No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pucktividi

Off -Season Game Plan:Detroit Red Wings

Rate this topic

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Quincey

Kindl-Smith

:puke: You thought last season had glaring holes in the D? If Holland is "OK" with that defense then I.....I don't know, it won't be pretty. To me the ONLY reason Quincey was worth our 1st round pick is the return of another 1st AND a 3rd when he leaves as a RFA. Not unless Holland really doesn't know how to make a trade and overpays and gets low-balled in return... so far he has overpaid for Quincey and got lowballed for Stuart. Let's just hope he does the right thing with Quincey...and that is NOT offer him anything higher than the qualifying offer that he HAS to offer him.

I am holding out hope Holland that you do what has to be done...You may not land Suter, but you cannot got with that lineup at D...you just cannot.

more parise buzz..

link

Lou Nanne said on The Sports Show that he's been told by Wild's highest authority that team will offer Parise more than any club in NHL.
Nanne: "Before last weekend, I didn't think Wild would be able to sign Zach. Now, I think they are going to get him.''

:puke: You thought last season had glaring holes in the D? If Holland is "OK" with that defense then I.....I don't know, it won't be pretty. To me the ONLY reason Quincey was worth our 1st round pick is the return of another 1st AND a 3rd when he leaves as a RFA. Not unless Holland really doesn't know how to make a trade and overpays and gets low-balled in return... so far he has overpaid for Quincey and got lowballed for Stuart. Let's just hope he does the right thing with Quincey...and that is NOT offer him anything higher than the qualifying offer that he HAS to offer him.

I am holding out hope Holland that you do what has to be done...You may not land Suter, but you cannot got with that lineup at D...you just cannot.

Low-balled?!? Stuart was on record saying he wanted to play in California and also mentioned that he would like to go back to San Jose if possible. San Jose didn't have to do anything, they could have just sat back until July 1st and more than likely would have gotten him. They did us a favor and we at least got a pick out of it.

You would very rarely see anything more be traded for a player's negotiating rights.

more parise buzz..

link

Well, let's hope that he isn't all about the money and wants to go to a competitor like Detroit... with his buddy Suter.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Kronwall-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Yikes. If you add Suter to that 6 then it is not so bad. But no Suter and this group is frightening! :unsure:

Low-balled?!? Stuart was on record saying he wanted to play in California and also mentioned that he would like to go back to San Jose if possible. San Jose didn't have to do anything, they could have just sat back until July 1st and more than likely would have gotten him. They did us a favor and we at least got a pick out of it.

You would very rarely see anything more be traded for a player's negotiating rights.

Well, let's hope that he isn't all about the money and wants to go to a competitor like Detroit... with his buddy Suter.

If Detroit doesn't sign Suter (which I don't think we will) then Detroit won't be much of a competitor at all. Below average defense and almost no goal tending depth with an aging offense. Doesn't sound very appealing to me if I'm Parise. Especially not if I can be making an extra million or so with an up and coming team that gives me a good chance to win for the next 7 years or however long my contract is for.

more parise buzz..

link

Well, problem with that is, Detroit has MORE money to sign him and even sign others to make his chances even better at winning, consistently! Of the 16 players the Wild have under conntract, 6 are on EL's. Rookies... Half of their D are rookies this season. You have Koivu singed for the next 7 years at $6.75, Backstrom is already at $6M and he is a UFA after this season, they will have to re-sign him and with the stupid Preds giving Rinne $7M, his salary will go up. You got Heatly at $7.5M for the next two years PM Bouchard is due up for a nice raise next year too or he will leave as UFA. Not to mention Lattendresse & Ortmeyer are FA's come July and are a big part of the chemistry up there. Now they are going to throw the MOST at Parise (which I figure is at least = to Crosby's $9M) and he is not going to sign a 1 year, he wants to end his career on his next contract, so he will be looking for 8-10 years. You also have CLutterbuck a RFA next season looking to get a raise as well. And then trying to make your D better than 3 rookies?! Does she think they are going to get SUter too? There goes $8M more. They have $21M to spend, but if they spend $17M-$18M (or more) on Parise and Suter who is gonna play for their team? Rookies?

My point is, Detroit already has their core signed, for a while. In essence all they have to do is spend the same $17M-$18M (if it takes that much) on Parise and Suter for the next 10 years and that is all they will need to do to stay "favorites" for the next 7-10 years. They still have $8M to spend this year to sew up Helm and Abby or at least 5 years and if they wanted to extend Filppula and Howard for the next 5-10, it isn't going to cost them $7M each I can tell you.

