• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Nick Lidstrom retires after 20 seasons

Rate this topic

They just mentioned the press conference on the Detroit/Boston baseball game and said it looks like he's retiring. Oh, gawd.sad.gif

Yeah, in case you or anyone else didn't know, it's 99% sure that he's retiring tomorrow.

Haven't been on LGW all day.

Not surprised that he's retiring, but am surprised that he picked this day to do it, with the Cup Finals kicking off and all.

In any case, it sucks that he's gone. He could have still played several years at a good level. It's a shame Holland did s*** to improve this team last season and that his final year ended in a first round playoff exit.

He's the best hockey player I ever got to see in his prime and the best I ever will see.

speaking of retiring, I sure wish Sergei would sign a one day contract with the Wings so he can retire in the uniform he rightly belongs in! Of course with today's news, it may seem like he may be jumping on the coattails of Nick a bit and I am sure he'd hate to steal any thunder, but maybe he could do it sometime during the season...Nick/Homer/Sergei all "retiring" at once...certain HOF's? Well, not Holmstrom but definitely a helluva retirement class!

Not surprised that he's retiring, but am surprised that he picked this day to do it, with the Cup Finals kicking off and all.

In any case, it sucks that he's gone. He could have still played several years at a good level. It's a shame Holland did s*** to improve this team last season and that his final year ended in a first round playoff exit.

He's the best hockey player I ever got to see in his prime and the best I ever will see.

That's a bold statement (and not just because I bolded it) considering that we have all seen Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan play for the Red Wings in their primes as well...great company for sure! Most consistent? Iron Man? Absolutely!

That's a bold statement (and not just because I bolded it) considering that we have all seen Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan play for the Red Wings in their primes as well...great company for sure! Most consistent? Iron Man? Absolutely!

I never got to see Yzerman in his late 80's early 90's days.

Even if I did, I still have Lidstrom ranked above Yzerman all time.

he still looks good at 42clap.gif

Alas, if only I could look half as good at 42...maybe its because I am not super human?

I never got to see Yzerman in his late 80's early 90's days.

Even if I did, I still have Lidstrom ranked above Yzerman all time.

That sure would be a toss up! When Yzerman was scoring 60 goals and getting MVP votes, he sure seemed unstoppable...like I said, great company! In their primes, all four were HOF's in the making!

I have mixed emotions of both sadness and anger.

Sad to see who in my mind is the greatest defenseman in NHL history, someone who I grew up watching, retire.

Angry to see him go out the way he did. Holland brought him back, just to stand pat and not improve the team around whatsoever around him. In exchange, we get just about shut out in the first round. He deserved a better way to go out......

He deserved a better fate.

Alas, if only I could look half as good at 42...maybe its because I am not super human?

That sure would be a toss up! When Yzerman was scoring 60 goals and getting MVP votes, he sure seemed unstoppable...like I said, great company! In their primes, all four were HOF's in the making!

Lidstrom is the second best defenseman ever behind Orr. No way you can honestly say Yzerman is a top 5 all time forward.

Also, Lidstrom's longevity puts him above Yzerman. Stevie was a solid player in his late 30's, but injuries eventually took their toll. Lidstrom was an All-Star caliber player all the way to the end. I mean, the guy won all his Norris trophies after age 30!

I have mixed emotions of both sadness and anger.

Sad to see who in my mind is the greatest defenseman in NHL history, someone who I grew up watching, retire.

Angry to see him go out the way he did. Holland brought him back, just to stand pat and not improve the team around whatsoever around him. In exchange, we get just about shut out in the first round. He deserved a better way to go out......

He deserved a better fate.

For that, Holland deserves......

guillotine.jpg

It makes perfect sense to make his decision just before the Wings brass meeting to give them enough time to discuss the team's future which is another prove what class act Nick is.

...and besides there are no games tomorrow :P

Lidstrom is the second best defenseman ever behind Orr. No way you can honestly say Yzerman is a top 5 all time forward.

Also, Lidstrom's longevity puts him above Yzerman. Stevie was a solid player in his late 30's, but injuries eventually took their toll. Lidstrom was an All-Star caliber player all the way to the end. I mean, the guy won all his Norris trophies after age 30!

For that, Holland deserves......

guillotine.jpg

he might be going to sign ryan suter for ya'll guys and you wanna behead him,wait to see what happens in offseason,before taken unnnecessary action

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState

This is the first day in God knows how long that I've missed LGW in my rounds and haven't spent much time on Twitter and this is what happens.

He knows that he's ready and no one should contest it.

I'm absolutely elated that me and my wife got to see him play in person at The Joe this seasons home opener. Just sad that he won't be playing in the Winter Classic next season.