• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Tim Thomas.

Rate this topic

From his facebook page.

From the earliest age I can remember, I've wanted to be a hockey player. I've been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

On top of this, I will continue to train using the ARP/POV system www.ultrafitevosport.com and work with G-Form www.g-form.com in the development of protective equipment.

What does this portend for the future?

We'll see….God's will be done.

TT

An explanation that contains two product placements. :rolleyes:

I can respect putting your family and faith first, but with basically only a season or two left in his career at most, taking a year off is still an incredibly odd move. Why not just retire?

I understand the whole notion of wanting to spend more time with his family, but I don't understand why he's "taking off for a year" and not retiring. He's in the final year of his contract anyways, so he's done with the Bruins, just retire and save your team the cap space. If he does want to come back in a year, then he can un-retire like Hasek has a few times and sign with someone. His voluntary absence without retiring is screwing the Bruins over. Also, I thought it was really cheesy to plug EVO Ultra fit during his announcement.

To make it even nuttier, according to ESPN:

On Saturday night, Tim Thomas posted a link on his Facebook page to a story on TheBlaze.com that had a former hedge fund manager predicting "the biggest economic shock the world has ever seen."

"See why hockey's just not that important right now?" Thomas posted above the link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/9939/thomas-will-focus-on-friends-family-faith

Then he made his announcement to take a year off on his FB page the next day. :blink:

I understand the whole notion of wanting to spend more time with his family, but I don't understand why he's "taking off for a year" and not retiring. He's in the final year of his contract anyways, so he's done with the Bruins, just retire and save your team the cap space. If he does want to come back in a year, then he can un-retire like Hasek has a few times and sign with someone. His voluntary absence without retiring is screwing the Bruins over. Also, I thought it was really cheesy to plug EVO Ultra fit during his announcement.

I agree. I think screwing the Bruins out of $5 million in cap space is unprofessional of him. They should fix that in the new CBA. Why should a player's salary count towards the cap if he decides to take the season off or not honor his contract? If a player is placed on injured reserve or if a player decides to step away the game, then their salary shouldn't count towards the cap.

I have to say this is quite a suprise but I do recall hearing rumors about him possibly wanting to be traded out of Boston. I don't know how true it is but I did hear it from a couple different sources, perhaps that has something to do with his decision to take next season off. Whatever the reason I hope all is well with him and he returns to the NHL soon.

Does anyone know what was the reason Thomas is actually sitting out? In plain English, like his wife is going to give birth or his child is sick, or his mom needs care or something human like that? Because what I read out of Tim Thomas (or his publisist, who should be fired if he actually exists) is mostly pompous self-centered load of bullcrap.

Or is he simply playing head games with Bruins management, to stop them from trading him?

Guest Hatethedrake!

Maybe it's as simple as Thomas not getting along with his teammates anymore since not going to the White House. He has another year left on his contract. Maybe he says now that he will not play next year. UNLESS he gets traded to a team of his choice. This just seems odd to me.

Guest irishock

Might not be the biggest Thomas fan with the way he acts but I'm glad he played his best hockey last June and lifting that cup in Vancouver.

I'm assuming he has his reasons for sitting out. Being a goalie was my first career wish, so I can't imagine not wanting to do it. On the other hand, anything can get old or burdensome if there are other things in your life that need attention.

I totally respect someone walking away from the game for their own personal reasons, but the whole messing with the team regarding cap hit makes no sense to me.

You'd think that if he's worried about the global economic collapse, he'd work at that pay rate and put it aside for the fiscal armageddon that people are foretelling.

The leaving the game is his call, and his call alone, but as far as the contract goes, there may be no "I" in "team", but there's sure one in "Tim".

Dang, my guesses on the 3 F's that he wanted to reconnect with were fanaticism, fear mongering, and Fox News.

Failed attempt at humor is failed.

Might not be the biggest Thomas fan with the way he acts but I'm glad he played his best hockey last June and lifting that cup in Vancouver.

This. I also think it's strange he's choosing this route, but respect his decision.

I'll give it a shot that he runs for some kind of Political Office. as a member of the Teabag friendly GOP. Anyone care to digress with me on what he might actually do?

I'll give it a shot that he runs for some kind of Political Office. as a member of the Teabag friendly GOP. Anyone care to digress with me on what he might actually do?

Oh hey look, more name-calling of the American people. Just fyi, it doesn't equal an articulate or coherent argument.

At the risk of turning this into a political thread, I disagree. I'm a teabagger and I wouldn't vote for him at all.

I think he was serious about family issues. I doubt he is going into politics. He's already proven that he can't handle the political media. He can still do commercials for money, and maybe volunteer for a candidate or organization, but if he needs time to reconnect with family, friends, and faith (as he said in the article), politics is the last place to find those things.

Guest Shoreline

Spend time with family? Dig a hole in the ground and hide from Obama? Making Facebook videos for ad revenue in a mankini putting butter or Nair all over himself and shakerboarding some website address?

As strange and sudden as I find this, it's also his right to take time off as it would be for the Bruins to send Timmay down to Providence or cut him citing his Drew Carey likeness.