• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Not quite sure why he wants out of Boston.

#82 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

Is the story true that he believes that the end of the world is just around the corner and that he's taking the believed-to-be necessary steps to save him and his family? If it is, he's got to stop following that Mayan calendar.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#83 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Now that he's waived his No-Movement Clause... Can't the Bruins just send him down to the minors? What team is going to pick him up if they know he's not going to play?
Instant cap relief, toll his contract when he doesn't show, retaining his rights... Win-Win-Win.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#84 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

What team is going to pick him up if they know he's not going to play?

Teams that are below the current salary floor. From all reports, it appears there are a few teams in that spot that are interested.

#85 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

He posted his reasoning for not going to the White House the same day the team was attending, so if he was pressed to explain himself it must have been by reporters that were on the ball.

If he had just refused to go to the White House I wouldn't care...What I find annoying is how he makes these outlandish statements on his facebook page and then when asked about them refuses to talk about them.

If you don't want your political statements to be discussed in public...Don't make them in public.

Then comparing the Obama administration to the Nazi's a week later was also a bit disrespectful IMO.

Well, I was unaware of his Nazi comments. But either way, it's just a guys opinion. It doesn't affect his play or even make him an ***hole.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#86 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Freedom of speech. Who cares what he stands for anyways?
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#87 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Anyone's stance on any political issue is no longer a topic of discussion at LGW. Please keep any discussion limited to the game of hockey and all that entails.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#88 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hopefully the new CBA will have something in it where Boston can release him outright due to the circumstances...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#89 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Anyone's stance on any political issue is no longer a topic of discussion at LGW. Please keep any discussion limited to the game of hockey and all that entails.

Love that, the guy did nothing wrong and focusing on family, friends and freedom away from hockey is never a bad thing. He is a great goaltender and deserves some respect. Could easily see him becoming a goaltender coach in Boston.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#90 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Silly old bear.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#91 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Boston tried to trade him last year, and wanted to trade him this year. They are obviously trying to dump him while his stock is still high because they are comfortable with slotting Rask as the starting goaltender. I don't think he wanted to uproot his family, and therefore wanted to retire in Boston... so his decision to sit out this year (making himself unappealing for trade) was in some ways forced by Boston. At any rate... stand-up guy.

On a side note, I hope he retires a Bruin because I just got his jersey... lol

Edited by RedWingsDad, 27 July 2012 - 11:22 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#92 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Someone needs to save Tim from himself. One thing to have an unpopular opinion, its another to hold up a lightning rod every. single. chance. you get. We love you, Tim, but you should stick to hockey.

#93 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

One final reminder, before this thread is toast. Politics is a no-go for LGW.

Further posts with political issues can and will be edited or deleted without advance notice, and you could find yourself with a sit on the bench as a result.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#94 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hopefully the new CBA will have something in it where Boston can release him outright due to the circumstances...

Let me just state by the way, that I am referring to the circumstances around him "skipping a year" unexpectedly and basically just taking a leave without medical reason, I am not making a political stance here, and I FIRMLY agree with the removal of polical rhetoric on this board, it has no place...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#95 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

So much for the "You Can Play" project.

#96 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

It's not the particular political views Thomas espouses that are the problem. I don't think anybody's been able to figure out exactly what those are anyway. The problem was that he embarrassed the Bruins organization and drew attention to his own views on multiple occasions during a time when his team should have been focused on making the Playoffs and getting a good seed.

I think they were phasing him out in favor of Rask anyway.

#97 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

It's not the particular political views Thomas espouses that are the problem. I don't think anybody's been able to figure out exactly what those are anyway...."

You would be wrong. I think making loaded statements about someones political views still falls under the realm of discussing politics on LGW.

Moving on from political discourse............................... does anyone have any opinions on what will happen to Thomas? I wouldn't think a team would trade for him (give up assets) AND pay his salary... just to reach the salary floor. Perhaps there is something I don't understand that would make the scenario more appealing to a team trying to reach the salary floor. Seems there would be better alternatives.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 27 July 2012 - 12:41 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#98 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

You would be wrong. I think making loaded statements about someones political views still falls under the realm of discussing politics on LGW.

Moving on from political discourse............................... does anyone have any opinions on what will happen to Thomas? I wouldn't think a team would trade for him (give up assets) AND pay his salary... just to reach the salary floor. Perhaps there is something I don't understand that would make the scenario more appealing to a team trying to reach the salary floor. Seems there would be better alternatives.

He'll be another year older, a year removed from the game, and brings possible unneeded discourse to the locker room... I think any team and/or GM would be out of their mind to trade for him........ Long story short, look for him to go to Columbus :)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#99 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

Oh Timmy...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#100 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

What I think will end up happening is that once Luongo is traded (I think Chicago or Toronto) I could see a market emerging for Thomas.