99 replies to this topic

#21 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Steve Yzerman?

When did Yzerman take a complete year off besides the lockout? If that's what you are talking about I would consider it a little different since everyone had to take the year off, and a lot players played across seas or in some type of organized league to keep in top shape.

Who says he wants to come back? :sly:

Maybe I misunderstood what I read? I thought he wanted to take a year off and come back...? :blink:

Ya, no GM would ever want to do that..sign a 40 year old who sat out a year....

http://www.usatoday....-31-hasek_x.htm

...oh wait... :P

Oh man I knew someone would nail me for that. I still think its a little bit different though. The type of people/players Thomas and Hasek are. Both different in my opinion. It would all depend on if Thomas still worked out and such as well. If he sat around playing video games and out partying and stuff like that I would be real skeptical on signing him. :huh:

EDIT: Hasek actually sat out a year though without playing? I thought that was when he took that little stint in Europe?

EDIT2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominik_Hašek I guess he did not play 2 times throughout when he started his career. I still think hes one of those people/players that would have a asterisk next to his name, since you know he's known for keeping himself in the best of conditions and such.

Edited by Hockey13Playa, 01 June 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image

#22 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think the thing that sounds crappy is that his entire salary still counts towards the cap of the Bruins. I don't mind that he wants to sit out for the season, but he should at least retire or void his contract in some way. That way, the team can compete without taking the $5 hit to the cap. Just my .02 cents.

I don't think this is true. IIRC, Scott Niedermayer was technically under suspension by the Ducks when he sat out the first third of the 07-08 season, and his salary didn't count against the cap. If the B's do the same thing, I'm guessing Thomas' salary will also not count towards the cap.

Since Thomas signed his contract after turning 35 years old, if he actually retired, the Bruins would have to pay off the rest of his contract (or at least some percentage of it, I don't remember..). Sounds like this is a way for him to hang 'em up and not leave the team stranded.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

When did Yzerman take a complete year off besides the lockout? If that's what you are talking about I would consider it a little different since everyone had to take the year off, and a lot players played across seas or in some type of organized league to keep in top shape.

Maybe I misunderstood what I read? I thought he wanted to take a year off and come back...? :blink:

Oh man I knew someone would nail me for that. I still think its a little bit different though. The type of people/players Thomas and Hasek are. Both different in my opinion. It would all depend on if Thomas still worked out and such as well. If he sat around playing video games and out partying and stuff like that I would be real skeptical on signing him. :huh:

EDIT: Hasek actually sat out a year though without playing? I thought that was when he took that little stint in Europe?

EDIT2: http://en.wikipedia....inik_Hašek I guess he did not play 2 times throughout when he started his career. I still think hes one of those people/players that would have a asterisk next to his name, since you know he's known for keeping himself in the best of conditions and such.

You asked what GM would sign an old goalie that hadn't played in a year and I said "Steve Yzerman". It was my way of joking around about Yzerman signing a 40 year old Dwayne Roloson after he hadn't played much the year before. I realize that the two scenarios aren't exactly alike, but it was meant to be a joke none the less.

Edited by kipwinger, 01 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

So he wants to sit out the season and have the team pick up his paycheck. Is it just me, or do the words, "You can't have it both ways" apply here?
Posted Image

#25 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

You asked what GM would sign an old goalie that hadn't played in a year and I said "Steve Yzerman". It was my way of joking around about Yzerman signing a 40 year old Dwayne Roloson after he hadn't played much the year before. I realize that the two scenarios aren't exactly alike, but it was meant to be a joke none the less.

Makes sense, I thought you were saying Steve Yzerman as a player did that. Sorry about that. But yeah I guess he did since he signed old man Roloson.

Posted Image

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Makes sense, I thought you were saying Steve Yzerman as a player did that. Sorry about that. But yeah I guess he did since he signed old man Roloson.

Roloson did play about 50 games the year before Yzerman signed him though, so it's not an exact comparison

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Give him his own television show on a community cable station.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

But he needs money to pay cab fares...

Three weeks!

#29 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

I'd consider the fan base also, going from cup champions to out in the first round. There's been issues with fans in Boston at Red Sox games in recent history, and it's known to be a city where sports fans are very Philly-like. Maybe he's received threats and is having issues with the fans, just because it isn't reported doesn't mean it's not happening. Considering the little known facts of the article, it could be a contributing factor if it isn't a step towards retirement or conflicts in his political standing and everything that happened.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Three weeks!

Peggy, Tim Thomas, Pat Kane, and the Stanley Cup guy should all star in a sitcom.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Is it just coincidence the amount of crap Timmy's gotten since making his political affiliation known? I think not.

esteef

Yeah, everyone loved Tim Thomas until he expressed his opinion. It's amazing how petty people are.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

he wants to finish he's career in detroit. that is his dream. not sure if it can/will come true. and maybe it's just better i not give source cause it's from a friend! Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Yeah, everyone loved Tim Thomas until he expressed his opinion. It's amazing how petty people are.

