• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Path to the NHL

Rate this topic

Just a minor topic here. I was wondering how you guys (and gals) would rate the different leagues leading to the NHL. In terms of being closest to NHL level competition, how would you order the OHL, AHL, KHL, Swedish Elite League, and NCAA? Obviously I have my own opinions but I was curious to hear your thoughts.

Guest Johnz96

Just a minor topic here. I was wondering how you guys (and gals) would rate the different leagues leading to the NHL. In terms of being closest to NHL level competition, how would you order the OHL, AHL, KHL, Swedish Elite League, and NCAA? Obviously I have my own opinions but I was curious to hear your thoughts.

AHL, KHL, SEL, NCAA, Canadian jr hockey (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) in that order

You forgot SM-liiga

You forgot SM-liiga

Fair enough, throw it in there. The whole reason I asked this question is because I wanted to see what everyone thought the competition levels were like in the major leagues around the world. So that whenever anyone says "So and So is NHL ready because he dominated such and such league," we'd have an idea of whether that's realistic or not.

Are you putting NCAA ahead of CHL??

NCAA is not, overall, ahead of the OHL and QMJHL. I will put it in front of the WHL though.

AHL (34 of the 40 players in the current Finals played in the AHL)

KHL

SEL

SMl

DEL (you guys forgot this one)

OHL

QMJHL

NCAA

WHL

ECHL

CHL (Central Hockey League)

Guest Johnz96

NCAA is not, overall, ahead of the OHL and QMJHL. I will put it in front of the WHL though.

AHL (34 of the 40 players in the current Finals played in the AHL)

KHL

SEL

SMl

DEL (you guys forgot this one)

OHL

QMJHL

NCAA

WHL

ECHL

CHL (Central Hockey League)

NCAA is way ahead of thre Canadian jr. leagues mostly because the players are so much older. There have been a few players over the years that have gone from the NCAA to jr. hockey and their production always increases greatly in the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL)

Charlie Coyle scored 14 points in 16 games at BU this year before moving to the QMJHL and scoring 38 points in 23 games for St. John

m longer. Gilroy was 25 when he won the Hobey 3 years ago

There have been a few players that have played in both and they always are statistically more productive in jr. Mike Comrie is a great example. In Comrie's case he went from scoring 24 goals and 59 points in 40 games for U of Michigan to scoring to scoring 39 goals and 79 points in 37 games the following year for the Kootenay Ice. I remember an interview in which he talked about h8w much easier it was playing with younger kids in jr. I thought he would be a more impactful NHLer than he became he was such a feisty, high skilled, kamikaze kind of player.

Duncan Keith is another example. He went 3-12-15 in 41 games with Michigan State his first year. His second he went 3-6-9 in 15 games before moving to Kelowna where he went 11-35-46 in 37 games.

Mat Foy is another example, he went from scoring 24 points in 31 games for Merrimack to scoring a whopping 132 points in 68 games for the Ottawa 67s the following year, an increase of over 100 points.Jamie Olesiak has more than doubled his pace this year in jr compared to last yr in the NCAA,although he is not much of a scorer. Tyler Pitlick scored 19 points in 38 games in the NCAA in 2009-10 and then scored 62 points in 56 games the following year in the WHL.

The SEL is a better league than SM-liiga. Finnish players sometimes go and play in the SEL to play in a more competitive league and Sweden is a bigger country that produces more NHL players and has had much more international success