• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Tim Thomas.

Rate this topic

Makes sense, I thought you were saying Steve Yzerman as a player did that. Sorry about that. But yeah I guess he did since he signed old man Roloson.

Roloson did play about 50 games the year before Yzerman signed him though, so it's not an exact comparison

I'd consider the fan base also, going from cup champions to out in the first round. There's been issues with fans in Boston at Red Sox games in recent history, and it's known to be a city where sports fans are very Philly-like. Maybe he's received threats and is having issues with the fans, just because it isn't reported doesn't mean it's not happening. Considering the little known facts of the article, it could be a contributing factor if it isn't a step towards retirement or conflicts in his political standing and everything that happened.

he wants to finish he's career in detroit. that is his dream. not sure if it can/will come true. and maybe it's just better i not give source cause it's from a friend! unsure.gif

Yeah, everyone loved Tim Thomas until he expressed his opinion. It's amazing how petty people are.

The funny thing here is that it's a two way street on both side's....However he should have learned from the Dixie Chicks if you ask me....

I think the thing that sounds crappy is that his entire salary still counts towards the cap of the Bruins. I don't mind that he wants to sit out for the season, but he should at least retire or void his contract in some way. That way, the team can compete without taking the $5 hit to the cap. Just my .02 cents.

I don't think this is true. IIRC, Scott Niedermayer was technically under suspension by the Ducks when he sat out the first third of the 07-08 season, and his salary didn't count against the cap. If the B's do the same thing, I'm guessing Thomas' salary will also not count towards the cap.

Since Thomas signed his contract after turning 35 years old, if he actually retired, the Bruins would have to pay off the rest of his contract (or at least some percentage of it, I don't remember..). Sounds like this is a way for him to hang 'em up and not leave the team stranded.

I thought that if you signed after a certain age (as Comrade mentioned 35) retirement through anything other than injury meant that salary still had to be paid/counted against the cap as a way of stopping teams front loading contracts until players were like 50? Not too knowledgable of the salary cap and the CBA though so may well be wrong. Even buying out a contract still counts towards the cap doesn't it, just means that money is off their books in one lump sum and they can forget about it. Wondering if there is any way to void a contract as Nightfall said? (Sorry still not great with peoples actual names and their profile names.) Only way I can think of is if one or the other of the party breaks contract rules and they have a legal opportunity to terminate a contract. However still don't know how that will affect the CBA as it could still require them to pay towards the cap.

Very weird move by Thomas but quite simply, I think he doesn't really enjoy it much anymore. I gave up playing soccer because I simply lost interest in it, some of the time it happens. But then again soccer is rapidly falling apart so it was an easy decision :P

EDIT: Forgot to mention, with the Long-term IR, I wonder if a team could lobby on grounds of mental health? Has that ever been done before. I think with a lot of hockey players untimely deaths recently and some having suspicious circumstances surrounding them, that a team could put together a good case for a player needing time off such as this. Would have to be strictly enforced though to stop teams getting big contracts off their books.

Because Tim Thomas Inc. reserves the right to consider any contract signed by Tim Thomas Inc. null and void. Additionally, Tim Thomas Inc. never claimed to have strong bonds of affection for the city of Boston, teammates, or the employers for which Tim Thomas Inc. temporarily associated itself. Team play, hard work, and sacrifice have always been considered of secondary importance to Tim Thomas Inc. whose only true goal has been the promotion of Tim Thomas Inc. from relative obscurity to a household brand much the same as Coca Cola Inc. Further clarification concerning the decisions of Tim Thomas Inc. will be delivered via internal memo to the employees of Tim Thomas Inc., however the content of said memo should not be released to the public for any reason whatsoever.

Tim Thomas Inc. and its licensed publicist will release a statement to the public tomorrow via facebook to help clarify some common misconceptions about the intent of Tim Thomas Inc.

Further information can be obtained by visiting the website www.GIANTDOUCHEBAG.timthomas.org.

This is bullplop... Coca Cola has never been known as 'Coca Cola Inc.' but is traded as a public company under the name 'The Coca Cola Company'... Jeez get it right! :ph34r:

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Guest Shoreline

Yeah, everyone loved Tim Thomas until he expressed his opinion. It's amazing how petty people are.

People only mildly cared too until the media wouldn't shut up about it, which tells you how easily people derive their thoughts from what the media tells or portrays to them.

He is just playing the cards he was dealt. Thomas knows the Bruins are looking to trade him. His no movement clause of his contract expires on July 1st. Meaning that the Bruins could wait til it expires and trade him to Winnipeg or somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Thomas makes a statement saying he is going to sit out, the Bruins then are forced to handle him and he can now use his no trade clause and pick the teams he'd be willing to go to.

Thomas says it's because of his family, but it makes no sense if that is the only reason.

1338574550[/url]' post='2304607']

He would be crazy to sit out at his age... He is what either 38 or 39 I forget. If he sits a year out and trys to come back he'll be pushing 40 years old. What GM is going to want to sign a 40 year old goalie who has been sitting around for a full year?? Big mistake if he does that.

Promise? Can't stand the Prima Dona Ice Queen.

