• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Diluvian04

NHL Salary Cap Temporarily Set At $70.3 Million For 2012

Rate this topic

This off-season is really going to be interesting with the potential cap room Kenny now has and given how it could be turned upside down given the CBA is expiring.

$26 million potentially for Kenny and Co. to spend.....that's a whole lot of Suter-Parise!

For funsies, anybody remember the salary that the '01-'02 Wings team carried? Remember that everyone said we "bought" the Stanley Cup that year (which, I'll admit, we pretty much did).

Around $65 million. Anyone here think the same caliber of team could be assembled for even the new estimate of the cap, at $70.3 mil?

This could potentially put Parise and Suter at 8 million per year each. This is why I'm curious to what Kenny is gonna do. To set this amount might mean that it may be around that after the new CBA is agreed upon. I wonder what the floor is.

Honestly I think they could set it at a bajillion dollars because it's fictional until they re-negotiate the new CBA.

If anything they probably want the highest, most optimistic projection for next year's cap so they can ratchet it down a bit in the new negotiations.

Same goes for scheduling the Winter Classic and NHL Preseason/Regular Season games for that matter.

The CBA is everything at this stage.

What a joke. Leave the damn cap alone. No wonder Ericcsons contract is so inflated. The asking price for s*** players is going to sky rocket and so is the price to get a super star.

Exactly whats to stop some team thats under the cap like last year to dole out 10+ million a year for Parise/Suter to get above the cap?

Exactly whats to stop some team thats under the cap like last year to dole out 10+ million a year for Parise/Suter to get above the cap?

Nothing, but keep in mind the fact that Parise and Suter just may not want to play for a bender team like the Blue Jackets or Oilers could make those offers irrelevant.

If Zach and Ryan re-sign with their teams, and we get neither...are we kind of screwed? Or do we have a good enough team to make some noise next year?

I don't think we would be screwed but picking up Suter and Parise would be best case scenario. It's an interesting question to bring up on what we would do if they are not available. Free agency has names such as Carle, Wideman, Semin, and Jones, but my guess is that Holland may have to make some trades. Yesterday on XM 92 There was an interview with Ken Holland where he said that they will be very active in free agency as well as exploring trade options as an alternative.

I would look at players like Tobias Enstrom, and Bobby Ryan as possible trades. Just naming a few that I would think would be good Red Wings. I know alot of people don't like Valenti on 97.1 but he mentioned getting Rick Nash and that it would take Nyquist, Filppula, and Brendan Smith to get him. Does anyone think that is a scenario that could work itself out putting division rival aside? I want to say its a fair trade but at the same time the potential for our guys is so great so it could be overpayment. To think of a Zetterberg Datsyuk Nash line would be crazy but risky with so much money tide up in the first line.

Guest blueadams

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Random Power Forward? ($2.500m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Tomas Vokoun ($1.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,024,962; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $275,038

Really pushing it to the limit with this lineup (cap-wise), but it's deep as can be - especially at the forward position. Pav, Z, Fil, and Helm down the middle is depth! Pav could break 100 points with these line-mates. I know Semin has his detractors, but if he was playing with Datsyuk and Parise, then he how could he not produce? Career season for all 3 if this lineup magically happens.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($1.750m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.500m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,292,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $57,955

Really pushing it to the limit with this lineup (cap-wise), but it's deep as can be - especially at the forward position. Pav, Z, Fil, and Helm down the middle is depth! Pav could break 100 points with these line-mates. I know Semin has his detractors, but if he was playing with Datsyuk and Parise, then he how could he not produce? Career season for all 3 if this lineup magically happens.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($1.750m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.500m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,292,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $57,955

To get Parise + Sutter @ 7 million would be a God send. Realistically I'm putting money on 8 million for each or slightly under.

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($2.000m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Brandon Prust ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Justin Schultz ($2.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.250m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,092,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,207,955

Keeping 4mill stashed for deadline or re-signing our guys next season.

To get Parise + Sutter @ 7 million would be a God send. Realistically I'm putting money on 8 million for each or slightly under.

Which is why it is far more important to sign a Schultz @ $1.5M and let Quincey walk @ $3.5M...I'd rather have Doan than Semin, but something tells me Semin wouldn't cost $6.5M either...at least I would hope not...