• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Tim Thomas.

Rate this topic

He would be crazy to sit out at his age... He is what either 38 or 39 I forget. If he sits a year out and trys to come back he'll be pushing 40 years old. What GM is going to want to sign a 40 year old goalie who has been sitting around for a full year?? Big mistake if he does that.

He would be crazy to sit out at his age... He is what either 38 or 39 I forget. If he sits a year out and trys to come back he'll be pushing 40 years old. What GM is going to want to sign a 40 year old goalie who has been sitting around for a full year?? Big mistake if he does that.

Steve Yzerman?

Who says he wants to come back? :sly:

Even for a goalie, Thomas seems bats*** crazy.

Maybe he's going to run for political office. <_< That consistency thing in goal? A little harder than it looked, eh? See ya!!

He had a .920 regular season save percentage and .923 playoff percentage this season. Those are both fairly consistent numbers for Thomas, just not the record setting performance from the previous year.

Either way, I don't get why he'd choose not to play a season at the end of his career.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever, especially for a 38 year old injury free goalie with one year left on a contending team that he just won a cup and Conn Smythe with. :blink:

I have no idea what factors would contribute to a decision like this in his life, but it seems plain as day that any normal person would play out this remaining year (its 5 million dollars!) and THEN retire, if indeed rest and relaxation is what he seeks.

He's a strange dude.

Even for a goalie, Thomas seems bats*** crazy.

He had a .920 regular season save percentage and .923 playoff percentage this season. Those are both fairly consistent numbers for Thomas, just not the record setting performance from the previous year.

Either way, I don't get why he'd choose not to play a season at the end of his career.

Because Tim Thomas Inc. reserves the right to consider any contract signed by Tim Thomas Inc. null and void. Additionally, Tim Thomas Inc. never claimed to have strong bonds of affection for the city of Boston, teammates, or the employers for which Tim Thomas Inc. temporarily associated itself. Team play, hard work, and sacrifice have always been considered of secondary importance to Tim Thomas Inc. whose only true goal has been the promotion of Tim Thomas Inc. from relative obscurity to a household brand much the same as Coca Cola Inc. Further clarification concerning the decisions of Tim Thomas Inc. will be delivered via internal memo to the employees of Tim Thomas Inc., however the content of said memo should not be released to the public for any reason whatsoever.

Tim Thomas Inc. and its licensed publicist will release a statement to the public tomorrow via facebook to help clarify some common misconceptions about the intent of Tim Thomas Inc.

Further information can be obtained by visiting the website www.GIANTDOUCHEBAG.timthomas.org.

is it a coincidence that after he did that first, really douchey thing, he's done several others, and based on the totality of those things people have started giving him justifiable criticism? I think not

Kip

edit: It's hard to imagine why anybody would criticize a guy for skipping a team function because of a polarizing political view, the results of which drew undue negative media attention to the rest of the players and team officials. And then, instead of explaining himself and asking the media to back off the rest of the team, he walked out of several Q & A session and press conferences without making a statement, only to turn around and make MORE polarizing political statements on facebook. And then finally, to hint that he may or may not finish out the final year of a 5 million dollar contract with the team which considers him an integral part of their success. Most importantly, to do all of this within the same year.

I'd hate to see what would happen if Kronwall, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or heaven forbid Franzen did all of those same things. People around here would be calling for heads.

It's not about his politics, it's about his "me first" attitude.

Edited by kipwinger

Ya, no GM would ever want to do that..sign a 40 year old who sat out a year....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/wings/2006-07-31-hasek_x.htm

...oh wait... :P

Not being a very good team player. As much as I like him, I don't agree with breaking your contract and letting the team take the hit for your salary because you just don't feel like playing. Wish we all had the option to just take a leave of absence when we feel like it and have a job to come back to...it doesn't work that way in the real world.

Not being a very good team player. As much as I like him, I don't agree with breaking your contract and letting the team take the hit for your salary because you just don't feel like playing. Wish we all had the option to just take a leave of absence when we feel like it and have a job to come back to...it doesn't work that way in the real world.

You're only making that totally reasonable statement because you don't like Thomas' politics. Admit it.

Question: I wonder how many times over the last couple of years Brad Stuart felt worn out and wanted to spend more time with his family? I can only speculate how often he felt that way. But I can give the number of times he sat out on the final year of his contract because of it. Zero.