Minny may want to offer him more than any other team, but after in two years, they will be in a world of hurt, espcially if the Cap drops...Detroit can offer just as much, but in the same two years, they still have most of their best players STILL under contract...He either takes the Minny offer and is on a team full of rookies in a couple of years, or he signs with Detroit and has our lineup ALREADY signed for most if not all of his contract...Sure he may just want to money nad not care about winning...but given the fact that I still believe there is a cap to what the highest paid player gets on your team, Detroit can even match that if Minny wants to be pricks...I doubt Holland would, but he sure would love to screw Minny by driving the price up!

Most experts have said and agree, Detroit seems to be the best fit for BOTH Suter and Parise...this local lady is just talking crap...

If Detroit doesn't sign Suter (which I don't think we will) then Detroit won't be much of a competitor at all. Below average defense and almost no goal tending depth with an aging offense. Doesn't sound very appealing to me if I'm Parise. Especially not if I can be making an extra million or so with an up and coming team that gives me a good chance to win for the next 7 years or however long my contract is for.

Just who is this up and coming team? The Wild? They only have 16 players signed, 4 of which are rookies on EL contracts and 2 players who were rookies last season on D. They have to re-sign Latendresse now, Clutterbuck next year along with Backstrom, Bouchard and Cullen... If they throw $17M-$18M at Parise and Suter, how are they going to re-sign their core? I already went through this above, Detroit has MORE money to offer both Suter and Parise and already has their core signed for a long time...other than Filppula and Datsyuk (who aren't going anywhere (unless Flip is traded)) This team is set for the next 5-10 years...Helm and Abby will cost very little in comparison to Lattendresse and Clutterbuck...and Howard will cost a TON less than its gonna cost to re-sign Backstrom...

Well, problem with that is, Detroit has MORE money to sign him and even sign others to make his chances even better at winning, consistently! Of the 16 players the Wild have under conntract, 6 are on EL's. Rookies... Half of their D are rookies this season. You have Koivu singed for the next 7 years at $6.75, Backstrom is already at $6M and he is a UFA after this season, they will have to re-sign him and with the stupid Preds giving Rinne $7M, his salary will go up. You got Heatly at $7.5M for the next two years PM Bouchard is due up for a nice raise next year too or he will leave as UFA. Not to mention Lattendresse & Ortmeyer are FA's come July and are a big part of the chemistry up there. Now they are going to throw the MOST at Parise (which I figure is at least = to Crosby's $9M) and he is not going to sign a 1 year, he wants to end his career on his next contract, so he will be looking for 8-10 years. You also have CLutterbuck a RFA next season looking to get a raise as well. And then trying to make your D better than 3 rookies?! Does she think they are going to get SUter too? There goes $8M more. They have $21M to spend, but if they spend $17M-$18M (or more) on Parise and Suter who is gonna play for their team? Rookies?

My point is, Detroit already has their core signed, for a while. In essence all they have to do is spend the same $17M-$18M (if it takes that much) on Parise and Suter for the next 10 years and that is all they will need to do to stay "favorites" for the next 7-10 years. They still have $8M to spend this year to sew up Helm and Abby or at least 5 years and if they wanted to extend Filppula and Howard for the next 5-10, it isn't going to cost them $7M each I can tell you.

Minny may want to offer him more than any other team, but after in two years, they will be in a world of hurt, espcially if the Cap drops...Detroit can offer just as much, but in the same two years, they still have most of their best players STILL under contract...He either takes the Minny offer and is on a team full of rookies in a couple of years, or he signs with Detroit and has our lineup ALREADY signed for most if not all of his contract...Sure he may just want to money nad not care about winning...but given the fact that I still believe there is a cap to what the highest paid player gets on your team, Detroit can even match that if Minny wants to be pricks...I doubt Holland would, but he sure would love to screw Minny by driving the price up!

Most experts have said and agree, Detroit seems to be the best fit for BOTH Suter and Parise...this local lady is just talking crap...

You are seriously misinformed. First of all, this was reported by a MAN as a direct quote from the owner of the Minnesota Wild. I trust that he knows how much they will spend since it's his money.

Backstrom will not be resigned because they have 3 very good goalie prospects, one of which is Matt Hackett who performed extremely well during his stint with the Wild this year. He might even be traded if a team is desperate enough. Heatley will not be resigned and if he is it will be at a serious discount from what he is earning now. Latendresse probably won't be signed this year as an RFA and Ortmeyer is a career AHL'er and always will be. To say he is "an important part of the chemistry" is beyond stupid, I'm sorry.

Also, if Parise does want to sign long-term, Minnesota makes more sense than Detroit. They have the #2 ranked prospect pool, cap money now and in the future, a very smart GM and an owner willing to spend more than Holland ever will. Detroit has an aging, declining core of players and fairly average prospects with no viable replacements on the horizon AND no Lidstrom anymore. So if he and or Suter want to go and be a low seed playoff team for a couple years and then have a huge drop off when Datsyuk and company leave/don't produce anymore then maybe they want to come play here.

I've said this on here a million times but I'll say it again, Detroit needs to start thinking about a rebuild. Do it now so that it's not such a long, tough transition in a few years.