1338579968[/url]' post='2304640']

Is it just coincidence the amount of crap Timmy's gotten since making his political affiliation known? I think not.

esteef

When any media type makes public, polarizing, individual-type statements or takes action on same, they damn well should be ready to live with the consequences. No matter which end of the political spectrum they're on.

1338590822[/url]' post='2304688']

So he wants to sit out the season and have the team pick up his paycheck. Is it just me, or do the words, "You can't have it both ways" apply here?

Sorry. That minus was supposed to be a PLUS. dry.gif

Zero sense this makes.

As for the political dealie/skipping the White House celebration, I think it's a bit of a reach to see how these two specific things are connected. Happened months and months ago so I don't see why it is reason to be brought up when him possibly skipping out has probably little or nothing to do with politics/government.

And as for him skipping out, was his choice and his business. Don't really agree with it but I understand and respect his decision. All I'm going to say on that since I pretty much have given up talking politics in depth a long time ago.

Zero sense this makes.

As for the political dealie/skipping the White House celebration, I think it's a bit of a reach to see how these two specific things are connected. Happened months and months ago so I don't see why it is reason to be brought up when him possibly skipping out has probably little or nothing to do with politics/government.

And as for him skipping out, was his choice and his business. Don't really agree with it but I understand and respect his decision. All I'm going to say on that since I pretty much have given up talking politics in depth a long time ago.

But it's not just his business, he is making a selfish decision that could potentially affect the Bruins financially . Plus he signed a contract, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it's ok to break an agreement. That is a general statement for the mindset that seems to be common now. If you agreed to something hold up your end of it or make sure you make amends for not doing it and you better have a damn good reason too! I say if he wants the year off he should have to pay any penalty that the Bruin's might have to burden. And if he chooses to retire, I saw somewhere that the Bruins would still owe him money...he should have to forfeit it.

But it's not just his business, he is making a selfish decision that could potentially affect the Bruins financially . Plus he signed a contract, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it's ok to break an agreement. That is a general statement for the mindset that seems to be common now. If you agreed to something hold up your end of it or make sure you make amends for not doing it and you better have a damn good reason too! I say if he wants the year off he should have to pay any penalty that the Bruin's might have to burden. And if he chooses to retire, I saw somewhere that the Bruins would still owe him money...he should have to forfeit it.

Was talking about his decision to skip the White House event, I don't know why or what the reasons are or the $$$'s of him skipping out playing a year with his employer, we are talking about different things.

Is it just coincidence the amount of crap Timmy's gotten since making his political affiliation known? I think not.

It's not a coincidence because one caused the other but it also has nothing to do with his political affiliation.

Taking out the politics this is what he did: Made a controversial decision becoming a distraction for his team and justified his decision with public statements. He later refused to comment on these public statements, not helping the media distraction factor. Now he wants to sit out a season and it will cost the Bruins $5 million on the cap even if they suspend him (source) or send him to the AHL because of his contract.

So again, people aren't hating on him because of his politics, they are because he's a dick.

EDIT: as the original source says they Bruins will have the choice of "tolling" his contract making them owe them one more year if he does return, but in that case his $5 million will count against the cap in both seasons [source]

Edited by T-Ruff

It's not a coincidence because one caused the other but it also has nothing to do with his political affiliation.

Taking out the politics this is what he did: Made a controversial decision becoming a distraction for his team and justified his decision with public statements. He later refused to comment on these public statements, not helping the media distraction factor. Now he wants to sit out a season and it will cost the Bruins $5 million on the cap even if they suspend him (source) or send him to the AHL because of his contract.

So again, people aren't hating on him because of his politics, they are because he's a dick.

EDIT: as the original source says they Bruins will have the choice of "tolling" his contract making them owe them one more year if he does return, but in that case his $5 million will count against the cap in both seasons [source]

This seems familiar. Good luck getting through.

Guest Shoreline

CBC just aired his Facebook posting:

http://www.facebook.com/TimThomasOfficialPage

See why hockey's just not that important right now?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/former-hedge-funders-fearful-forecast-were-looking-at-the-biggest-economic-shock-the-world-has-ever-seen-theres-nothing-we-can-do-to-stop-it/

Former Hedge Funder’s Fearful Forecast: We‘re Looking at ’The Biggest Economic Shock the World Has E

www.theblaze.com

Former co-manager of the GLG Global Macro Fund Raoul Pal has joined the

I don't think this is true. IIRC, Scott Niedermayer was technically under suspension by the Ducks when he sat out the first third of the 07-08 season, and his salary didn't count against the cap. If the B's do the same thing, I'm guessing Thomas' salary will also not count towards the cap.

Since Thomas signed his contract after turning 35 years old, if he actually retired, the Bruins would have to pay off the rest of his contract (or at least some percentage of it, I don't remember..). Sounds like this is a way for him to hang 'em up and not leave the team stranded.

ESPN Link

From the article:

But even if the Bruins suspend Thomas, the cap hit still would count against the team for next season.

I think its crappy too. Especially since he is sitting out due to family reasons, which could mean his wife or one of his kids have cancer or something.