it's not too far fetched. And as far as I'm concerned, if Nick vouches for a guy, that's good enough for me.

#278 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

No more freaking out when the opponent has a 2 0n 1 only to realize that Nick was the sole D-man back. I would immediately relax knowing they didn't stand a chance of scoring.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#279 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

[quote name='MidMichSteve' timestamp='1338482092' post='2304297']
No more freaking out when the opponent has a 2 0n 1 only to realize that Nick was the sole D-man back. I would immediately relax knowing they didn't stand a chance of scoring.
[/quote]

agreed, if Nick is back there's is nof****** chance that pass gets through. None.

#280 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

[quote name='MidMichSteve' timestamp='1338482092' post='2304297']
[/quote]

Well, since we're losing Stu, as well, we have Kronner for D.

That's it. I am concerned, much as I love the Viking (and Ian)

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users