Edited by centcougar07

Plan A should be obvious but if it fails I am very interested in how Plan B will look.

My priorities would be:

- getting much tougher to play against and become a Babcock team again, which is a mixture between skill and toughness

- sacrifise a bit of puck posession for better defense without our captain

Guys that should be targeted and are a bit under the radar:

Konopka, Neil, Prust, Scott and maybe a guy like Moen.

You are seriously misinformed. First of all, this was reported by a MAN as a direct quote from the owner of the Minnesota Wild. I trust that he knows how much they will spend since it's his money.

Backstrom will not be resigned because they have 3 very good goalie prospects, one of which is Matt Hackett who performed extremely well during his stint with the Wild this year. He might even be traded if a team is desperate enough. Heatley will not be resigned and if he is it will be at a serious discount from what he is earning now. Latendresse probably won't be signed this year as an RFA and Ortmeyer is a career AHL'er and always will be. To say he is "an important part of the chemistry" is beyond stupid, I'm sorry.

Also, if Parise does want to sign long-term, Minnesota makes more sense than Detroit. They have the #2 ranked prospect pool, cap money now and in the future, a very smart GM and an owner willing to spend more than Holland ever will. Detroit has an aging, declining core of players and fairly average prospects with no viable replacements on the horizon AND no Lidstrom anymore. So if he and or Suter want to go and be a low seed playoff team for a couple years and then have a huge drop off when Datsyuk and company leave/don't produce anymore then maybe they want to come play here.

I've said this on here a million times but I'll say it again, Detroit needs to start thinking about a rebuild. Do it now so that it's not such a long, tough transition in a few years.

Listen, don't neg me because nobody agrees with you...First of all, I saw the name Nanne, so I thought it was a female, second of all prospect pools mean nothing when you compare it to a perennial playoff team and serious threat to contend for the Cup every year... So explain it to me again, you would put Minnesota's chances at winning a Cup better with their prospects than winning in Detroit with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Franzen, Cleary, Helm, Abdelkader all of whom are Stanley Cup Champions already and have a ton of playoff experience? Even long term, his chances of winning more than once is with Detroit and not because of their prospect pool, but because of their NHL team...

...You need to stop posting on a Red Wings board claiming to be a Wings fan and start posting here as a Wild fan.

You can have all your prospects dude, Minnesota MAY luck out and might, MIGHT win A Cup in the next ten years, but I doubt it and they will also have the years where they don't make the playoffs, and who will be there every year? Yep, and with Detroit's NHL ready team and if they add Suter & Parise, Detroit can realistically win 3 Cups in that same decade and be in the playoffs every year and be a serious threat (get deep into the playoffs) at least 7 of those years... Come talk to us when Minnesota is a threat to make it to the playoffs EVERY year and actually makes it out of the first round more than one time in 11 years...BTW, your prospect pool don't look too good so far, ever since 07's 104 pts they have declined in points every year getting a whopping 81 last season in a point friendly NHL none the less...

...LA just proved how a low seeded playoff team can get on a run...I am willing to bet Parise would rather be a low seeded playoff team every year than not make the playoffs at all, like your team hasn't in 4 years, my God they have 3 playoff appearances in 11 years, ya that is attractive and incentive to sign somewhere where he can consistently make a run at the Cup...If Parise signs here, he will win a Cup, if he signs in Minnesota, he will not...I am not saying he would never sign there but If he signs in Minny, simply put, he is an idiot...I can name at least 10 other teams he could go to a win a Cup before he would in Minnesota...

Get over yourself...#2 prospect pool...WTF!?!? So pretty much you are saying the Houston Aeros can beat the Grand Rapids Griffins...Super!

And oh BTW, Holland and Ilitch have said numerous times that they will pay "whatever it takes" to win Cups...An owner is not gonna come out and say he isn't gonna spend money, so I don't care what the owner of the Wild says, he can only offer him so much anyway and if he offers him Crosby type money, then you can kiss the NHL goodbye because that will inflate salaries so much that you'll have Drew Miller's of the NHL making $5M a year soon! Besides it's no secret, the Wings have more money to spend now you cannot look to the future because you don't who is going to get how much down the road, you are misinformed there, have some common sense...

Edited by LeftWinger

You are seriously misinformed. First of all, this was reported by a MAN as a direct quote from the owner of the Minnesota Wild. I trust that he knows how much they will spend since it's his money. ...

I'd be surprised if that was really a quote from anyone in the Minnesota organization. That would be tampering and could result in Minnesota actually being prohibited from signing Parise, as well as forfeiting draft picks and/or a fine up to $5M.

In fact, if I was a GM right now, I'd already be writing up a complaint to the league, just to force someone from Minnesota to come out and deny they ever said it.

