• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Would love either one of them if we can't land Suter or Parise, but I think they'd be far too difficult and too expensive to get.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

The problem with RFAs, assuming one actually worth signing, is that you have to overpay pretty significantly to get them, then also have to pay the compensation picks.

The Jets gave $4.4M to Ladd, 5.2M to Buffy, and they still need to spend $17.5M just to get to the cap floor (assuming the $70M cap stays). Maybe in wet-dream-land they'd let a not-quite-21 y.o. 30-goal scorer walk for that price, but realistically you'd probably have to offer up around $6M before they'd even think about not matching. At that, you're risking paying a guy a lot more than he's worth if he stagnates or backslides, as well as giving up a 1st (possibly even two!), a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Same for any RFA really. You get them to sign at a fair price, the team that owns them will just match it. You're just doing their negotiating for them.