• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

I really respect Timmay he is a great guy and a man of his worth. I am sure Rask will gladely takeover from here.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#62 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Maybe it's as simple as Thomas not getting along with his teammates anymore since not going to the White House. He has another year left on his contract. Maybe he says now that he will not play next year. UNLESS he gets traded to a team of his choice. This just seems odd to me.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#63 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Might not be the biggest Thomas fan with the way he acts but I'm glad he played his best hockey last June and lifting that cup in Vancouver.

bringit.jpg

#64 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'm assuming he has his reasons for sitting out. Being a goalie was my first career wish, so I can't imagine not wanting to do it. On the other hand, anything can get old or burdensome if there are other things in your life that need attention.

I totally respect someone walking away from the game for their own personal reasons, but the whole messing with the team regarding cap hit makes no sense to me.

You'd think that if he's worried about the global economic collapse, he'd work at that pay rate and put it aside for the fiscal armageddon that people are foretelling.

The leaving the game is his call, and his call alone, but as far as the contract goes, there may be no "I" in "team", but there's sure one in "Tim".

#65 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Dang, my guesses on the 3 F's that he wanted to reconnect with were fanaticism, fear mongering, and Fox News.

Failed attempt at humor is failed.

Might not be the biggest Thomas fan with the way he acts but I'm glad he played his best hockey last June and lifting that cup in Vancouver.

This. I also think it's strange he's choosing this route, but respect his decision.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#66 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

I'll give it a shot that he runs for some kind of Political Office. as a member of the Teabag friendly GOP. Anyone care to digress with me on what he might actually do?

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#67 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'll give it a shot that he runs for some kind of Political Office. as a member of the Teabag friendly GOP. Anyone care to digress with me on what he might actually do?

Oh hey look, more name-calling of the American people. Just fyi, it doesn't equal an articulate or coherent argument.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#68 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

How WEIRD.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#69 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

At the risk of turning this into a political thread, I disagree. I'm a teabagger and I wouldn't vote for him at all.

I think he was serious about family issues. I doubt he is going into politics. He's already proven that he can't handle the political media. He can still do commercials for money, and maybe volunteer for a candidate or organization, but if he needs time to reconnect with family, friends, and faith (as he said in the article), politics is the last place to find those things.

#70 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

How WEIRD.

And all this time, goalies were considered the most stable & mentally balanced of all hockey players right? Just wait until he tries to make an NHL comeback at 47.

#71 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

I don't get this move at all
IPB Image

#72 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Spend time with family? Dig a hole in the ground and hide from Obama? Making Facebook videos for ad revenue in a mankini putting butter or Nair all over himself and shakerboarding some website address?

As strange and sudden as I find this, it's also his right to take time off as it would be for the Bruins to send Timmay down to Providence or cut him citing his Drew Carey likeness.

#73 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

He would make an awesome Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#74 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

Just retire and come back next year like everyone else does when they realize they miss the money and the attention....err...the game.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! ™ - RETIRED 2012

#75 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

From where I sit in the "cheap seats", it looks like Boston just got Thomasized™.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#76 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Well some more news on the Tim Thomas saga...

http://www.cbssports...lding-inquiries

Hopefully you haven't written Tim Thomas off completely for next season. There's still a chance he'll be playing somewhere in the NHL.
Thomas, who has one more season remaining on his contract, has told theBruins that he was going to sit this season out. But now he has waived his no-movement clause on his contract and so he might indeed be on the ice next season, just not in Boston.
"He has given me a complete waiver of his no-trade clause," GM Peter Chiarelli told CSNNE.com, adding that Thomas remains firm on the stance he's going to sit out the 2012-13 season. "He gave this to me a week-and-a-half ago. In that sense, he's being cooperative if we do decide to trade him. It may not make much of a difference, because the no-trade clause is gone at the end of the month.
"There's a category of teams inquiring him for the cap floor, and then there have been a couple of teams inquiring on him if he's coming back. I'm telling [Thomas] the same things that I've been telling you guys: If you look at it, it's a $5 million cap hit that people won't have to pay. Based on that there is interest, but there's no rush to get him. But if there's more than one team interested, then I'd have to look at that."
Can't say I'm surprised by this. All along I never completely bought the threat from Thomas to sit out. It screamed like the most passive-aggressive trade request I can recall. A 38-year-old sitting out a season on a sabbatical? Just didn't seem to make much sense.
The market for Thomas will likely include more teams than the market for, say, Roberto Luongo. Dealing the remaining season and the $5 million cap hit that comes along with it is enticing to teams that might not necessarily need a No. 1 goaltender but instead are interested in reaching the cap floor. His deal will not be a long-term burden like Luongo's.
Of course, teams that need a goalie -- I'm looking at you, Maple Leafs -- might be interested too ... if they could talk him out of a sabbatical, which doesn't sound likely.
Somehow, this whole saga seems so appropriate for Thomas. He could be a former Bruin by the end of the weekend.

Posted Image

#77 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

I still find it funny that everyone trashes him for "antics" when as far as I know, he only refused to go to the White House and only commented when pressed to. As far as I know he's not a trouble maker or not well liked among players. But I guess politics has a way of blinding people even in sports.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#78 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Who is going to trade for a guy that's not sure if he wants to play?!
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#79 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Don't you think Boston will basically give him away just to get out from under the cap hit?
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! ™ - RETIRED 2012

#80 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I still find it funny that everyone trashes him for "antics" when as far as I know, he only refused to go to the White House and only commented when pressed to. As far as I know he's not a trouble maker or not well liked among players. But I guess politics has a way of blinding people even in sports.

He posted his reasoning for not going to the White House the same day the team was attending, so if he was pressed to explain himself it must have been by reporters that were on the ball.

If he had just refused to go to the White House I wouldn't care...What I find annoying is how he makes these outlandish statements on his facebook page and then when asked about them refuses to talk about them.

If you don't want your political statements to be discussed in public...Don't make them in public.

Then comparing the Obama administration to the Nazi's a week later was also a bit disrespectful IMO.