99 replies to this topic

#41 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

1338579968[/url]' post='2304640']
Is it just coincidence the amount of crap Timmy's gotten since making his political affiliation known? I think not.

esteef

When any media type makes public, polarizing, individual-type statements or takes action on same, they damn well should be ready to live with the consequences. No matter which end of the political spectrum they're on.

1338590822[/url]' post='2304688']
So he wants to sit out the season and have the team pick up his paycheck. Is it just me, or do the words, "You can't have it both ways" apply here?

Sorry. That minus was supposed to be a PLUS. Posted Image

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#42 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Zero sense this makes.

As for the political dealie/skipping the White House celebration, I think it's a bit of a reach to see how these two specific things are connected. Happened months and months ago so I don't see why it is reason to be brought up when him possibly skipping out has probably little or nothing to do with politics/government.

And as for him skipping out, was his choice and his business. Don't really agree with it but I understand and respect his decision. All I'm going to say on that since I pretty much have given up talking politics in depth a long time ago.

#43 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Zero sense this makes.

As for the political dealie/skipping the White House celebration, I think it's a bit of a reach to see how these two specific things are connected. Happened months and months ago so I don't see why it is reason to be brought up when him possibly skipping out has probably little or nothing to do with politics/government.

And as for him skipping out, was his choice and his business. Don't really agree with it but I understand and respect his decision. All I'm going to say on that since I pretty much have given up talking politics in depth a long time ago.

But it's not just his business, he is making a selfish decision that could potentially affect the Bruins financially . Plus he signed a contract, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it's ok to break an agreement. That is a general statement for the mindset that seems to be common now. If you agreed to something hold up your end of it or make sure you make amends for not doing it and you better have a damn good reason too! I say if he wants the year off he should have to pay any penalty that the Bruin's might have to burden. And if he chooses to retire, I saw somewhere that the Bruins would still owe him money...he should have to forfeit it.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#44 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

But it's not just his business, he is making a selfish decision that could potentially affect the Bruins financially . Plus he signed a contract, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it's ok to break an agreement. That is a general statement for the mindset that seems to be common now. If you agreed to something hold up your end of it or make sure you make amends for not doing it and you better have a damn good reason too! I say if he wants the year off he should have to pay any penalty that the Bruin's might have to burden. And if he chooses to retire, I saw somewhere that the Bruins would still owe him money...he should have to forfeit it.

Was talking about his decision to skip the White House event, I don't know why or what the reasons are or the $$$'s of him skipping out playing a year with his employer, we are talking about different things.

#45 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Is it just coincidence the amount of crap Timmy's gotten since making his political affiliation known? I think not.

It's not a coincidence because one caused the other but it also has nothing to do with his political affiliation.

Taking out the politics this is what he did: Made a controversial decision becoming a distraction for his team and justified his decision with public statements. He later refused to comment on these public statements, not helping the media distraction factor. Now he wants to sit out a season and it will cost the Bruins $5 million on the cap even if they suspend him (source) or send him to the AHL because of his contract.

So again, people aren't hating on him because of his politics, they are because he's a dick.

EDIT: as the original source says they Bruins will have the choice of "tolling" his contract making them owe them one more year if he does return, but in that case his $5 million will count against the cap in both seasons [source]

Edited by T-Ruff, 02 June 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#46 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

It's not a coincidence because one caused the other but it also has nothing to do with his political affiliation.

Taking out the politics this is what he did: Made a controversial decision becoming a distraction for his team and justified his decision with public statements. He later refused to comment on these public statements, not helping the media distraction factor. Now he wants to sit out a season and it will cost the Bruins $5 million on the cap even if they suspend him (source) or send him to the AHL because of his contract.

So again, people aren't hating on him because of his politics, they are because he's a dick.

EDIT: as the original source says they Bruins will have the choice of "tolling" his contract making them owe them one more year if he does return, but in that case his $5 million will count against the cap in both seasons [source]

This seems familiar. Good luck getting through.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#47 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

CBC just aired his Facebook posting:

http://www.facebook....masOfficialPage

See why hockey's just not that important right now?

http://www.theblaze....-do-to-stop-it/

Former Hedge Funder’s Fearful Forecast: We‘re Looking at ’The Biggest Economic Shock the World Has E
www.theblaze.com
Former co-manager of the GLG Global Macro Fund Raoul Pal has joined the

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Tim Who?

