• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

2012 General Offseason Signing Thread

Rate this topic

To the similar cap hit post: I'm pretty sure campbells contract has something to do with Florida reaching the cap floor.

Actually it has more to do with Tallon giving out a stupid big contract to Campbell when he was the Blackhawks GM.

From http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/06/20/keith_acton_columbus_blue_jackets_assistant_coach_maple_leafs/

The Columbus Blue Jackets added longtime Toronto Maple Leafs assistant coach Keith Acton to their coaching staff on Wednesday.

The move comes on the same day that Craig Hartsburg was named associate coach of the Blue Jackets.

It doesn't say if he'll be paid or not.

Was just about to post this...

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Breaking news: Hearing Jordan Staal turned down 10-yr mega offer from PIT. Has indicated to PIT he doesn't plan on signing extension now.

Joe Yerdon@JoeYerdonPHT

New PHT - Report: Jordan Staal has “legitimate” desire to play for Canes if Penguins can’t sign him http://dlvr.it/1lXF72

Don't know if the second quote means anything but was interesting to see

Turned down 10 yr / 60m? So is it greed? Doesn't want to play in Pitt? Wants to play with his brother? Hmm

Well Jordan has expressed an interest in playing in Carolina with his brother (https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/215928704738664449). I actually don't think its the money, but rather the length of the deal. At 23, he's probably figuring within 10 years, he'll be worth more than $6 mil per year. Even if its front loaded, I doubt he'll want to be playing for a $1 mil per year at age 34. I also think he might want to sign a shorter deal with someone else where he'll be a top 6 forward, put up bigger numbers to earn himself a bigger contract and then settle down in Carolina. Or maybe he just wants to go straight to Carolina . Either way, he's not going to be in Pittsburgh much longer which might be a good thing for them considering Crosby's and Malkin's contracts are going to be up soon and Shero dishes out contracts like there isn't a salary cap.

Well Jordan has expressed an interest in playing in Carolina with his brother (https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/215928704738664449). I actually don't think its the money, but rather the length of the deal. At 23, he's probably figuring within 10 years, he'll be worth more than $6 mil per year. Even if its front loaded, I doubt he'll want to be playing for a $1 mil per year at age 34. I also think he might want to sign a shorter deal with someone else where he'll be a top 6 forward, put up bigger numbers to earn himself a bigger contract and then settle down in Carolina. Or maybe he just wants to go straight to Carolina . Either way, he's not going to be in Pittsburgh much longer which might be a good thing for them considering Crosby's and Malkin's contracts are going to be up soon and Shero dishes out contracts like there isn't a salary cap.

Yea that all makes sense. I don't blame him really.. If I was in the NHL and had a chance to play with my brother, I'd want that too.

Just a note: I'd like to have the individual signings and trades to be broken up into individual topics to help encourage conversation on individual transactions rather than one "mega-thread". It's a bit of a policy change that's been occasionally enforced in the past, but I for one don't like to sift through a 12+ page thread to find a transaction that was done last week. (Yes, it means more topics on the front page, but a necessary evil to make for an easier browsing experience in regards to finding the conversation you're looking for.)