421 replies to this topic

#321 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

[quote name='Barrie' timestamp='1338501641' post='2304389']
End of an era, maybe even more so than Yzerman. Just like Yzerman's retirement, words cannot express how much we appreciated what Lidstrom has done for the franchise.

[b]Holmstrom is the last man standing[/b].
[/quote]
I'm betting that Holmstrom is next to retire
IPB Image

#322 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

So what role should Lidstrom have with the organization moving forward? I know a lot of people want him to be the coach of the defense but he can't really do that while living in Sweden.

I think he should partner up with Hakan Andersson in the European scouting department. You do travel some but I bet they'll let Nick determine how much traveling he wants to do.

#323 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

feels like someone just died. f***

#324 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Just got done watching the PC on DVR and it still seems surreal. You knew it was coming someday soon, but yet I still can't imagine the Red Wings coming out in October and Nick Lidstrom won't be on the ice. Obviously this is a very sad day for the entire organization and us fans, but more than anything I feel extremely proud today. Nick Lidstrom represents everything I love about the Red Wings. We are so blessed to have witnessed his class, leadership and out-of-this-world talent for two decades.

It truly is the end of an era too. I feel like some of the fondest memories of my childhood just got the final chapter closed today. Stevie, Nick, Ozzie, the Grind Line members, and probably Homer are all gone. It was such a treat to grow up watching some truly incredible hockey players and teams. We will never see anything again quite like the run the Red Wings had during the Lidstrom years.

I really can't even describe in words how special Lidstrom was. I've never seen a better hockey player and likely never will. Maybe perfect truly is the best term.

Thanks for the many, many memories Nick! You're the best #5. :bye2:

Edited by GoWings1905, 31 May 2012 - 06:47 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#325 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Lidstrom you are a true champion and we're going to miss you. Thanks for everything.

#326 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

On TSN's [i]OTR[/i] [url="http://www.tsn.ca/sh...ows/otr/"]today[/url].

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#327 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Khan is tweeting that Lids had a hairline fracture, not just a bone bruise

#328 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Confirmed now that Lid's "bone bruise" on his ankle was actually a hairline fracture...

https://twitter.com/...354505216110592

Just goes to prove that he wasn't the perfect human. He was superhuman.

#329 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

[quote name='ogreslayer' timestamp='1338511155' post='2304432']
Confirmed now that Lid's "bone bruise" on his ankle was actually a hairline fracture...

[url="https://twitter.com/...354505216110592[/url]

[/quote]

[img]http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s505/Sad_Poodle14/tumblr_lzz5ynxvIW1qzw6clo1_500.png[/img]

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#330 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

[quote name='GoWings1905' timestamp='1338507852' post='2304415']
Just got done watching the PC on DVR and it still seems surreal.
[/quote]

It was A HELL of a lot more emotional than I thought it would be and I thought it was going to be pretty damn emotional.

#331 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Babs said he wants Homer back to use in special teams situations, but from the way he was bromancing Lidstrom with his pre-game rituals in NHL36 it's going to be hard to imagine him returning. This may be the end of our 97 team.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#332 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

[quote name='Red Wings Addict' timestamp='1338512551' post='2304438']
It was A HELL of a lot more emotional than I thought it would be and I thought it was going to be pretty damn emotional.
[/quote]

Agreed. I was curious to see Nick's emotions in particular. He's always so stoic -- never really gets overly excited or upset in any situation. He really had to fight back the tears at the beginning and especially when he talked about his family.

I knew Stevie and Draper would have trouble getting through their announcements because they are both more emotional, but Nick is like a robot. I'm not even saying that as an insult at all -- he's just a very lead by example, follow my actions type leader. It was tough to see him even getting choked up.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#333 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just numb Totally took me by the most surprise ever. I thought for sure after seeing him posing for the winter classic pictures that he would do one last year at least.

just speechless......
mccarty3

#334 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

[quote name='ogreslayer' timestamp='1338511155' post='2304432']

https://twitter.com/...354505216110592

[/quote]

And people were LOLing @ me for having him casted..... Figured there was more to it...

Well earned retirement... I am proud to say I seen him play his last game at JLA in person...

Edited by Rivalred, 31 May 2012 - 08:34 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#335 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

[quote name='kipwinger' timestamp='1338480087' post='2304272']
I was just trying to explain to my girlfriend why this is such a big deal to me and it was surprisingly hard to do. In the end, I tried to explain it thus: You know that feeling you get when there's something really super duper important to do and for whatever reason you're not the one responsible for it. Like you've got a big work project, or your car needs fixed, OR YOU DESPERATELY NEED SOMEONE TO STOP A 2 ON 1, etc. And then you get that warm feeling when you know that the person who really is responsible for it is ultra talented, dedicated, and trust worthy? Having Nick Lidstrom responsible for my favorite thing, gave me that warm feeling for 20f****** years.
[/quote]

I think Nick was this team and this organization's security blanket. We were Linus, and as long as he was around, we felt safe and secure. To save myself from a complete meltdown, I'm focusing on the silver lining in that the possible good aspect out of this is that it will allow further growth of this team and allow a new generation of leaders to emerge.

[quote name='Rivalred' timestamp='1338514281' post='2304448']
And people were LOLing @ me for having him casted..... Figured there was more to it...

Well earned retirement...[b] I am proud to say I seen him play his last game at JLA in person[/b]...
[/quote]

While I wish that game had been much different for his sake, I was there too, and that is something I will be very thankful for. Last night I was also thinking about the number of times I've been privileged to meet Nick in person. Very fittingly, it's seven.

I am so humbled to have been a fan of this team and gotten to watch him for the last twenty years, to grow up with and in this era of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, the Grind Line, the Russian Five, and more. Today, I am grieving over a loss that is so deep because this man has touched all of the fans' lives, impacted the Wings' organization and team, the NHL, and the sport of hockey in such a profound way that it feels as if a hockey god has truly walked amongst us mere mortals. And yet he remains as unselfish as ever, thinking foremost about the high standards he sets for himself and his dedication to the Wings and humbly deciding now is the right time.

Thank you, Nick, for an incredible career. Life will go on, but I am very thankful to have shared a bit of your remarkable journey, and so grateful for what you have taught me and brought into my life as a Red Wings fan! :bye2: Varmaste lyckönskningar, my Captain!

#336 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

[quote name='cusimano_brothers' timestamp='1338509871' post='2304423']
On TSN's [i]OTR[/i] [url="http://www.tsn.ca/sh...ows/otr/"]today[/url].
[/quote]

Interesting video! His remarks about talking to Kenny, and saying "they're trying to find me a job in the organization"...are we looking at a new Hakan Andersson? I don't see how else he's going to work with the Wings while in Sweden...?

#337 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

[quote name='plopster' timestamp='1338513797' post='2304445']
Just numb Totally took me by the most surprise ever. I thought for sure after seeing him posing for the winter classic pictures that he would do one last year at least.

just speechless......
[/quote]

I thought that as well.

:(

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#338 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

[quote name='brett' timestamp='1338507669' post='2304414']
feels like someone just died. f***
[/quote]
that's how i felt when Stevie Y retired and that's how i feel now. i had zero appetite all day. the Wings will never be the same without Lids...look at the stretch without him for 11 games when they fell from 1st to 5th.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#339 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

#5 to the rafters, stat! Thanks for the 20 years Lids! *stick tap*

#340 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

For whatever reason, this song plays in my mind as I'm thinking about highlights of Nick's career.

[media][/media]

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users