• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

cant believe hes really hung them up, i love you Nick. what can we wings fans even say, all of us cant express our gratitude towards you, iam very glad and blessed that me and my sister made the trip to Detroit from vancouver canada for the hockeytown meet n great last fall in november and got to meet you, still remember my hands shaking aas i shook your hand, and u laughingly said "wow you flew from vancouver for this?, why arent you a canucks fan" and i said please dont insult my Nick and we both had a little laught about it, its almost as you can see a halo around nicks head thats how damn good that man is and perfect he is on and off the ice its just un real .. gonna miss you nick but im sure we'll see you at the joe at games here and there, your forever #5 on the ice and forever #1 in our hearts ... thank you isnt good enough but like i said cant express my gratitude towards you its impossible.. enjoy your life sir! you sir are the greatest dman to ever lace em up

#42 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Everybody talks about the class of the Red Wings' organization. You, Nick, were the personification of that. You made us all look so good with your quiet intensity, your perspective, your obvious love of the game and your superb talent.

I'll never forget the time I met you in Chicago. There you were, with Mathieu Schneider and Brett Hull walking through a downtown mall. We'd flown in from Texas to watch you play that night. There I was in my Red Wings' sweatshirt with absolutely no paper to get autographs. I just kind of stood there watching you walk by, as I groaned out loud. You turned back, smiled, and said "No paper, huh?" And then of course you walked on with Schneider and Hull. I was beside myself. We wandered around listlessly for a few minutes and then decided to hit Bloomingdales. There you were - the three of you in the men's outerwear department, looking at scarves, gloves and hats. So I literally begged for some scratch paper from the saleslady, while you patiently waited and all three of you signed. And even though I felt like I was looking into the face of God, I managed to ask you if there was a holdout (it was about 3-4 years ago?) were you planning on coming back? And you just smiled and said "We'll just have to wait and see".

I feel so blessed that out of all the Red Wings I've loved and watched since '94, you were one of the three I got to meet in person. And one of my all-time favorites. Thank you, thank you, THANK you. For everything. But especially for the kind of memories that will be with me till the day I leave this earth. :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.