3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

[quote name='LeftWinger' timestamp='1338423091' post='2304017']
[img]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6664/ngbbs4ec9d8a56fe3a.jpg[/img]

One for the ladies!
[/quote]

he still looks good at 42[img]http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img]

#162 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

[quote name='GMRwings1983' timestamp='1338424050' post='2304025']
Haven't been on LGW all day.

Not surprised that he's retiring, but am surprised that he picked this day to do it, with the Cup Finals kicking off and all.

In any case, it sucks that he's gone. He could have still played several years at a good level. It's a shame Holland did s*** to improve this team last season and that his final year ended in a first round playoff exit.

[i][b]He's the best hockey player I ever got to see in his prime and the best I ever will see.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

That's a bold statement (and not just because I bolded it) considering that we have all seen Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan play for the Red Wings in their primes as well...great company for sure! Most consistent? Iron Man? Absolutely!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#163 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

[quote name='LeftWinger' timestamp='1338424591' post='2304035']
That's a bold statement (and not just because I bolded it) considering that we have all seen Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan play for the Red Wings in their primes as well...great company for sure! Most consistent? Iron Man? Absolutely!
[/quote]

I never got to see Yzerman in his late 80's early 90's days.

Even if I did, I still have Lidstrom ranked above Yzerman all time.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#164 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

[quote name='PredsFanTheBayouState' timestamp='1338424446' post='2304031']
he still looks good at 42[img]http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Alas, if only I could look half as good at 42...maybe its because I am not super human?

[quote name='GMRwings1983' timestamp='1338424658' post='2304036']
I never got to see Yzerman in his late 80's early 90's days.

Even if I did, I still have Lidstrom ranked above Yzerman all time.
[/quote]
That sure would be a toss up! When Yzerman was scoring 60 goals and getting MVP votes, he sure seemed unstoppable...like I said, great company! In their primes, all four were HOF's in the making!

www.thinkdunes.com

#165 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

I have mixed emotions of both sadness and anger.

Sad to see who in my mind is the greatest defenseman in NHL history, someone who I grew up watching, retire.

Angry to see him go out the way he did. Holland brought him back, just to stand pat and not improve the team around whatsoever around him. In exchange, we get just about shut out in the first round. He deserved a better way to go out......

He deserved a better fate.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#166 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

[quote name='LeftWinger' timestamp='1338424929' post='2304038']
Alas, if only I could look half as good at 42...maybe its because I am not super human?

That sure would be a toss up! When Yzerman was scoring 60 goals and getting MVP votes, he sure seemed unstoppable...like I said, great company! In their primes, all four were HOF's in the making!
[/quote]

Lidstrom is the second best defenseman ever behind Orr. No way you can honestly say Yzerman is a top 5 all time forward.

Also, Lidstrom's longevity puts him above Yzerman. Stevie was a solid player in his late 30's, but injuries eventually took their toll. Lidstrom was an All-Star caliber player all the way to the end. I mean, the guy won all his Norris trophies after age 30!

[quote name='ShanahanMan' timestamp='1338425015' post='2304041']

Sad to see who in my mind is the greatest defenseman in NHL history, someone who I grew up watching, retire.

Angry to see him go out the way he did. Holland brought him back, just to stand pat and not improve the team around whatsoever around him. In exchange, we get just about shut out in the first round. He deserved a better way to go out......

[/quote]

For that, Holland deserves......

[img]http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/guillotine.jpg[/img]

#167 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

[quote name='GMRwings1983' timestamp='1338424050' post='2304025']
Haven't been on LGW all day.

Not surprised that he's retiring, but am surprised that he picked this day to do it, with the Cup Finals kicking off and all.

[/quote]

It makes perfect sense to make his decision just before the Wings brass meeting to give them enough time to discuss the team's future which is another prove what class act Nick is.

...and besides there are no games tomorrow :P

#168 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

[quote name='GMRwings1983' timestamp='1338425139' post='2304042']
Lidstrom is the second best defenseman ever behind Orr. No way you can honestly say Yzerman is a top 5 all time forward.

Also, Lidstrom's longevity puts him above Yzerman. Stevie was a solid player in his late 30's, but injuries eventually took their toll. Lidstrom was an All-Star caliber player all the way to the end. I mean, the guy won all his Norris trophies after age 30!

For that, Holland deserves......

[img]http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/guillotine.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

he might be going to sign ryan suter for ya'll guys and you wanna behead him,wait to see what happens in offseason,before taken unnnecessary action

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState, 30 May 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#169 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Please say it isn't so ... so sad. End of an era.

#170 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Soon as I heard about this I cried. Kinda knew it was coming but still hard to deal with.

It was an honor watching and rooting on the best defensman to ever play the game. A Red Wing always and forever. Thank you, Nick!!
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#171 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Wayne Gretzky's reaction to Lids' retirement: [url="http://video.nhl.com...id=179737"]Link[/url]

#172 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Well this just ruined my year...
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#173 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

We all knew this was coming. I love you, Nick.

#174 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Sad, sad day in hockeytown tomorrow. Nick you will be missed greatly. One of my favourites of all time. So much talent, so much intelligence, but most of all so much class. He's a better person than he is a hockey player and that says a lot. Thank you Nick for everything

#175 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hey, did I just see Ashton Kutcher lurking around? You all been punk'd!

www.thinkdunes.com

#176 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

This is the first day in God knows how long that I've missed LGW in my rounds and haven't spent much time on Twitter and this is what happens.

He knows that he's ready and no one should contest it.

I'm absolutely elated that me and my wife got to see him play in person at The Joe this seasons home opener. Just sad that he won't be playing in the Winter Classic next season.

#177 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Shocking to me. The signs all pointed to returning. I wonder if this is him not having faith in the team next season? It seemed like they could make a run for the Cup if he returned and be competitive, guaranteed.

At any rate, good luck to him when he returns to Sweden and all his future endeavors. The greatest defenseman to play the game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#178 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

I come home tired from working hard on my first day on the job. After reading this it made me completely forget about how tired I was. An emotional roller coaster from feeling sad about the retirement but at the same time happy thinking back and about how lucky we've been to have Lidstrom and being able to have watched him since I was a little boy up till now. Thanks for all the great memories, Lids! Please stay in the Red Wings organization!

#179 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

[quote name='ShanahanMan' timestamp='1338425015' post='2304041']

[/quote]

Yeah, Stevie did too. He was out in the first round on the road as well. Makes you wonder if Holland is second guessing himself now for not doing more at the deadline.

#180 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

[quote name='VM1138' timestamp='1338428736' post='2304067']
Shocking to me. The signs all pointed to returning. [b]I wonder if this is him not having faith in the team next season?[/b] It seemed like they could make a run for the Cup if he returned and be competitive, guaranteed.

At any rate, good luck to him when he returns to Sweden and all his future endeavors. The greatest defenseman to play the game.
[/quote]

That and the fact that he was injured late in the year and didn't look the same afterwards. It's like he wasn't immune to that stuff anymore and knew it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users