The funny thing here is that it's a two way street on both side's....However he should have learned from the Dixie Chicks if you ask me....
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#34 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

I think the thing that sounds crappy is that his entire salary still counts towards the cap of the Bruins. I don't mind that he wants to sit out for the season, but he should at least retire or void his contract in some way. That way, the team can compete without taking the $5 hit to the cap. Just my .02 cents.

I don't think this is true. IIRC, Scott Niedermayer was technically under suspension by the Ducks when he sat out the first third of the 07-08 season, and his salary didn't count against the cap. If the B's do the same thing, I'm guessing Thomas' salary will also not count towards the cap.

Since Thomas signed his contract after turning 35 years old, if he actually retired, the Bruins would have to pay off the rest of his contract (or at least some percentage of it, I don't remember..). Sounds like this is a way for him to hang 'em up and not leave the team stranded.

I thought that if you signed after a certain age (as Comrade mentioned 35) retirement through anything other than injury meant that salary still had to be paid/counted against the cap as a way of stopping teams front loading contracts until players were like 50? Not too knowledgable of the salary cap and the CBA though so may well be wrong. Even buying out a contract still counts towards the cap doesn't it, just means that money is off their books in one lump sum and they can forget about it. Wondering if there is any way to void a contract as Nightfall said? (Sorry still not great with peoples actual names and their profile names.) Only way I can think of is if one or the other of the party breaks contract rules and they have a legal opportunity to terminate a contract. However still don't know how that will affect the CBA as it could still require them to pay towards the cap.

Very weird move by Thomas but quite simply, I think he doesn't really enjoy it much anymore. I gave up playing soccer because I simply lost interest in it, some of the time it happens. But then again soccer is rapidly falling apart so it was an easy decision :P

EDIT: Forgot to mention, with the Long-term IR, I wonder if a team could lobby on grounds of mental health? Has that ever been done before. I think with a lot of hockey players untimely deaths recently and some having suspicious circumstances surrounding them, that a team could put together a good case for a player needing time off such as this. Would have to be strictly enforced though to stop teams getting big contracts off their books.

Because Tim Thomas Inc. reserves the right to consider any contract signed by Tim Thomas Inc. null and void. Additionally, Tim Thomas Inc. never claimed to have strong bonds of affection for the city of Boston, teammates, or the employers for which Tim Thomas Inc. temporarily associated itself. Team play, hard work, and sacrifice have always been considered of secondary importance to Tim Thomas Inc. whose only true goal has been the promotion of Tim Thomas Inc. from relative obscurity to a household brand much the same as Coca Cola Inc. Further clarification concerning the decisions of Tim Thomas Inc. will be delivered via internal memo to the employees of Tim Thomas Inc., however the content of said memo should not be released to the public for any reason whatsoever.

Tim Thomas Inc. and its licensed publicist will release a statement to the public tomorrow via facebook to help clarify some common misconceptions about the intent of Tim Thomas Inc.

Further information can be obtained by visiting the website www.GIANTDOUCHEBAG.timthomas.org.

This is bullplop... Coca Cola has never been known as 'Coca Cola Inc.' but is traded as a public company under the name 'The Coca Cola Company'... Jeez get it right! :ph34r:

Edited by Wing Across The Pond, 02 June 2012 - 06:44 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#35 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

"We'd have to deal (the loss of Thomas for the season) and we will," said Chiarelli. "I'd be more than satisfied with Tuukka (Rask) and (Anton) Khudobin as our goaltenders."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#36 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Can't quote a quote here, but what Chiarelli said. :thumbup:

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#37 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

People only mildly cared too until the media wouldn't shut up about it, which tells you how easily people derive their thoughts from what the media tells or portrays to them.

#38 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

He is just playing the cards he was dealt. Thomas knows the Bruins are looking to trade him. His no movement clause of his contract expires on July 1st. Meaning that the Bruins could wait til it expires and trade him to Winnipeg or somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Thomas makes a statement saying he is going to sit out, the Bruins then are forced to handle him and he can now use his no trade clause and pick the teams he'd be willing to go to.

Thomas says it's because of his family, but it makes no sense if that is the only reason.
Posted Image

#39 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

1338574550[/url]' post='2304607']
He would be crazy to sit out at his age... He is what either 38 or 39 I forget. If he sits a year out and trys to come back he'll be pushing 40 years old. What GM is going to want to sign a 40 year old goalie who has been sitting around for a full year?? Big mistake if he does that.

Promise? Can't stand the Prima Dona Ice Queen.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#40 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Tim Who?
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011