• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

Babs said he wants Homer back to use in special teams situations, but from the way he was bromancing Lidstrom with his pre-game rituals in NHL36 it's going to be hard to imagine him returning. This may be the end of our 97 team.

It was A HELL of a lot more emotional than I thought it would be and I thought it was going to be pretty damn emotional.

Agreed. I was curious to see Nick's emotions in particular. He's always so stoic -- never really gets overly excited or upset in any situation. He really had to fight back the tears at the beginning and especially when he talked about his family.

I knew Stevie and Draper would have trouble getting through their announcements because they are both more emotional, but Nick is like a robot. I'm not even saying that as an insult at all -- he's just a very lead by example, follow my actions type leader. It was tough to see him even getting choked up.

Just numb Totally took me by the most surprise ever. I thought for sure after seeing him posing for the winter classic pictures that he would do one last year at least.

just speechless......

Confirmed now that Lid's "bone bruise" on his ankle was actually a hairline fracture...

Just goes to prove that he wasn't the perfect human. He was superhuman.

And people were LOLing @ me for having him casted..... Figured there was more to it...

Well earned retirement... I am proud to say I seen him play his last game at JLA in person...

Edited by Rivalred

I was just trying to explain to my girlfriend why this is such a big deal to me and it was surprisingly hard to do. In the end, I tried to explain it thus: You know that feeling you get when there's something really super duper important to do and for whatever reason you're not the one responsible for it. Like you've got a big work project, or your car needs fixed, OR YOU DESPERATELY NEED SOMEONE TO STOP A 2 ON 1, etc. And then you get that warm feeling when you know that the person who really is responsible for it is ultra talented, dedicated, and trust worthy? Having Nick Lidstrom responsible for my favorite thing, gave me that warm feeling for 20 ******* years.

I think Nick was this team and this organization's security blanket. We were Linus, and as long as he was around, we felt safe and secure. To save myself from a complete meltdown, I'm focusing on the silver lining in that the possible good aspect out of this is that it will allow further growth of this team and allow a new generation of leaders to emerge.

And people were LOLing @ me for having him casted..... Figured there was more to it...

Well earned retirement... I am proud to say I seen him play his last game at JLA in person...

While I wish that game had been much different for his sake, I was there too, and that is something I will be very thankful for. Last night I was also thinking about the number of times I've been privileged to meet Nick in person. Very fittingly, it's seven.

I am so humbled to have been a fan of this team and gotten to watch him for the last twenty years, to grow up with and in this era of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, the Grind Line, the Russian Five, and more. Today, I am grieving over a loss that is so deep because this man has touched all of the fans' lives, impacted the Wings' organization and team, the NHL, and the sport of hockey in such a profound way that it feels as if a hockey god has truly walked amongst us mere mortals. And yet he remains as unselfish as ever, thinking foremost about the high standards he sets for himself and his dedication to the Wings and humbly deciding now is the right time.

Thank you, Nick, for an incredible career. Life will go on, but I am very thankful to have shared a bit of your remarkable journey, and so grateful for what you have taught me and brought into my life as a Red Wings fan! :bye2: Varmaste lyckönskningar, my Captain!

On TSN's OTR today.

Interesting video! His remarks about talking to Kenny, and saying "they're trying to find me a job in the organization"...are we looking at a new Hakan Andersson? I don't see how else he's going to work with the Wings while in Sweden...?

Really makes me wonder if he would have hung it up last year if Rafalski hadn't beat him to it. Man I am going to miss hearing Kenny scream Nick's name after a bomb from the blue line. All that is left of my childhood wings team is Holmstrom. I just can't believe Nick couldn't make it a legal 21 years. I wanted him to play in the Classic so bad. Seriously, this is my shocked face.

shock.gif

bad.gif

Don't know if this has been posted, but it's been all over the web.

60203942621069073252710.jpg

Thanks for that. Those tickets for Yzerman's were almost impossible to get. I'm hoping that I won't miss out on Lids banner presentation at the Joe.

Awesome tweet from Alex Bolduc (@ADuke49) of The Coyotes

"ALMOST beat Lidstrom1 on 1 one time.......and by almost I mean chipped it past him and went for a change #claimtofame"

It's great to see all the players showing their admiration of Nick and his magnificent career. I know that I sure will miss him. Things sure are going to be different at The Joe. Godspeed Nick. Thanks for everything.

Awesome tweet from Alex Bolduc (@ADuke49) of The Coyotes

"ALMOST beat Lidstrom1 on 1 one time.......and by almost I mean chipped it past him and went for a change #claimtofame"

Hahaha, great tweet and a nice way to lighten up what is an understandably somber and emotional thread.

Guest Crymson

Thanks for that. Those tickets for Yzerman's were almost impossible to get. I'm hoping that I won't miss out on Lids banner presentation at the Joe.

Tickets to Forsberg's retirement ceremony were not at all hard to get. There were hundreds of empty seats at the arena that night; the Avs really do have huge attendance problems.

As a plus, I got to watch the Wings shut out the Avs that night after the festivities.

Yeah, its definitely a tough pill to swallow. I think what hurts, isn't the fact that he won't be on our team anymore, its the fact that he's such a great person and the Red Wings were our connection to him. Without him on the team, we don't have that connection, which is why it almost feels like a death to us. All we'll have of him is the memories now.