Posted ImagePosted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

Posted Image

Here Thomas, knock yourself out; the real world is tire-d.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

I don't think this is true. IIRC, Scott Niedermayer was technically under suspension by the Ducks when he sat out the first third of the 07-08 season, and his salary didn't count against the cap. If the B's do the same thing, I'm guessing Thomas' salary will also not count towards the cap.

Since Thomas signed his contract after turning 35 years old, if he actually retired, the Bruins would have to pay off the rest of his contract (or at least some percentage of it, I don't remember..). Sounds like this is a way for him to hang 'em up and not leave the team stranded.

ESPN Link

From the article:

But even if the Bruins suspend Thomas, the cap hit still would count against the team for next season.

I think its crappy too. Especially since he is sitting out due to family reasons, which could mean his wife or one of his kids have cancer or something.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

From his facebook page.

From the earliest age I can remember, I've wanted to be a hockey player. I've been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

On top of this, I will continue to train using the ARP/POV system www.ultrafitevosport.com and work with G-Form www.g-form.com in the development of protective equipment.

What does this portend for the future?

We'll see….God's will be done.

TT

An explanation that contains two product placements. :rolleyes:

I can respect putting your family and faith first, but with basically only a season or two left in his career at most, taking a year off is still an incredibly odd move. Why not just retire?

#52 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Nothing like a non-subtle product placement in your Facebook page.
More spotlight!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#53 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Spend time with family? What a jerk!!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#54 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I understand the whole notion of wanting to spend more time with his family, but I don't understand why he's "taking off for a year" and not retiring. He's in the final year of his contract anyways, so he's done with the Bruins, just retire and save your team the cap space. If he does want to come back in a year, then he can un-retire like Hasek has a few times and sign with someone. His voluntary absence without retiring is screwing the Bruins over. Also, I thought it was really cheesy to plug EVO Ultra fit during his announcement.

#55 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Dang, my guesses on the 3 F's that he wanted to reconnect with were fanaticism, fear mongering, and Fox News.

#56 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

To make it even nuttier, according to ESPN:

On Saturday night, Tim Thomas posted a link on his Facebook page to a story on TheBlaze.com that had a former hedge fund manager predicting "the biggest economic shock the world has ever seen."

"See why hockey's just not that important right now?" Thomas posted above the link.

http://espn.go.com/b...ds-family-faith

Then he made his announcement to take a year off on his FB page the next day. :blink:

#57 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I understand the whole notion of wanting to spend more time with his family, but I don't understand why he's "taking off for a year" and not retiring. He's in the final year of his contract anyways, so he's done with the Bruins, just retire and save your team the cap space. If he does want to come back in a year, then he can un-retire like Hasek has a few times and sign with someone. His voluntary absence without retiring is screwing the Bruins over. Also, I thought it was really cheesy to plug EVO Ultra fit during his announcement.

I agree. I think screwing the Bruins out of $5 million in cap space is unprofessional of him. They should fix that in the new CBA. Why should a player's salary count towards the cap if he decides to take the season off or not honor his contract? If a player is placed on injured reserve or if a player decides to step away the game, then their salary shouldn't count towards the cap.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#58 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Why not just retire indeed? Taking a year off? lol. Give us a break please. I like Tim and my name's Tim, but seriously this is somewhat of a joke. So much for being a "Team" player.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 03 June 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#59 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have to say this is quite a suprise but I do recall hearing rumors about him possibly wanting to be traded out of Boston. I don't know how true it is but I did hear it from a couple different sources, perhaps that has something to do with his decision to take next season off. Whatever the reason I hope all is well with him and he returns to the NHL soon.

#60 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Does anyone know what was the reason Thomas is actually sitting out? In plain English, like his wife is going to give birth or his child is sick, or his mom needs care or something human like that? Because what I read out of Tim Thomas (or his publisist, who should be fired if he actually exists) is mostly pompous self-centered load of bullcrap.
Or is he simply playing head games with Bruins management, to stop them from trading him?