• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Tim Thomas.

Rate this topic

Well some more news on the Tim Thomas saga...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/19403756/tim-thomas-waives-no-movement-clause-bruins-fielding-inquiries

Hopefully you haven't written Tim Thomas off completely for next season. There's still a chance he'll be playing somewhere in the NHL.

Thomas, who has one more season remaining on his contract, has told theBruins that he was going to sit this season out. But now he has waived his no-movement clause on his contract and so he might indeed be on the ice next season, just not in Boston.

"He has given me a complete waiver of his no-trade clause," GM Peter Chiarelli told CSNNE.com, adding that Thomas remains firm on the stance he's going to sit out the 2012-13 season. "He gave this to me a week-and-a-half ago. In that sense, he's being cooperative if we do decide to trade him. It may not make much of a difference, because the no-trade clause is gone at the end of the month.

"There's a category of teams inquiring him for the cap floor, and then there have been a couple of teams inquiring on him if he's coming back. I'm telling [Thomas] the same things that I've been telling you guys: If you look at it, it's a $5 million cap hit that people won't have to pay. Based on that there is interest, but there's no rush to get him. But if there's more than one team interested, then I'd have to look at that."

Can't say I'm surprised by this. All along I never completely bought the threat from Thomas to sit out. It screamed like the most passive-aggressive trade request I can recall. A 38-year-old sitting out a season on a sabbatical? Just didn't seem to make much sense.

The market for Thomas will likely include more teams than the market for, say, Roberto Luongo. Dealing the remaining season and the $5 million cap hit that comes along with it is enticing to teams that might not necessarily need a No. 1 goaltender but instead are interested in reaching the cap floor. His deal will not be a long-term burden like Luongo's.

Of course, teams that need a goalie -- I'm looking at you, Maple Leafs -- might be interested too ... if they could talk him out of a sabbatical, which doesn't sound likely.

Somehow, this whole saga seems so appropriate for Thomas. He could be a former Bruin by the end of the weekend.

I still find it funny that everyone trashes him for "antics" when as far as I know, he only refused to go to the White House and only commented when pressed to. As far as I know he's not a trouble maker or not well liked among players. But I guess politics has a way of blinding people even in sports.

I still find it funny that everyone trashes him for "antics" when as far as I know, he only refused to go to the White House and only commented when pressed to. As far as I know he's not a trouble maker or not well liked among players. But I guess politics has a way of blinding people even in sports.

He posted his reasoning for not going to the White House the same day the team was attending, so if he was pressed to explain himself it must have been by reporters that were on the ball.

If he had just refused to go to the White House I wouldn't care...What I find annoying is how he makes these outlandish statements on his facebook page and then when asked about them refuses to talk about them.

If you don't want your political statements to be discussed in public...Don't make them in public.

Then comparing the Obama administration to the Nazi's a week later was also a bit disrespectful IMO.

Now that he's waived his No-Movement Clause... Can't the Bruins just send him down to the minors? What team is going to pick him up if they know he's not going to play?

Instant cap relief, toll his contract when he doesn't show, retaining his rights... Win-Win-Win.

He posted his reasoning for not going to the White House the same day the team was attending, so if he was pressed to explain himself it must have been by reporters that were on the ball.

If he had just refused to go to the White House I wouldn't care...What I find annoying is how he makes these outlandish statements on his facebook page and then when asked about them refuses to talk about them.

If you don't want your political statements to be discussed in public...Don't make them in public.

Then comparing the Obama administration to the Nazi's a week later was also a bit disrespectful IMO.

Well, I was unaware of his Nazi comments. But either way, it's just a guys opinion. It doesn't affect his play or even make him an ***hole.

Anyone's stance on any political issue is no longer a topic of discussion at LGW. Please keep any discussion limited to the game of hockey and all that entails.

Love that, the guy did nothing wrong and focusing on family, friends and freedom away from hockey is never a bad thing. He is a great goaltender and deserves some respect. Could easily see him becoming a goaltender coach in Boston.

Guest RedWingsDad

Boston tried to trade him last year, and wanted to trade him this year. They are obviously trying to dump him while his stock is still high because they are comfortable with slotting Rask as the starting goaltender. I don't think he wanted to uproot his family, and therefore wanted to retire in Boston... so his decision to sit out this year (making himself unappealing for trade) was in some ways forced by Boston. At any rate... stand-up guy.

On a side note, I hope he retires a Bruin because I just got his jersey... lol

Edited by RedWingsDad

Someone needs to save Tim from himself. One thing to have an unpopular opinion, its another to hold up a lightning rod every. single. chance. you get. We love you, Tim, but you should stick to hockey.

One final reminder, before this thread is toast. Politics is a no-go for LGW.

Further posts with political issues can and will be edited or deleted without advance notice, and you could find yourself with a sit on the bench as a result.

Hopefully the new CBA will have something in it where Boston can release him outright due to the circumstances...

Let me just state by the way, that I am referring to the circumstances around him "skipping a year" unexpectedly and basically just taking a leave without medical reason, I am not making a political stance here, and I FIRMLY agree with the removal of polical rhetoric on this board, it has no place...

It's not the particular political views Thomas espouses that are the problem. I don't think anybody's been able to figure out exactly what those are anyway. The problem was that he embarrassed the Bruins organization and drew attention to his own views on multiple occasions during a time when his team should have been focused on making the Playoffs and getting a good seed.

I think they were phasing him out in favor of Rask anyway.

Guest RedWingsDad

It's not the particular political views Thomas espouses that are the problem. I don't think anybody's been able to figure out exactly what those are anyway...."

You would be wrong. I think making loaded statements about someones political views still falls under the realm of discussing politics on LGW.

Moving on from political discourse............................... does anyone have any opinions on what will happen to Thomas? I wouldn't think a team would trade for him (give up assets) AND pay his salary... just to reach the salary floor. Perhaps there is something I don't understand that would make the scenario more appealing to a team trying to reach the salary floor. Seems there would be better alternatives.

Edited by RedWingsDad

You would be wrong. I think making loaded statements about someones political views still falls under the realm of discussing politics on LGW.

Moving on from political discourse............................... does anyone have any opinions on what will happen to Thomas? I wouldn't think a team would trade for him (give up assets) AND pay his salary... just to reach the salary floor. Perhaps there is something I don't understand that would make the scenario more appealing to a team trying to reach the salary floor. Seems there would be better alternatives.

He'll be another year older, a year removed from the game, and brings possible unneeded discourse to the locker room... I think any team and/or GM would be out of their mind to trade for him........ Long story short, look for him to go to Columbus :)