Thank you #5

Rate this topic

What else needs to be said:

7-time Norris Trophy winner

4-time Cup Champ

Conn Smythe Trophy

12-time All Star

Gold Medal Winner

Thank you Nick for everything you have brought to this organization, this state and Detroit in general! You will always be a legend and you will definitely be missed... Love you #5! Good Luck in Retirement!

Guest Hatethedrake!

Thanks Nick for an amazing career and being a huge part of the Red Wings winning 4 Cups. You will be sorely missed and no one can replace you. Great player, great leader, great role model. The definition of class. It has been an absolute joy watching your entire hockey career. Here's to #5, one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game. :thumbup:

Nick,

I don't care what anyone says, you will always be the best defenseman ever. No one else has been able to play so well for so long. You managed to make the opposition look foolish night in and night out with ease. Thank you for being such an amazing player and outstanding role model. Personally have tried to emulate your leadership, class, humility, and poise. I've even asked myself WWND? I know I speak for all of Hockeytown when I say we love you very much and will greatly miss you. Some called you The Perfect Human, others called you Lidstrom, but to me you'll always just be Nick. Thank you for making the Red Wings the best organization there is. May God bless you and your family in the future.

Love,

Me

P.S. You are not allowed to go back to Sweden until I have met you.

Every memory I have growing up as a kid watching hockey has Nick in it, he's been an inspiration and a hero to so many of us and we had the honor and pleasure to witness the development of who became one of the greatest Defensemen to ever play the game. He had heart, drive, and was a large part of all these cup victories we were able to witness. You will me missed SO much Nick, thanks for everything, all the sacrifices, and remaining one of the classiest and well respected players in the NHL.

I posted this in the presser thread so Im pating here too...

...."This is where I was the day I heard Lidstrom was retiring. Hats off to you Nick Lidstrom, you've been in my life since I was ten and will never forget what you brought to this organization. I love you." 13dangledangle

I have been a fan for each and every one of the seasons you played for our beloved wings. There will never be another #5. Thank you for every ounce of effort you gave every single shift. Enjoy your retirement ,you have more than earned it.clap.gifbeerchug.gif

Hockey as a whole will suffer without you. You have been the backbone of the franchise for 20 years and it is impossible to replace your presence. I promise to regale the next generation with tales of the great Lidstrom who used to patrol our blueline and measure every future defenseman against your example. Best of luck in the future, I hope to see you behind the bench someday.

Thank you for the passion and the class. Thank you for the memories, and for being reliable when few in my life were. Thank you for sharing such an amazing career with the best fans hockey has to offer, and I will look up into the rafters with pride knowing that I was able to experience your gift to my favorite sport.

tumblr_m371xc23QP1qb4rpho1_1280.jpg

Thank you to Lids of course, but this news just ruined my year. He shouldn't have to go out losing in an enemy arena... :ranting: and I though he was going to beat Orr's Norris total too... :closedeyes:

I didnt get to watch Orr play and not to take anything away from his 8 Norris trophies but Lids has won all of his in a 25-30 team league..I don't see how they even compare.

Going to post this again just because it means so much and I know you all have a moment like this because of Nick>

Unforgettable moment:

At the United Center in 1996 with my HS sweetheart during my sophmore year in college, Wings are down by one with 5 seconds left, Nick rips a slapper from the top of the circles; DING goal!

Wings win in OT.

Thanks for the memories Nick, you are forever engrained in my memory.

Thank you!

Thankyou indeed. For your calmness, your proffesionalism, for bringing the same game night after night after night after night. For never getting injured, and then playing when you were injured. For your outlet pass, for your heads-up slapshot, for your ability to keep the puck in at the blue line better than anyone. For burying the Cherryism that no European captain would ever lift the Stanley Cup. For your arrival which directly coincided with our rise to success, for your departure which now bookmarks what all future generations of Redwings fans will call "The Lidstrom Era".

Thankyou for it all.

:champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: