• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

So if Lids is retiring then why will ilitch not be there?

If it is retirement, I have a feeling most of the Ilitch family will be there actually as will a whole list of current & former teammates.

Edited by ogreslayer

As much as we fans want one more year, the sportswriters want one more year it is time for Nick to retire. We've all seen the little cracks in his game that were never ever there. Everyone who has watched Lidstrom play mentions what an incredibly intelligent player he is. They are right. Nick's intelligence is what told him now was the right time physically as an athlete. We must trust that intelligence once more. He knows what's what. No hanging around for him, no third pairing minutes or simply special teams, he knows it is time as a proud player as well. We've all seen guys in every sport hang around too long and you know how sad that makes you feel. Thankfully nobody will ever ever remember Nick Lidstrom just trying to get through one more year.

We will have a grand night for him when his number hangs up next to Stevie's. Both quality captains who knew when it was time to pass the torch to a franchise well equipped to move forward.

If I were ken Holland I would call Brian Burke late tonight and offer Lidstrom for Kessel. Maybe the Blue Jays game ran late and Burke hasn't heard yet.

Edited by Jersey Wing

If I were ken Holland I would call Brian Burke late tonight and offer Lidstrom for Kessel. Maybe the Blue Jays game ran late and Burke hasn't heard yet.

Ha! I bet Nick would do it, too, waive his NTC just as a favor.

You going to change the banner in your signature after the jersey retirement?

Sad? hell no. I have 20 years of great memories and 4 cups because of nick. he is one of the best ever to play the game. It is time to say THANK YOU! as loud as we can, and look forward to the next chapter. can we get a waiver and hang Nick's jersey in the HOF on Friday?

Thanks Nick for all the time, effort and memories!

I agree with this. Its sad to see someone of his caliber and heart go, but at the same time, he showed dedication and a hard work ethic for his entire career with the Wings. Congrats Nick! We will miss you thats for sure.

Here's my uneducated guess.

I imagine Kenny and Lids had a discussion like this.

Kenny: Hey Nick, I've been looking at our payroll and I'm confident that we can retain all of our FA this year. I think this is an wonderful opportunity to for our veterans to continue the path that they are on. I will "save" our money for the trade deadline and "go all out" and see what happens. I really like where our team is at right now.

Liddy: Oh great! I have wonderful news as well! Kenny call in the reports and set the press conference for tomorrow afternoon.

Kenny: Oh this is great news you'll be staying another year!?

Liddy: f*** no, I ******* quit.

Kenny's dream summer acquisitions will stat with the fall of Lidstrom retiring and continue without signing anyone of importance or players that are over the age of 35.

I didn't want this day to ever come. But come it must.

He was MY captain. I was too young to really remember Stevie leading the team, but I've grown up with Nick...it's not fair!! I wish I had gotten the chance to meet him!!!!! :crybaby:

Nick you are the greatest defenseman to ever ever ever play the game! Ever! Nothing will be the same without you. :crybaby:

First off, one of the greatest human beings to ever play the game, thanks Nick for all the memories you've given us over the years!

This is what Ken Holland gets for having no Plan B in place for when Nick ever decided to call it quits. Even IF they sign Suter...they still need another 2 or 3 top notch D-Men that are nowhere to be found. People like Kindl, Ericsson, & Quincey sure as hell aren't gonna improve any to get the job done...ugh...and people thought our D-Core looked awful last year?...just wait.

don't be sad about nick lidstrom retiring,but be happy,this is a time to remember the greatest moments in his career,and be proud that he wore that red wings jersey and worn that C proudly:

remember this moments 4 times

lidstrom.jpg

you never know he could be the next gm or head coach of the detroit red wings

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState

Guest Shoreline

Here's my uneducated guess.

I imagine Kenny and Lids had a discussion like this.

Kenny: Hey Nick, I've been looking at our payroll and I'm confident that we can retain all of our FA this year. I think this is an wonderful opportunity to for our veterans to continue the path that they are on. I will "save" our money for the trade deadline and "go all out" and see what happens. I really like where our team is at right now.

Liddy: Oh great! I have wonderful news as well! Kenny call in the reports and set the press conference for tomorrow afternoon.

Kenny: Oh this is great news you'll be staying another year!?

Liddy: f*** no, I ******* quit.

Kenny's dream summer acquisitions will stat with the fall of Lidstrom retiring and continue without signing anyone of importance or players that are over the age of 35.

buttheadslap.gif

This is what Ken Holland gets for having no Plan B in place for when Nick ever decided to call it quits. Even IF they sign Suter...they still need another 2 or 3 top notch D-Men that are nowhere to be found. People like Kindl, Ericsson, & Quincey sure as hell aren't gonna improve any to get the job done...ugh...and people thought our D-Core looked awful last year?...just wait.

Why all this doom and gloom? Sure, it'll be tough to transition, but it's manageable. Kronwall is still here, Smith looked fantastic, Ericsson improved by leaps and bounds last year. Add Suter, and that's a better D-corps than most other teams can ice.

First off, one of the greatest human beings to ever play the game, thanks Nick for all the memories you've given us over the years!

How does losing lidstrom and signing suter make us so much more terrible... Believe it or not but suter is an upgrade to lidstrom

So wait....Lidstrom retires and Stuart waddles off to southern California later this summer. Holmstrom decides to follow Nick off into the sunset.

I can see it now....Hudler re-ups for a hefty raise, Hasek gets a 1 year $2m deal, we pass on Suter and Parise because they want too much money. On the plus side, now Holland can ink Lebda and Meech during free agency!

If true, how lucky have I been? Yzerman...Fedorov...Lidstrom...now Datsyuk...no other fan of ANY team can even come close to that in this era!

...Crosby who?

All the "secondary" players, too- Chelios, Probert, everyone on the Grind Line, Hull, Hasek, CuJo, Lucky Luc, Shanahan, Schneider, Holmstrom, Zetterberg... It's good to be a Wings fan.

Well holy s***, I can't see this being false so....This is where I was the day I heard Lidstrom was retiring. Hats off to you Nick Lidstrom, you've been in my life since I was ten and will never forget what you brought to this organization. I love you. 13dangledangle

So wait....Lidstrom retires and Stuart waddles off to southern California later this summer. Holmstrom decides to follow Nick off into the sunset.

I can see it now....Hudler re-ups for a hefty raise, Hasek gets a 1 year $2m deal, we pass on Suter and Parise because they want too much money. On the plus side, now Holland can ink Lebda and Meech during free agency!

This joke(post) went over like a fart in church...

Why all this doom and gloom? Sure, it'll be tough to transition, but it's manageable. Kronwall is still here, Smith looked fantastic, Ericsson improved by leaps and bounds last year. Add Suter, and that's a better D-corps than most other teams can ice.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, just moreso frustration that in my opinion, we'll have to sit through another rough year next season of subpar defense. I just don't trust the likes of Ericsson, Kindl, & Quincey to not still have 30 or so mental breakdowns a night sadly...

How does losing lidstrom and signing suter make us so much more terrible... Believe it or not but suter is an upgrade to lidstrom

Cause I've seen how Suter can be..he feeds off of Weber...both Weber & Suter have made each other what they are. Suter is in no position to just come and assume the role of top d-man anywhere right now...but that's just my take..we need at least 2 more FA defensemen to help us...but nobody is out there sadly.