And regardless what you think of Detroit's future, they do have nearly two decades history of icing a competetive team. Minnesota has 11 years of nothing, showing they don't really know how to build or maintain a team. And every ranking I've seen has the Wings' prospect pool rated higher than the Wild's. Granlund may be a "can't miss", but it seems they don't have much beyond him. Players like Parise and Suter aren't going to look for a team that will win for them. They know they will be key players in the plans of any team. Add them to the Wings and it solves most of the issues you think the Wings have.

I know if I was Parise and worried about the future, I'd take a team that may, if our prospects don't work out, have to rebuild over a team that is already worse and in 10+ years still hasn't actually built anything in the first place. He goes to Minnesota he'll likely be traded in two years when they start their re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-build.

BTW cougartown, Hockey's Future ranks Detroit's prospects at #15 and Minnesota's at #17...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/team-rankings-2011-2012/3/

So I guess the Griffins are going to beat the Aero's afterall....do us a favor, stop trying to convince us that you are knowledgeable, just come here and post like a fan, don't pretend you are an NHL insider, it'll suit you better...If you think that the prospects pool is going to be a deciding factor in him signing a long term contract, you may as well start buying you #9 Parise Panthers Jersey because REAL experts say that they have the #1 prospect pool in the NHL and oh they have even more cap space than Detroit, maybe Parise/Suter will go there...prospect pool...jack wagon.

Guest Hatethedrake!

cougar is like the Wizard of Oz. All kinds of noise but when you pull back the curtain all you have is a puff of smoke. Opinions are not facts. Never have been. Never will be.

more parise buzz, not a whole lot of content though

@SI_PeterKing

My guess on Parise's 2012-'13 team tote board: 1 Detroit, 2 Toronto, 3 Rangers, 4 Minnesota, 5 Boston.

more parise buzz, not a whole lot of content though

@SI_PeterKing

No way he goes to Toronto if he ever wants to win anything. He's looking for a long-term home and he's less likely to want to take on a reclamation project because of it. It wastes too much time as he's entering his prime. I'd say he'd have to narrow it down to Detroit and the Rangers if he wants to win for years to come but still be able to say he was "the final piece" for those teams, so to speak. Minnesota is a dark horse just because of his personal connections.

I still don't see how he goes anywhere other than Detroit, though IF he leaves New Jersey as previously planned. A deep cup run can change minds.

Malik Report

Money is not the issue. The Red Wings have plenty of salary-cap space and Holmstrom likely would return for less than the $1.5 million he earned in 2011-12. The main issue is whether the Red Wings will have a spot for Holmstrom on their 23-man roster after the dust settles from free agency. They have 18 players signed for a salary-cap hit of $44 million, including Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist, who the club intends to keep on the NHL roster but who still have minor-league options.

After they sign restricted free agents Kyle Quincey, Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader, they will have 13 forwards, six defensemen and two goaltenders. That leaves two open spots, one for a defenseman and one for a goal-scoring winger. If the Red Wings bring back Holmstrom, they would need to trim a forward or send Nyquist back to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Sounds like Homer will be done under these circumstances. Q, Helm, and Abby will all be signed ahead of Homer and Nyquist will be kept in Detroit instead of GR. So unless a forward gets traded for signing rights, Homer is gone.

This dream scenario (Parise, Suter) looks better every day.

edit: these are Kenny's words btw

Edited by Din758

PLEASE NO QUINCEY!!!! Take the draft picks! PLEASE!

I know he was less than impressive in the 20 or so games he played with Detroit, but assuming they didn't re-sign him then the Wings blueline right now is Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Smith, and Kindl. That's pretty scary.

Obviously he's going to be trying to sign d-men in the offseason, but that's a lot of bodies to replace if you throw in Q. I'd love an upgrade there, but I'm not expecting it.

I know he was less than impressive in the 20 or so games he played with Detroit, but assuming they didn't re-sign him then the Wings blueline right now is Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Smith, and Kindl. That's pretty scary.

Obviously he's going to be trying to sign d-men in the offseason, but that's a lot of bodies to replace if you throw in Q. I'd love an upgrade there, but I'm not expecting it.

Ok, let me rephrase that...If Suter signs here, then PLEASE NO QUINCEY...PLEASE! :lol: Take the draft picks!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Shane Doan ($4.000m)

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Blake Wheeler ($2.550m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Brandon Prust ($0.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Smoke Monster ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,262,500; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,037,500

Just bored is all.

Edited by Dabura

Personally I like Quincey. I don't understand all the hate on him. Give him a full year here and I think he'll do good.. We should definitely resign him IMO

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Shane Doan ($4.000m)

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Blake Wheeler ($2.550m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Brandon Prust ($0.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.250m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Smoke Monster ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,262,500; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,037,500

This is a ridiculous roster lol 1. No way we manage all those moves in one offseason. 2. NO to Shane doan. Not now, not never..