• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Throw the bank at RFA Shea Weber?

Rate this topic

The four first-round picks are too much, but if they can keep to the tier below that (two firsts, a second, and a third) then I certainly wouldn't mind. The Wings are absolutely terrible with their first-round picks, which is why I think Holland was so willing to give one up for Quincey. Of course, if they do manage to keep it at that level, Nashville would probably match. And that's assuming that Mr. Holland is even willing to try it, considering how negatively the other GMs from around the league would look upon it.

Wow...... A top 5 Dman that you guys don't wont because of some ruff stuff..... THIS IS HOCKEY!!!!!! It happens all the time. The really funny thing is, Burt commited the worst cheap shot in hockey history, and he has been here twice! But Weber "isn't up to pair for the Wings"..... OMG.....Some of you are as bad as Notre Dame fans.......

Wow...... A top 5 Dman that you guys don't wont because of some ruff stuff..... THIS IS HOCKEY!!!!!! It happens all the time. The really funny thing is, Burt commited the worst cheap shot in hockey history, and he has been here twice! But Weber "isn't up to pair for the Wings"..... OMG.....Some of you are as bad as Notre Dame fans.......

I think for the first time ever I kind of agree with you here. Sure what Weber did was a dick move, but it didn't injure Zett and if it came down to that incident determining if people would want Weber here or not, i'm kind of surprised how many are saying they would pass because of it. Fact is, Weber is still a big, physical, scoring defensemen. What Lemieux did to Draper legitimately condemns him from this team, what Weber did to Zett doesn't in my opinion. I'd still take him in a heartbeat, the guy is among the best D guys in the league and offers just about everything you'd want out of a big defensemen.

I still don't think he leaves Nashville though.

What Bert did was against Colorado, not Detroit. I'm sure if he did what he did to a Wings player he would not be playing on this team.

Guest Crymson

Bertuzzi's incident was four years before he first donned a Red Wings jersey, and no Red Wings player was involved. There's your difference.

You're assuming all of us are thrilled Bert's here. Not all of us practice a double standard. And as evidenced by the hiring of Derian Hatcher & Todd Bertuzzi, we don't have a say in who wears the Winged Wheel and who doesn't. The fact that some of us would prefer to not sign goons doesn't make us bad fans; it makes us decent people.

You're assuming all of us are thrilled Bert's here. Not all of us practice a double standard. And as evidenced by the hiring of Derian Hatcher & Todd Bertuzzi, we don't have a say in who wears the Winged Wheel and who doesn't. The fact that some of us would prefer to not sign goons doesn't make us bad fans; it makes us decent people.

I find it odd that a guy with Vladdy in his moniker doesn't like ruff stuff. So you didn't like Probert, and Kocur and Mccarty and Shanahan and Lapointe etc..... either. keep in mind it was because of the last 4 that we started winning Cups again. I see the chickifacation of hockey is in full effect here....... Good lord guys, drop the gloves and grow a pair!

I find it odd that a guy with Vladdy in his moniker doesn't like ruff stuff. So you didn't like Probert, and Kocur and Mccarty and Shanahan and Lapointe etc..... either. keep in mind it was because of the last 4 that we started winning Cups again. I see the chickifacation of hockey is in full effect here....... Good lord guys, drop the gloves and grow a pair!

Good lord, guy, quit taking the steroids. Good physical hockey is great - gooning it up isn't. If you like that kind of rough stuff so much, just stick to cage fighting.

Good lord, guy, quit taking the steroids. Good physical hockey is great - gooning it up isn't. If you like that kind of rough stuff so much, just stick to cage fighting.

If you are such a wimp go watch soccer. As Micky points out time and time again, nothing repeat nothing gets a crowd more worked up than a good fight. Hell the great player in RW history Mr. Hockey himself has a term named after him. The Gordie Howe hat trick. Goal, assist, and a.......... FIGHT! if you don't like a good fight, might I suggest going to watch a polo match, or maybe some gymnastics. Perhaps ballet is in your future.

Guest Hatethedrake!

If you are such a wimp go watch soccer. As Micky points out time and time again, nothing repeat nothing gets a crowd more worked up than a good fight. Hell the great player in RW history Mr. Hockey himself has a term named after him. The Gordie Howe hat trick. Goal, assist, and a.......... FIGHT! if you don't like a good fight, might I suggest going to watch a polo match, or maybe some gymnastics. Perhaps ballet is in your future.

Oh look another internet tough guy. Please don't intimidate us by punching us in the face with your space bar.

As I sit in my fine hand made imported chair from Italy composed from leather in which the cattle was raised with no fences and only ate the finest organic grains and only drank from streams high atop the Alps which is filtered by artesian means while wearing my 16000 thread count Egyptian Cotten infused with the rare oils of a plant from the farthest reaches of rain forest do I take this post insulting

Edited by Rivalred

Guest Hatethedrake!

As I sit in my fine hand made imported chair from Italy composed from leather in which the cattle was raised with no fences and only ate the finest organic grains and only drank from streams high atop the Alps which is filtered by artesian means while wearing my 16000 thread count Egyptian Cotten infused with the rare oils of a plant from the farthest reaches of rain forest do I take this post insulting

Can we trade the Mule for the cattle?

Tone it down, Rich. Advocate physical hockey all you want, but pulling the Internet Tough Guy card is uncalled for.

Definitely not a fan of Shea Weber after the game 1 incident, but there's no doubt he'd make Detroit a better team. That said, there's no way he'd be worth trying to sign to an offer sheet. We'd have to offer a ridiculously high amount to ensure that Nashville doesn't simply match the deal, and then we'd lose 4 1st round picks if they didn't match.

Losing 4 1st round picks, and being sandbagged with a massively over-inflated contract? Pass. Even if it is for one of (if not THE) best defensemen currently playing the game today.

