• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

It's kind of a sad time for us as fans, but I have to remember that for Lidstrom himself it's an end to an incredible career and an overall positive thing.

Who wouldn't want to have the kind of career Nick did? Sure it would've been nicer if the Wings won the Cup one last time for him, but he was one of the best to ever play the game, was insanely healthy through most of his career, and left the game on his terms while still playing at an elite level. How many players actually get to do that?

I started watching the Wings as a serious fan the year they named Yzerman captain. In all my years as a Wings fan I have been incredibly lucky to get to watch franchise players like Yzerman and Lidstrom play for 20 years a piece. How many fans get to have not one but two superstar players who remained with the team their entire career and brought nothing but honor to the organization?

Congrats Nick. And thank you.

On TSN's OTR today.

Thanks for that link. Not only was it a good interview, but the page itself really put this into perspective for me.

Nick was talking about looking forward to retirement, and on the same page was a photo of Wade Belak.

Somehow, retirement doesn't seem so bad any more.

Thanks for that link. Not only was it a good interview, but the page itself really put this into perspective for me.

Nick was talking about looking forward to retirement, and on the same page was a photo of Wade Belak.

Somehow, retirement doesn't seem so bad any more.

I'm just glad Nick retired without any big injuries, that he will remember the game, his friends, family and his team mates. That he won't have any post concusion symptons.

It's still yet to hit me that next season I'll be watching a Red Wings game for the first time in my life that Nicklas Lidstrom isn't listed on the roster. :(

Not only that, which is still making me nauseous, but we will also be playing an EA sports NHL game without Lidstrom in it. I can't fathom it. Can I just keep him in the game?

Guest irishock

Not only that, which is still making me nauseous, but we will also be playing an EA sports NHL game without Lidstrom in it. I can't fathom it. Can I just keep him in the game?

Lidstrom will probably be on the Legends team.

Lidstrom will probably be on the Legends team.

I say he just always plays for the wings in the video game. I still can't believe how bad this feels. At least with Yzerman you could visibly see he was done. It wasn't a shocker and there wasn't a winter classic game coming up in detroit.

Edited by plopster

Guest irishock

I'll admit I did cry when Nick was given the microphone. Despite the reports a day earlier, it never hit me until he actually said it during the conference.

So I did a little photoshopping with that super hi-res photo of lidstrom thats on like page 4 or 5 of the thread, how do I put that on here in the same resolution?

Edited by plopster

What would you guys say was Lidstrom's prime?

I'd say 2006, because of the amazing season he had that year statistically (although the playoffs ended terribly).

Scary thing is, he was 35 or 36 at the time. Not when you typically expect an athlete to be in their prime and having their best season.