• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

10 years ago today (well, yesterday)

Rate this topic

I still remember watching this game at home, back when I still lived in Kansas City. Earlier was the last day of 7th grade for me and I was both excited and nervous...I couldn't believe that we scored so early. When Feds scored, I remember my fork flying through the air as me and my Dad were both eating on TV trays while watching the game on the big screen.

I still remember watching this game at home, back when I still lived in Kansas City. Earlier was the last day of 7th grade for me and I was both excited and nervous...I couldn't believe that we scored so early. When Feds scored, I remember my fork flying through the air as me and my Dad were both eating on TV trays while watching the game on the big screen.

I missed about this entire season and playoffs in 2001-2002 because I was active military and mobilized at the time. I didn't get an opportunity to see any of this until early 2003, I was literally following hockey through newspaper clippings and stats that my brother would mail me. It still doesn't take away from the fact that at this point i've probably seen this game a dozen times and still remains as one of my favorites.

I'll always remember that day. I had a little league baseball game. I believe I was 12. My dad brought this old school TV into the car and would honk every time the Wings scored and my whole team would start cheering especially because the honking was so frequent. I can't remember a damn thing about the baseball game I played but I don't think anyone can. I still have the newspaper from the next day at my home. What a game.

It is hard to believe it's been a decade, but it's still sweet. Watching Waahhhh get chased from the arena where Dom was in goal should have erased any and all doubts as to who was supreme in the nets.

wahripieph.jpg

It is hard to believe it's been a decade, but it's still sweet. Watching Waahhhh get chased from the arena where Dom was in goal should have erased any and all doubts as to who was supreme in the nets.

wahripieph.jpg

$45 for 12 beers at a hockey game? God damn, these days it would cost you three times that much

I remember it well. I was on vacation for games 4-7 of that series, in California and then on a cruise through western Mexico. We were at Disneyland for game 4 (I wore my Hull jersey), on the ship for games 5 & 6. I had to spend ridiculous amounts of money for the 3 minutes of internet time just to check the scores for games 5 & 6. (I'm not kidding, it was like a total of $40 for maybe 6-10 minutes total internet time.)

Game 7 was the day of debarkation from the ship. My family left the ship, and we went to the J Paul Getty Museum in the early afternoon. As we left the museum, we listened to the local ESPN radio (who were covering the Lakers in their series, of course) waiting for their score updates every half hour. I was thinking that this game would be the most intense, gut wrenching, tight defense kind of game that we'd ever seen. I was incredibly surprised to find that the score was 1-0 on the Wings first shot of the game. The next time the score update came on, it was 2-0 Wings.

By the time we got to where we were staying at (about an hour drive), it was 4-0. I was on cloud 9.

Ten years. Man, where did the time go.

By the way, I can't be the only one who misses Gary Thorne & Bill Clement (Clement, hands of cement) calling games.

By the way, I can't be the only one who misses Gary Thorne & Bill Clement (Clement, hands of cement) calling games.

I miss them both... I was just saying the other night how much I miss Gary Thorne, in particular. I was in a minority of fans who didn't mind ESPN coverage of hockey. Especially since it was all we could get here, broadcast wise.

I will always remember this game as the one where I almost got alcohol poisoning. I had a group watching at Hockeytown Cafe. My brilliant idea before the game started was to do a shot for every Wings goal. Hilarity ensued, and many, many lemon drops. Had a Roy voodoo doll hanging from the TV cord and red and white push pins. A guy on the street was handing out the "Aure - Roy" papers after the game.

I remember it well. I was on vacation for games 4-7 of that series, in California and then on a cruise through western Mexico. We were at Disneyland for game 4 (I wore my Hull jersey), on the ship for games 5 & 6. I had to spend ridiculous amounts of money for the 3 minutes of internet time just to check the scores for games 5 & 6. (I'm not kidding, it was like a total of $40 for maybe 6-10 minutes total internet time.)

Game 7 was the day of debarkation from the ship. My family left the ship, and we went to the J Paul Getty Museum in the early afternoon. As we left the museum, we listened to the local ESPN radio (who were covering the Lakers in their series, of course) waiting for their score updates every half hour. I was thinking that this game would be the most intense, gut wrenching, tight defense kind of game that we'd ever seen. I was incredibly surprised to find that the score was 1-0 on the Wings first shot of the game. The next time the score update came on, it was 2-0 Wings.

By the time we got to where we were staying at (about an hour drive), it was 4-0. I was on cloud 9.

Ten years. Man, where did the time go.

Mostly the reason why I miss the ESPN hockey days, these two were the best combo hands down. I still hear blurbs of Gary here and there watching baseball highlights.

Guest irishock

Hughson+Craig Simpson

Doc+Pierre+Eddie

Got to be the most brutal five guys to ever listen to.

I will always remember this game as the one where I almost got alcohol poisoning. I had a group watching at Hockeytown Cafe. My brilliant idea before the game started was to do a shot for every Wings goal. Hilarity ensued, and many, many lemon drops. Had a Roy voodoo doll hanging from the TV cord and red and white push pins. A guy on the street was handing out the "Aure - Roy" papers after the game.

This was me in 2010 when we beasted the Sharks in Game 4...I still to this day refuse to look up the official final score because I blacked out about halfway through the second period. I think it was 7-1 though...and we kept doing any red shot we could.

I wish it was 10 years ago.

The Wings were great, gas was cheap, and I was young with long hair and no worries about the future.

Man, I am right there with ya brother. Long hair and all. If I am to assume your name is the year you were born, we are the same age. I can remember getting off work that evening and grabbing some dinner on the way home and turning on the little tv in the kitchen. I had to squint to make sure I wasn't seeing things but sure as s***, it was already 3-0. What a game.

This game had so much build-up. I remember feeling sick with anticipation before we played these guys even in the regular season, much less a game seven at the tail end of a back and forth rivalry. Once the game started and the first few goals snuck in, I think everyone just turned the night into a party. It was amazing.

Man, I am right there with ya brother. Long hair and all. If I am to assume your name is the year you were born, we are the same age. I can remember getting off work that evening and grabbing some dinner on the way home and turning on the little tv in the kitchen. I had to squint to make sure I wasn't seeing things but sure as s***, it was already 3-0. What a game.

It was the year I was born. I had just finished my first year in college.