To for some credit. This is pretty good!

Tone it down, Rich. Advocate physical hockey all you want, but pulling the Internet Tough Guy card is uncalled for.

Definitely not a fan of Shea Weber after the game 1 incident, but there's no doubt he'd make Detroit a better team. That said, there's no way he'd be worth trying to sign to an offer sheet. We'd have to offer a ridiculously high amount to ensure that Nashville doesn't simply match the deal, and then we'd lose 4 1st round picks if they didn't match.

Losing 4 1st round picks, and being sandbagged with a massively over-inflated contract? Pass. Even if it is for one of (if not THE) best defensemen currently playing the game today.

Agree on the signing as a RFA. But that is a different issue. There are several posts here saying they don't want Weber period. Low class, don't need that type of stuff etc.... Well sorry but that is pure 100% BS. Worst part is, it completely ignores facts. From the mid 80's through 96 the RW's were one of the most skilled teams in all the NHL. lead or near the top in scoring year after year. raked up goals and points. How many Cups did we win? 0. it wasn't untill we learned to play D and learned how to play tough that we started to win. Look at all teh great offensive players we had during that period. oates, Klima, Yzerman, later added Federov, Kozlov, Lirianov, Coffey, Lidstorm etc...... the list goes on and on. It wasn't untill lapointe, McCarty, Shanahan, Kocur, Rouse, ward, Pushor etc...... came along, with their toughness that we started to win. Fight Night at the Joe is what made this team. There is no doubt about that. Every player on the team from 97 says so. heck....I wonder how many of the high and mighty posted threads on this forum bashing Burt when he went after weber the next game? Don't seem to be able to find any......... In fact, I seem to remember everyone in every media forum giving kudos to burt for doing it.

Guest Johnz96

Weber and Kronwall would be the scariest duo to play against and no other pair of d-men could score nearly as many goals

Edited by Johnz96

Rather have Suter.

esteef

Suter was drafted higher as well, same year.

Agree on the signing as a RFA. But that is a different issue. There are several posts here saying they don't want Weber period. Low class, don't need that type of stuff etc.... Well sorry but that is pure 100% BS. Worst part is, it completely ignores facts. From the mid 80's through 96 the RW's were one of the most skilled teams in all the NHL. lead or near the top in scoring year after year. raked up goals and points. How many Cups did we win? 0. it wasn't untill we learned to play D and learned how to play tough that we started to win. Look at all teh great offensive players we had during that period. oates, Klima, Yzerman, later added Federov, Kozlov, Lirianov, Coffey, Lidstorm etc...... the list goes on and on. It wasn't untill lapointe, McCarty, Shanahan, Kocur, Rouse, ward, Pushor etc...... came along, with their toughness that we started to win. Fight Night at the Joe is what made this team. There is no doubt about that. Every player on the team from 97 says so. heck....I wonder how many of the high and mighty posted threads on this forum bashing Burt when he went after weber the next game? Don't seem to be able to find any......... In fact, I seem to remember everyone in every media forum giving kudos to burt for doing it.

People are not talking about fighting or standing up for your team, they're talking about being a ******* ****** bag goon.

Edited by rrasco

how many of the Wings tough guys in the 90s slammed an opponents head into the glass? theres a difference between a normal hockey fight and slamming a guys head into the glass

You mean like when Premeau used to hit guys in the head with his stick while sitting on the bench? Point is, this stuff happens, always will happen, and I don't care. I still want the best players on my team that we can get. Weber is one of the, if not the best Dman in the NHL right now. I would welcome him with open arms! I would also be willing to bet, so would Zetterberg, Holland, and babcock.

how many of the Wings tough guys in the 90s slammed an opponents head into the glass? theres a difference between a normal hockey fight and slamming a guys head into the glass

You mean like this?

The Red Wings weren't angels back in the day. If they go back to that tough, rough, slightly dirty game, I'll be fine with it. I enjoy new types of Wings teams.

You mean like this?

The Red Wings weren't angels back in the day. If they go back to that tough, rough, slightly dirty game, I'll be fine with it. I enjoy new types of Wings teams.

Kozlov was one of the Wings tough guys?

Simple and needle sharp...he is not worth 4 first round draft picks...nobody is. I wouldn't even give 4 first round picks for Malkin or Ovechkin or Tavares or even Stamkos... If we were talking about one 1st and a 3rd...ya then for sure, but not 4 1st's...

Well lets see what Suter does I am sure it will have an impact on Shea Weber one way or the other but lets be honest here if Z will be our new captain there is no way in hell Weber will ever wear the winged wheel which is a shame.

At some point people have to accept the idea of becoming a tougher again, we won't have Nicks hockey IQ and exceptional position play from now on so time for our D to toughen up and add some in your face guys.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Johnz96

Well lets see what Suter does I am sure it will have an impact on Shea Weber one way or the other but lets be honest here if Z will be our new captain there is no way in hell Weber will ever wear the winged wheel which is a shame.

At some point people have to accept the idea of becoming a tougher again, we won't have Nicks hockey IQ and exceptional position play from now on so time for our D to toughen up and add some in your face guys.

I think Z would love to have him on the team

Guest Hatethedrake!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.750m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Travis Moen ($1.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Brandon Prust ($1.750m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Justin Schultz ($2.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.250m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,208,712; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $91,288

I completely welcome the Wings toughening up but I don't want my top d-man top be the tough guy. Too valuable on the ice and you know he'll be encouraged not to fight in Detroit. Save that for a 3rd or 4th line toughie. Suter will probably be cheaper, has better hockey sense, is a better puck handler which really helps the defensive zone breakout and the PP and hasn't had concussion problems. I'd go with Suter.

esteef