Edited by kipwinger

Is it just coincidence the amount of crap Timmy's gotten since making his political affiliation known? I think not.

esteef

I think it has to do more with how he handled that situation than his actual political affiliation.

More than any snub of the presidency or anything, for me it was just a shame how he created this major distraction from what should've been a great day for his teammates.

And honestly, let's keep this thread about him taking a year off and away from politics. There's a thread about Thomas skipping the whitehouse in the political forum, so any discussion of that should go there.

This forum is one of the few safe havens where I don't have to think about that crap. :P

I think the thing that sounds crappy is that his entire salary still counts towards the cap of the Bruins. I don't mind that he wants to sit out for the season, but he should at least retire or void his contract in some way. That way, the team can compete without taking the $5 hit to the cap. Just my .02 cents.

Steve Yzerman?

When did Yzerman take a complete year off besides the lockout? If that's what you are talking about I would consider it a little different since everyone had to take the year off, and a lot players played across seas or in some type of organized league to keep in top shape.

Who says he wants to come back? :sly:

Maybe I misunderstood what I read? I thought he wanted to take a year off and come back...? :blink:

Ya, no GM would ever want to do that..sign a 40 year old who sat out a year....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/wings/2006-07-31-hasek_x.htm

...oh wait... :P

Oh man I knew someone would nail me for that. I still think its a little bit different though. The type of people/players Thomas and Hasek are. Both different in my opinion. It would all depend on if Thomas still worked out and such as well. If he sat around playing video games and out partying and stuff like that I would be real skeptical on signing him. :huh:

EDIT: Hasek actually sat out a year though without playing? I thought that was when he took that little stint in Europe?

EDIT2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominik_Hašek I guess he did not play 2 times throughout when he started his career. I still think hes one of those people/players that would have a asterisk next to his name, since you know he's known for keeping himself in the best of conditions and such.

Edited by Hockey13Playa

I think the thing that sounds crappy is that his entire salary still counts towards the cap of the Bruins. I don't mind that he wants to sit out for the season, but he should at least retire or void his contract in some way. That way, the team can compete without taking the $5 hit to the cap. Just my .02 cents.

I don't think this is true. IIRC, Scott Niedermayer was technically under suspension by the Ducks when he sat out the first third of the 07-08 season, and his salary didn't count against the cap. If the B's do the same thing, I'm guessing Thomas' salary will also not count towards the cap.

Since Thomas signed his contract after turning 35 years old, if he actually retired, the Bruins would have to pay off the rest of his contract (or at least some percentage of it, I don't remember..). Sounds like this is a way for him to hang 'em up and not leave the team stranded.

When did Yzerman take a complete year off besides the lockout? If that's what you are talking about I would consider it a little different since everyone had to take the year off, and a lot players played across seas or in some type of organized league to keep in top shape.

Maybe I misunderstood what I read? I thought he wanted to take a year off and come back...? :blink:

Oh man I knew someone would nail me for that. I still think its a little bit different though. The type of people/players Thomas and Hasek are. Both different in my opinion. It would all depend on if Thomas still worked out and such as well. If he sat around playing video games and out partying and stuff like that I would be real skeptical on signing him. :huh:

EDIT: Hasek actually sat out a year though without playing? I thought that was when he took that little stint in Europe?

EDIT2: http://en.wikipedia....inik_Hašek I guess he did not play 2 times throughout when he started his career. I still think hes one of those people/players that would have a asterisk next to his name, since you know he's known for keeping himself in the best of conditions and such.

You asked what GM would sign an old goalie that hadn't played in a year and I said "Steve Yzerman". It was my way of joking around about Yzerman signing a 40 year old Dwayne Roloson after he hadn't played much the year before. I realize that the two scenarios aren't exactly alike, but it was meant to be a joke none the less.

Edited by kipwinger

You asked what GM would sign an old goalie that hadn't played in a year and I said "Steve Yzerman". It was my way of joking around about Yzerman signing a 40 year old Dwayne Roloson after he hadn't played much the year before. I realize that the two scenarios aren't exactly alike, but it was meant to be a joke none the less.

Makes sense, I thought you were saying Steve Yzerman as a player did that. Sorry about that. But yeah I guess he did since he signed old man Roloson.